Author Topic: Is this cassette worn out?  (Read 1438 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Is this cassette worn out?
« on: 12 September, 2017, 09:12:39 am »
Having a play with B-i-L's bike last night trying to get the gears to change smoothly and noted what looks like very excessive hooking on the sprockets of a bike that has only done 1k miles.
2017-09-12_09-04-53 by Vince Hall, on Flickr
I'm never sure whether it's wear or just a funky sprocket design for quicker shifts.
Thanks.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Re: Is this cassette worn out?
« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:06:34 am »
I agree with the above. That chain looks like it might be bloody awful to me too.

The sprockets are also showing clear signs of wear (again consistent with being used solely with a worn chain). I'd bung a new chain on and see if it skips under load; if it does, a new cassette is in order.   If you carry on with the current arrangement the chainrings and everything else will soon be trashed.

BTW once the new chain wears to ~0.5% it might run OK on the old cassette. If you are imaginative, you can mix and match parts in a useful way; the newer cassette will take a new chain when the chain that was used with it is worn to 0.5%.

See here;
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=115336
for a method using a digital Vernier caliper that gives an accurate measurement of chain wear.

cheers

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2017, 12:16:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I checked the chain with a Park chain gauge, and it seemed fine. However, I gather these tools may be flawed?

My concern is the low apparent mileage of the bike. B-i-L bought it from a friend who had had it from new and only rode it around the block. I doubt if B-i-L has done anywhere near 1000 miles on it. I'm just wondering if it was in fact second hand when said friend bought it. Do Evans sell second hand bikes?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2017, 12:22:23 pm »
Is this 8 speed? You can buy a replacement chain and cassette for under £20. Easy enough to swap over if you have a whip and socket.

The bloke who sold it originally may have been fibbing or missold it. With bikes second hand, you have little way of telling if it actually was rode round the block by the seller they bought it off.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2017, 03:26:59 pm »
I've just looked again at the picture and duh! -the daylight I can see under the chain is because the sprocket is drilled.... ::-). That explains why the chain doesn't measure worn; it isn't.....

cheers