Author Topic: How do I change the cable on this Shimano shifter?  (Read 1448 times)

How do I change the cable on this Shimano shifter?
« on: 25 September, 2017, 04:46:05 pm »
This is the gear shifter of d-in-l's Raleigh Trail 1000 (which is actually quite a nice bicylette). The transmission is Acera (I think, but 7sp; the front mech is definitely Acera, the rear is sort of pressed steel and cheap like a Tourney). Normally I can see where the cable goes in on these Rapidfire style shifters but on this one I can't see much at all. There are covers with screws that have moving indicators and undoubtedly pingfuckets inside but usually one doesn't remove them to change cables. No identification so I can't really google it.

Any help greatly appreciated. It goes back to UK on friday!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: How do I change the cable on this Shimano shifter?
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2017, 04:51:54 pm »
my memory of one of those seems to be removing the top cover. Can't remember anything pingfuckiting around.  The anchor is under the central boss IIRC

Brucey will be along in a mo anyhow
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2017, 05:35:31 pm »
they'll be marked with the model number beneath and yes, I think you do remove the top cover to change the cable.

cheers

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2017, 06:53:25 pm »
further to the above they appear to be ST-EF28 model and the SI techdoc  (including cable change procedure and illustrations) is here

https://www.paul-lange.de/tradepro/shop/artikel/docs/einbauanleitungen/SHIMANO/STEF28_8TEN-SIR711A-EN.pdf

IIRC you need a #0 or #1 point phillips screwdriver for the cover screws, and it is best if the shifters are set in the 'cable full slack' position as the covers/gear indicators are removed and replaced, so that the mechanism lines up correctly and the cable can be inserted easily.

I expect there is a video on youtube too, but whether it is any good I cannot say....

cheers

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2017, 08:26:21 pm »
Piece o'cake. Undo the two phillips screws and lift the covers off. Spend the next 40 minutes searching for the screws that have **cked off under the workbench.

Notorious for the cables getting stuck in the drum (I have NEVER changed them without resorting to bad swears) and a needle pointed pick is essential.

As Brucey said, RH shifter in 7, LH in 1. Don't forget to bottom the adjusters before fitting the new cable then stretch/settle the inners and outers, undo the pinch bolts and manually retension the cables before attempting the indexing.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:43:31 pm »
Many thanks for all of that; I will get that sorted in the next couple of days.

« Reply #6 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:15:15 pm »
Job done, all came out and went back really easily, no problems setting the indexing and I didn't even lose a screw - although my arthritic fingers were a bit stressed. Many thanks to all

« Reply #7 on: 28 September, 2017, 10:46:02 pm »
Job done, all came out and went back really easily, no problems setting the indexing and I didn't even lose a screw - although my arthritic fingers were a bit stressed. Many thanks to all

You should become a cycle mechanic!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8 on: 28 September, 2017, 11:46:59 pm »
That's too easy. He's a nenjinneer IRL, hard sums 'nevryfink...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.