Author Topic: Can I get my Samsung phone to talk to me?  (Read 1954 times)

Can I get my Samsung phone to talk to me?
« on: 28 October, 2017, 07:39:08 pm »
I often wear a bluetooth earpiece which allows me to talk to clients and write / type at the same time.  My Galaxy S7 lives in my trouser pocket.  It would be extremely helpful if it could announce the caller ID when known rather than me having to take the phone out of my pocket and squint to try and work out who is calling.

I cannot find this option anywhere on the phone.  Does anybody know if this is possible please?

Re: Can I get my Samsung phone to talk to me?
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:44:38 pm »
That's a great find Mrs Pingu.  I'll give it a try.

Thank you very much indeed. 

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:52:05 pm »
You could set different ringtones for each contact.

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:53:19 pm »

Does that work through an earpiece?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2018, 09:01:07 pm »
First play with Talkback.  A long learning experience.  It requires different interaction with the screen than with Talkback off which initially is a total PITA.   Whoever designed that must be a loon.

I'll play more when I have more time on my hands.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2018, 09:34:45 pm »

Does that work through an earpiece?
It works with wired headphones.
Not tried it with Bluetooth, that might be weird. I suspect it depends on the model of phone, and Android version, and model of headset etc. Seems Android 8.0 should improve this.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2018, 10:26:49 pm »
First play with Talkback.  A long learning experience.  It requires different interaction with the screen than with Talkback off which initially is a total PITA.   Whoever designed that must be a loon.

I'll play more when I have more time on my hands.

Apple's Voice over is like that too. It assumes you have no sight and want to navigate solely by voice.

I wonder if talking to AbilityNet is worthwhile, they're a charity with a free helpline for people to call with assistive tech queries and their tech cred seems to be consistently excellent in my engagements with them https://www.abilitynet.org.uk/call-our-free-helpline-0800-269-545

I don't know much about screenreadery tech on android cos it's not very accessible to me personally for obvious reasons. I only know about voice over cos it's what most of my blindblind totally screenreader needing friends use by preference. Android is more variable but I think AbilityNet might know about something which reads text but doesn't piss about...

Also I'll try asking on twitter "for a friend".

« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2018, 10:44:41 pm »
From what I saw of AbilityNet a few years ago - professional interaction rather than a user's perspective - I'd second barakta's recommendations. Good people, and know that of which they speak.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2018, 10:53:43 pm »
I suspect it depends on the model of phone, and Android version, and model of headset etc.

I thought this was a standard feature, but couldn't find it on my phone.  Searching the web suggests that it's one of those things that's horrendously version and manufacturer specific.

Android accessibility is still playing catch-up with the Mega-global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia in this respect.