Author Topic: World cup 2018  (Read 61092 times)

Re: World cup 2018
« Reply #175 on: 25 June, 2018, 05:05:09 pm »
Uruguay - tidy outfit. Won all three games. Organized with fire power - could cause problems for either Spain or Portugal.

On paper, the game I'm looking forward too is Serbia v Brazil. Be great to see a Neymer meltdown an upset in the final group game.
Garry Broad

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #176 on: 25 June, 2018, 05:14:30 pm »
The one I'm looking forward to is Nigeria-Argentina. I predict it won't finish with 22 players on the pitch.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #177 on: 25 June, 2018, 06:54:47 pm »
Uruguay - tidy outfit. Won all three games. Organized with fire power - could cause problems for either Spain or Portugal.

I don't think they are in that league but they are awkward, and Suarez will stop at literally nothing to make sure the odds are swung in their favour.  He's a nasty cheating c*** at heart and I predict he'll revert to type if they go a goal down.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #178 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:11:31 pm »
Without Suarez Uruguay are a bit toothless, said Mr Larrington, recycling an old joak.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #179 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:19:37 pm »

I don't think they are in that league but they are awkward, and Suarez will stop at literally nothing to make sure the odds are swung in their favour.  He's a nasty cheating c*** at heart and I predict he'll revert to type if they go a goal down.

Spain maybe not, but Uruguay are no walkover and as far as Portugal goes if I had to put down money, I wouldn't be quite so confident betting against Uruguay. Interesting they changed their system for the game against Russia, and looked very compact. Suarez may be a cheating c***, and an easy target to dislike [as I do also] but he's also a ferocious goal scorer and a consummate footballer. And unlike Argentina, Uruguay are not a one man team.

[And Spain 1 down against Morocco as I type this - doubt that will be a final score, but it's another example of the big boys having a rocket or two up their arses!]
Garry Broad

« Reply #180 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:20:49 pm »
Without Suarez Uruguay are a bit toothless, said Mr Larrington, recycling an old joak.

Old ones are the worst  :)
Garry Broad

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #181 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:28:50 pm »
Oh no, it's happened, I've fallen into the emotional trap of placing some hope in England's future performance...
But surely that's what hope is about??

Sure, you can expect (or be prepared for) the worst ... but if you're not hoping for something, then there's no joy in the outcome (good or bad).

The purely cynical life is IMHO a joyless one  O:-)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #182 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:48:14 pm »
We are clearly having a positive WC2018 experience on YACF - I haven't seen a single moan about commentators yet. Someone has to ...

My nomination for irritating phrase-of-the-tournament:

" in his locker".

( Lee Dixon being the chief offender )

[ It goes without saying that Jonathan wotshisface should be confined to Robot Wars. Still a twat  ::-)   ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #183 on: 25 June, 2018, 08:50:01 pm »
Oh no, it's happened, I've fallen into the emotional trap of placing some hope in England's future performance...
But surely that's what hope is about??

Sure, you can expect (or be prepared for) the worst ... but if you're not hoping for something, then there's no joy in the outcome (good or bad).

The purely cynical life is IMHO a joyless one  O:-)

When it comes to England I shall for the moment do my best to remain a grounded realist while enjoying any future progress.   :thumbsup: 

Now back to Spain v Morrocco...   :o
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #184 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:32:01 pm »
I haven't seen a single moan about commentators yet. Someone has to ...
Well it won't be me don't think. People's reaction can be very much marmite when it comes to commentators, but I'm quite fortunate in this regard as I tend not to have a bad reaction to anybody in the box really.

Have to say Mark Lawrenson was cracking value this evening during the Portugal VAR Iran game.

"First he scores a brilliant goal then the next minute he goes down like he's been hit by a lorry....... do me a favour!"

:D

[ It goes without sayi.g that Jonathan wotshisface should be confined to Robot Wars. Still a twat  ::-)   ]
ummmm....sounds stressful... this kind of reaction must make it quite difficult for you to watch a game when Jonathan Pearce [is the name you were looking for] is commentating Matt!  :)

Garry Broad

« Reply #185 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:38:49 pm »
Maybe my brain's tired ,but was there a point in tonight's matches where Portugal could have pushed Spain out by conceding a goal to Iran?

« Reply #186 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:53:32 pm »
Maybe my brain's tired ,but was there a point in tonight's matches where Portugal could have pushed Spain out by conceding a goal to Iran?

Yes and no.

Yes but not quite - if Morrocco had beaten Spain - which they nearly did and Iran had beaten Portugal. Iran would have gone through on 6 points with Spain and Portugal both on 4 but I think Spain would have edged it with a better discipliniary record.

No, what nearly happened was Portugal came close to being knocked out by a late goal from Iran....this only after a farcical VAR decision awarded Iran a penalty to get back on level terms at 1-1.

Goodness knows what the reaction would have been had Iran scored that goal. And it would not have been pretty. It probably would have made headline news!!
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #187 on: 25 June, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
Who are the blithering idiots commentating?

We are clearly having a positive WC2018 experience on YACF - I haven't seen a single moan about commentators yet. Someone has to ...

My nomination for irritating phrase-of-the-tournament:

" in his locker".

( Lee Dixon being the chief offender )

[ It goes without saying that Jonathan wotshisface should be confined to Robot Wars. Still a twat  ::-)   ]
It is simpler than it looks.

essexian

« Reply #188 on: 26 June, 2018, 07:21:57 am »
VAR AGAIN  :facepalm: >:(

So, back to the Portugal V Iran game, the Ref "assisted" by VAR got a major decision wrong, got one right (it should have been a red card for elbowing someone in the face and not a yellow....the Ref bottled it IMHO due to who it was) and perhaps got one right in the Portugal penalty (but who knows....too much falling over like the player had been hit by a lorry, to quote the BBC) but as it was not 100% clear, should have stuck with their first decision.

I think this is how VAR is working...or not working in fact.

Ref in real time: "Get up to cheating fool...."

Bleep in Ref's ear. VAR person: "Ref we think you should look at at that again."

Ref...thinking: "Oh, rude word, if I got it wrong then I won't get other games in the cup" Goes off to check and sees the slight touch, ball to hand etc and thinks: "Well they thought it was, I must give it or go home."

Thus, I think as VAR are telling the Ref what to do, they are putting pressure on the Ref to make decisions which reflect what the VAR person thinks. Thus, the Ref's decision is no longer final.

Of course, all of the above may be total rubbish.  :-[

If we are going to have to put up with VAR it needs to change. Firstly, I would only use it upon the request of the Referee to check for things like off sides, was the foul inside or out of the box and the like: factual decisions. Then, the Ref could refer the matter to the VAR if they wanted something checking like they do in Rugby. For example, the Ref could ask the VAR who made first contact, was their pulling in the box etc. A yes or no question which there has to be clear evidence to prove.

Finally, how about allowing the team manager to have one VAR challenge per half? They could do, as they do in American Football, "throw a flag" or something and ask for a decision to be looked at again. Perhaps to make it interesting, they could ask for a second review or more per half but if they do so, then the team loses a substitute if the decision goes against them... that would make it interesting. Perhaps.... if they make a second request which fails after using all their subs, then they should lose an out field player for the rest of the game.... ;D :o

Frankly, IMHO, VAR is not working, and just like Golden Goals, needs to be either ended as an experiment, or fundamentally changed. I am surprised it went forward so half baked. I mean, its not like FIFA to get things so badly wrong.

« Reply #189 on: 26 June, 2018, 08:31:19 am »

Yes and no.

Yes but not quite - if Morrocco had beaten Spain - which they nearly did and Iran had beaten Portugal. Iran would have gone through on 6 points with Spain and Portugal both on 4 but I think Spain would have edged it with a better discipliniary record.

No, what nearly happened was Portugal came close to being knocked out by a late goal from Iran....this only after a farcical VAR decision awarded Iran a penalty to get back on level terms at 1-1.

Goodness knows what the reaction would have been had Iran scored that goal. And it would not have been pretty. It probably would have made headline news!!
Cheers for that, Garry.  Of course, with Uruguay so much stiffer a challenge than Russia in the round of 16, (even if the disciplinary record had been the othr way round) it wouldn't have been worthwhile for the Portuguese to give up their position at the top of the group to stymie the Spanish...  Not to mention it would have caused as much of an uproar as the Disgrace of Gijón!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #190 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:20:10 am »

I haven't watched a single game (yet) but fret not, the Tour starts soon and we can all take the piss out of *** and Super D.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #191 on: 26 June, 2018, 10:46:46 am »
To paraphrase Tolkien, “We are the biting Uruguay!”
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #192 on: 26 June, 2018, 11:08:20 am »
How about, instead of this farcical stop-start VAR approach, a team is give 2 "VAR Calls" per half (like Hawkeye in Tennis)?  If the call goes your way then you still have 2 calls.  If it goes against you then you lose it.  Currently it relies on an official noticing a potential infringement but they miss off-the-ball incidents all the time.

That way Harry Kane could have called out the many rugby tackles OR..it may start preventing such rugby tackles (which is what we all actually want).

OR...scrap VAR and just keep goal-line technology.  That's all most people were demanding in the first place.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #193 on: 26 June, 2018, 12:36:58 pm »
Test Cricket and Tennis are the only sports (that I watch) where appeal systems have proved popular (but not perfect):

they both use the "n Calls" allowed system wot Lee describes.

So that's probably the only way to make them work in Soccer too.

(I actually think the system Rugby use is far from perfect - it slows down the match too much. It only rarely adds anything.)

[ personally I think all appeals and/or video replays are a daft idea - sport is about humans making decisions and making mistakes. If Ronny can miss penalties, the refs can get things wrong sometimes too. The results of games are decided by the players' actions - these handful of debateable decisions by the officials have a very minor impact on the scorelines.  play on! ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #194 on: 26 June, 2018, 04:52:27 pm »
It's all getting set up very nicely for England to be on the receiving end of a terrible VAR decision - so we can all get outrageously upset and annoyed :)
Garry Broad

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #195 on: 26 June, 2018, 06:51:29 pm »
Was glad to see Peru win. Australia seemed quite foul-happy. Had a bit of a look at France-Denmark but it looked rather boring; reckon both teams were playing with the awareness that a draw suited them so no point provoking the opposition! A drawback of the group format that was supposed to have been fixed by playing both final games simultaneously.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #196 on: 26 June, 2018, 07:39:40 pm »
it looked rather boring; reckon both teams were playing with the awareness that a draw suited them so no point provoking the opposition! A drawback of the group format that was supposed to have been fixed by playing both final games simultaneously.
You'll never "fix" that problem - but the current format makes it much less common.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #197 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:03:13 pm »
it looked rather boring; reckon both teams were playing with the awareness that a draw suited them so no point provoking the opposition! A drawback of the group format that was supposed to have been fixed by playing both final games simultaneously.
You'll never "fix" that problem - but the current format makes it much less common.
AIUI the simultaneous last game idea was introduced after Germany and Austria, IIRC, played out a spiritless nil-nil draw realizing they would both get through whereas if Germany won, Algeria would go through in second place. Might have been sort of 1978-ish. Might have been Switzerland rather than Austria. Or someone else. Point is, the current system doesn't stop that kind of "convenient un-match". It might be impossible to prevent in a group system, I'm not going to sit down and do the probabilities! Could always go to a fully knockout format... but that's probably for another thread, another time!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #198 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:04:08 pm »
Not sure about the ref's decision not to award the penalty for handball in Nigeria-Argentina. Looked like a good decision on balance.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #199 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:08:27 pm »
Most unimpressed with Maradonna's performance from the balcony. Hard to believe he was once a world class athlete.