Author Topic: Food fails from around the world  (Read 13221 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Food fails from around the world
« Reply #100 on: 21 December, 2017, 09:35:08 pm »
Chinese food. The proper stuff. I hate to insult an entire nation but I'll do it anyway. The parts of animals you don't want to eat floating in cartilaginous muck and you're forced to eat it with sticks while other westerners tell you how authentic it is. There's a good reason we have our anodyne anglicised Chinese food.

I cannot disagree.
I spent several months working in Changsha, capital of Hunan province.
I cannot remember (Well, it was probably in my teens) the last time KFC and Rotten Ronnies was the go to nutritional option - the KFC is really rather good inasmuch as it is really spicy / hot.
Most memorably, the worst meal (by far) we encountered was the roast beef and veg from the English Restaurant on the 19th floor of our hotel.

Hunan makes the top 5 in my favourite types of Chinese cuisine list. Top pick is XinJiang closely followed by Sichuan. I am a very, very fussy eater, so much so that even in an English restaurant it is rare to be more than one main I could order happily. But in China, as long as you don't mind risking upsetting your hosts, the food is amazing! Mushrooms I can't eat here but in China they are absolutely fine, same goes for cabbage. Quite often though Mrs PC will taste an unrecognisable titbit first and tell me if I'm likely to like it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #101 on: 22 December, 2017, 09:53:07 am »
I have read that the first pizza emporium to put pineapple on a pizza was located in Toronto.  This completely cancels out the invention of poutine.  Bad Canuckistanis!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #102 on: 22 December, 2017, 10:27:06 am »
I am the anti-Bobb.

Solely in matters culinary, or does it extend to the tonsorial as well? :demon:

I'm tidily trimmed and ready for rapid deployment to any thought leadership incident. I hear Bobb looks like a hastily blow-dried yak.

« Reply #103 on: 22 December, 2017, 11:02:22 am »
I have read that the first pizza emporium to put pineapple on a pizza was located in Toronto.  This completely cancels out the invention of poutine.  Bad Canuckistanis!

So that's why they apologise the whole time.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche