Author Topic: Cascade 1200  (Read 6872 times)

Re: Cascade 1200
« Reply #25 on: 17 January, 2018, 03:46:38 pm »
Yes

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 17 January, 2018, 03:48:19 pm »
Correct, as with most countries running BRMs and LRMs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 17 January, 2018, 03:48:50 pm »
Cool

« Reply #28 on: 17 January, 2018, 06:11:16 pm »
It’s interesting how  the internet and forums like this affect riders. A small group of Brits rode the last BMB 13 years ago. It’s a hard 1200. However with little information we turned up, rode, had fun, made new friends some of which I still keep in touch with and occasionally ride with to this day. It didn’t  come into our thoughts that we wouldn’t complete on time or would need rescuing. I think I preferred the days of not much information.  You just put your entry in because the ride sounded good and your mates where riding and rode. Now folks get to know lots, on this thread especially the DNFs and feel concerned about riding.

If I knew others  doing the ride I’d be a lot less worried, but alas I don’t have many cycling mates (certainly not at this level who’d also be up for flying half way round the world).
I think for this ride it’s the combination of a small field, in a remote area, in a foreign country (although English speaking helps, I’m rubbish at languages!) that was worrying me. Now I know there is a broom wagon, the remoteness has been reduced (I will still be carrying the kitchen sink of course, I don’t go to the shops without my Carradice!)
I’m not sure if the additional info helps my worrying or not!

..... an enhanced sense of post-PBP invincibility from the year before...

Funny you should say that. I am concious of a post-LEL equivalent! I’m glad I’ve recognised it early, assisted by suffering a lot more than I should (ie at all) on a 200 last weekend (although I have had a cold and have an ear infection and hadn’t ridden at all for a month) that was a catalyst to not forget training!!! My calendar is now bulging...

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 17 January, 2018, 08:47:43 pm »
In many parts of the world, 100 starters is a huge field and there might be a couple of dozen on the start line. Cascade is a lot bigger than that. Edit: it is only a small field in the context of PBP and LEL. For what little it is worth, HK prefers the sub-200 rider 1200s for better camaraderie.

Just go into it with proper preparation (prevents etc.) and a resolute determination to finish what you already know will be a tough event. Lots of other folk finish it, so you can too, after some training. The natives are quite friendly in my experience and you will likely to make some treasured memories and possibly even some lifelong friends.

« Reply #30 on: 17 January, 2018, 09:55:17 pm »
In many parts of the world, 100 starters is a huge field and there might be a couple of dozen on the start line. Cascade is a lot bigger than that.

From the Cascade web site:

There will be a limit of 100 riders. A waitlist will be maintained over that number.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 17 January, 2018, 10:05:07 pm »
Cascade is a lot bigger than a couple of dozen starters. Why do you think that I referred to a 100 rider field?

« Reply #32 on: 17 January, 2018, 10:22:07 pm »
Why did you assume I did?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 17 January, 2018, 10:29:21 pm »
Because you misinterpreted my post.

« Reply #34 on: 18 January, 2018, 04:00:41 am »
Once over the Cascades it is all a bit bleak and sparse - think Northern Exposure which was filmed just east of the Cascades and doubled for Alaska - and whilst not quite matching the 'Deliverance' environment, you might not come back if you end up soloing!  ::-)

On the plus side, some of us have indoor plumbing nowadays, and even electricity. Although, most of us out here in bandit country still subsist on roadkill and the occasional ground squirrel. Best not to bring your daughters this side of the mountains, anyhow.

« Reply #35 on: 18 January, 2018, 07:31:03 am »
I think I’m going to go for it.

I do prefer smaller U.K. brevets as they tend to be friendlier. My experience of long (over 600km) rides is limited to LEL where you were never alone, so ‘small field’ is all relative! I’m pretty happy riding solo though, indeed I often prefer it.

Time to get some Proper Preperation in.....

John

« Reply #36 on: 18 January, 2018, 02:01:10 pm »
I do prefer smaller U.K. brevets as they tend to be friendlier.

You will find US riders very friendly, mostly non-competitive, helpful and generally do not leave riders behind. You will enjoy the ride and the company.

« Reply #37 on: 18 January, 2018, 02:08:11 pm »
On the plus side, some of us have indoor plumbing nowadays, and even electricity. Although, most of us out here in bandit country still subsist on roadkill and the occasional ground squirrel. Best not to bring your daughters this side of the mountains, anyhow.

I was starting a hike on the Ozark Highland Trail one time and had parked at a trail head when a pleasant old chap drove up, got out of his somewhat rickerty truck with gun in hand and announced to my wife and me that his wife fancied squirrel for dinner.

Actually, to pick up on your comment, the east side of the Cascades are just as nice in their way as those areas around the Sound, and a great deal more affordable, you are lucky to be living there - even if the outhouse is at the end of the garden.  ::-)

« Reply #38 on: 19 January, 2018, 05:26:36 am »
A friend was talking about this the other day - am I right in thinking all RUSA events have a 'must wear helmet' rule?

Yes, you must wear it at all times on the bike.  Failure to do so is grounds for disqualification.

We also have rules around reflective and lighting requirements.   You'll be be required to present your bike and gear for inspection.

« Reply #39 on: 19 January, 2018, 05:34:13 am »
I think I’m going to go for it.

I do prefer smaller U.K. brevets as they tend to be friendlier. My experience of long (over 600km) rides is limited to LEL where you were never alone, so ‘small field’ is all relative! I’m pretty happy riding solo though, indeed I often prefer it.

There are entry qualifications, so be sure to read up on the requirements.    If you want to stay abreast of registration information, please join the Interested Riders list on the cascade website.   cascade1200.com

« Reply #40 on: 19 January, 2018, 06:18:38 am »
There are entry qualifications, so be sure to read up on the requirements.    If you want to stay abreast of registration information, please join the Interested Riders list on the cascade website.   cascade1200.com

I’m already on the list, and with an SR series and LEL last year I’m pretty sure I qualify, plus I have another (rather hilly!) SR series in the diary for this year.

Do you know when the GPX are going to be published?

Cheers

John

« Reply #41 on: 24 January, 2018, 07:33:17 am »

I’m already on the list, and with an SR series and LEL last year I’m pretty sure I qualify, plus I have another (rather hilly!) SR series in the diary for this year.

Do you know when the GPX are going to be published?

Yep, sounds like you're qualified.

As for GPX, no time soon.  Drafts will go up sometime in the spring.

« Reply #42 on: 31 January, 2018, 03:15:53 am »
A link to the following (and more) was just posted on the Seattle International Randonneurs' Facebook page:

"Registration for the 2018 Cascade 1200 opens at 6am Pacific on Friday February 2nd!
"This year, the event is limited to 100 riders. The ride fee will be $475, with certain discounts available. (See the registration process described below for details.)
In an effort to accommodate as many international riders as possible, registration spots will be allocated as follows: 80 spots will be immediately available to riders from the United States and Canada. These spots are expected to fill within a day. A waiting list will be maintained beyond that. 20 spots will be immediately available for riders from all other countries. If not immediately filled, these places will be held open for international riders through the end of February. Any unfilled international spots will be offered to to wait-listed US/Canada riders on March 1st."
"Registration for the event will be a 2-step process."

http://seattlerando.org/C1200/ will get you to the Cascade 1200 homepage, where this information (and more details) can be found.

As I recall, Pacific Standard Time is GMT -8, so this is about 2pm on Friday.  Three days to get the information together which it says you will need to supply.

See you at the finish in Snohomish!

« Reply #43 on: 03 February, 2018, 12:37:00 am »
Cascade 1200 is now open.    Spots are still available both in our international carve out as well as for US/Canadian riders.    Come join us on one of the premier 1200s in North America!   http://seattlerando.org/C1200/

« Reply #44 on: 03 February, 2018, 06:52:08 am »
Well, I’m in!  :o

Any other AUKs coming along this year?

John

« Reply #45 on: 03 February, 2018, 11:12:48 am »
Enjoy the ride. It's amazing. Hope you enjoyed the report.

« Reply #46 on: 03 February, 2018, 01:46:46 pm »
Posted by: JohnL
Well, I’m in!  :o

Any other AUKs coming along this year?

John

Was hoping to get back and address my DNF on this in 2016 but injury recovery still not on track and doc has enforced a bike ban so I wouldn't be anywhere near fit for this, so turning towards PBP next year as a target.

JohnL you'll enjoy it, the field splits up quickly but chatting with others at Snohomish (top coffee and pastries from Moleman76) meant I spent the day I did ride in company and enjoyed it as much as I could until I got dropped off and realised things weren't going my way. Scenery is fantastic, wish i'd got to have seen the areas east of the Cascades  :(

Very well organised and run event, no wonder the Seattle group are so good at PBP  :)

« Reply #47 on: 08 April, 2018, 10:15:24 pm »
There are still places available.  And, if you act quickly - April 12 is the cutoff - the event jersey is one you might want to wear:

https://mailchi.mp/f91af0a71cd9/spaces-still-available-register-now-1412853

On the last day, you'll get to ride over two passes higher than Ben Nevis, and come to see me at the final control in Snohomish.