Author Topic: iphone network locking issue  (Read 3198 times)

iphone network locking issue
« on: 02 March, 2018, 09:24:34 pm »
We bought a SIM-free iphone 5S a couple of yrs ago from CarPhoneWarehouse, this phone has been used with a TalkTalk SIM (Vodafone UK network) since.  Now I'm attempting to change it to another SIM only deal with a different provider on 3 network.  With new SIM card in iphone, it's says it's locked to previous provider!!  "SIM NOT SUPORTED...under the activation policy that is currently aasigned by the activation server... Insert SIM card from supported carrier".  TalkTalk gave a link to DoctorSim where you need to pay to have it unlocked.    >:(   My daughter has an iphone SE (bought SIM free from Apple), which last week she was able to move from TalkTalk (Vodafone) to same new provider, with NO unlocking.

Any ideas what's going on?   :-\

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: iphone network locking issue
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2018, 09:50:21 pm »
Was the 5S purchased with the talktalk SIM? If so, it would seem that CPWH have asked Apple to lock the phone.

A quick google shows this https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/General-Technology-Tips-Tricks/My-Iphone-is-locked-to-the-TALKTALK-network/td-p/1874035

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2018, 09:56:10 pm »
Thanks.  I'd just seen the same thing...  The 5S was bought SIM free.   

Is it true that an iPhone locks itself to the first network it registers, if NOT bought from Apple? 

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2018, 09:58:02 pm »
I doubt it. Sounds like CPWH spouting bollocks!

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2018, 10:19:04 pm »
So why did the phone lock at all, if bought SIM free?

This is the link we were sent from TT  https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/unlock-my-phone-using-doctorsim  ~£52 to unlock.   ???

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2018, 10:27:40 pm »
Found this from the CPWH website:

We prefer to give our customers the freedom to change networks therefore most of our phones we sell aren’t locked to a network. The main exception to this rule are iPhones. Apple’s software means although you will buy it SIM free, it will become locked to the first network you use it with, e.g. as soon as you put your new SIM in your new iPhone it will then become locked to that network.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2018, 10:34:51 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:08:51 pm »
Thanks.  How would this even work?  How does the reseller enable the locking process via Apple software... ???

Historically, things haven’t always been so simple when purchasing a SIM-free iPhone in the UK. In the past, SIM-free iPhones from certain UK retailers (including the Carphone Warehouse) would lock themselves to the first mobile network used on the handset. The iPhones were also restricted to only working on UK mobile networks. Nowadays, this is no longer the case for newly-purchased iPhones but you may still be affected if your iPhone was purchased in the past.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:18:22 pm »
Thanks.  How would this even work?  How does the reseller enable the locking process via Apple software... ???

Surely that's just how the phones are supplied by Apple?  Quite clever, in an evil kind of way.  Means they can send phones to the networks who want them locked (which is the majority of their customers) without having to do anything batch-specific.  The phones automatically lock themselves to the network of the first SIM they see, and the customer's none the wiser that the phone was ever anything other than locked to the network they bought it from.

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:39:45 pm »
So what are the best options for unlocking the iphone, in order to move networks? 

Vodafone free SIM for one month, then get vodafone to unlock phone - may work apparently.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 03 March, 2018, 06:47:03 am »
Have you asked CPWH? The phone I needed to have unlocked Vodafone did for free?

« Reply #11 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:40:13 am »
Have you asked CPWH? The phone I needed to have unlocked Vodafone did for free?

May be worth a shot.  Did you have a vodafone account?  The bizarre situation with our phone is that it's locked to a network we have no account identity on.   Talk talk apparently cannot unlock it, and I'm guessing cpwh will not.  Very shady practice if you ask me.  Not impressed at all.

PaulF

« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:01:32 am »
Yes, I’m a Vodafone customer. Wanted to sell my old phone after an upgrade. I seem to remember reading somewhere that providers were obliged to unlock for you, but I don’t remember where and you fall into a grey area between Talk Talk and CPWH

« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:53:50 am »
Yes, I’m a Vodafone customer. Wanted to sell my old phone after an upgrade. I seem to remember reading somewhere that providers were obliged to unlock for you, but I don’t remember where and you fall into a grey area between Talk Talk and CPWH

Thanks Paul.  Definitely a 'grey' area.

TalkTalk: 'not us guv, we don't lock phones - but you can use a 3rdP service for ££'
Apple: 'don't offer an unlocking service - shouldda bought from us'
Vodafone: 'who are you using our network? Don't recognise your IMEI..., we didn't lock your phone'
CPWH: 'we haven't locked anything, it's Apple software, a feature of iphones'.        Should they have informed me though?

Phone was only bought in 2016.  No doubt there are a host of people out there with iphones, who don't know that they are locked now, and many who can't easily do anything about it.  Any good digestible info on the law re. this all?

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:26:09 am »
I would go here https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/ & see what happens. If they have no record of the phone, you'll get an email back within a day telling you they can't unlock.

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:34:19 am »
I would go here https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/ & see what happens. If they have no record of the phone, you'll get an email back within a day telling you they can't unlock.

Thanks.  As it stands they will definitely have no record of the iphone.

« Reply #16 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:38:57 am »

Thanks.  As it stands they will definitely have no record of the iphone.
But as TT are an mvno th is may work

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

« Reply #17 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:58:43 am »
I once phoned Vodafone (as a TT customer) to ask about improved network coverage around work, they said they could not help with anything as I didn't have an account.

« Reply #18 on: 03 March, 2018, 10:11:18 am »
You don't need an account to request the NUC though

PaulF

« Reply #19 on: 03 March, 2018, 11:27:13 am »
Some of it’s coming back to me :). I seem to recall that Vodafone had to get the code from Apple. So they, or Talk Talk or probably even CPWH can help, but may be unwilling?

Maybe wait until the snow has cleared? I had a text from Vodafone yesterday saying that customer service could be slow as some of their staff couldn’t get in.

« Reply #20 on: 03 March, 2018, 01:04:35 pm »
You don't need an account to request the NUC though

This from Vf website

Please answer the following questions:
What kind of customer are you?

I’ve never used my device as a Vodafone customer
Change

We can’t unlock a device that you haven’t already used with us.

The easiest way to get your device unlocked is to order a free Pay as you go SIM and use it for 30 days. We’ll then be able to unlock it.

Perhaps I may phone Vf to check, but I suspect they'll decline.   Popped into CPWH shop, useless really - 'we can't do anything, they should have told you about the self-locking when you bought it', & told me about Vf sim option; despite being told by CPWH on phone that 'there was a form to fill in'...

« Reply #21 on: 03 March, 2018, 01:19:45 pm »
Some of it’s coming back to me :). I seem to recall that Vodafone had to get the code from Apple. So they, or Talk Talk or probably even CPWH can help, but may be unwilling?

Maybe wait until the snow has cleared? I had a text from Vodafone yesterday saying that customer service could be slow as some of their staff couldn’t get in.

Thanks. OOI I went into an indep phone shop.  £30 4-6wks,  £55 5-7days to unlock.  I don't reaaly see why if no iphones do this lock-to-first any longer (as per regs), it's such a hoop jumping exercise to get a NUC now.

« Reply #22 on: 03 March, 2018, 01:28:44 pm »
Just do the PAYG or pay monthly option

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 05 March, 2018, 06:50:13 am »
Check up on consumer law. Go to your CAB.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #24 on: 10 April, 2018, 04:20:43 pm »
Update.  The phone spent +30 days on a Vodafone £5 PAYG SIM, then I filled out the Vodafone 'obtain a NUC' web form.  Next day had a email to say iphone was unlocked.  All now seems good.   :)    Bit of a palaver though...