Author Topic: Pedalling with the Bafang BB electric motor off?  (Read 1673 times)

Pedalling with the Bafang BB electric motor off?
« on: 06 May, 2018, 06:03:15 pm »
If you are pedalling with the motor off (dead battery perhaps) is the motor creating any resistance to your efforts?

Never knowingly under caffeinated

Re: Pedalling with the Bafang BB electric motor off?
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2018, 06:49:45 pm »
I'm not an owner, but I suspect there will be a clutch mechanism that stops the Bafang from offering resistance when not driving the bike.

www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum is probably the place to get a definitive answer.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2018, 10:22:20 pm »
Bound to be some loss of efficiency but nothing I could detect on the bench. Are you thinking of nicking Chris' battery...?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2018, 11:01:33 pm »
I'm not an owner, but I suspect there will be a clutch mechanism that stops the Bafang from offering resistance when not driving the bike.

Ah, could this be why the STEPS chainring freewheels?  I got caught out by that when applying some chain lube (which is surprisingly tricky when it freewheels at both ends)...

I don't know the Bafang.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: 07 May, 2018, 11:43:04 am »

Ah, could this be why the STEPS chainring freewheels?  I got caught out by that when applying some chain lube (which is surprisingly tricky when it freewheels at both ends)...

I don't know the Bafang.

The Bafang has two freewheels. Either the motor can move without the pedals, or the pedals without the motor, so there is little added resistance in pedalling motor-off. I suspect most BB systems  are the same. Allowing the motor to move without the pedals is what makes applying chain lube tricky, but it makes sense if you ever want to use throttle control.

The only exception  I know of was the original Stokemonkey, which drove through a tandem chainset. People used to riding fixed loved it; everyone else bashed their shins.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:03:56 pm »
Bound to be some loss of efficiency but nothing I could detect on the bench. Are you thinking of nicking Chris' battery...?

Not now that he is quick enough to catch me!  :)

« Reply #6 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:06:14 pm »
Thanks for the help all. Very useful, as usual

« Reply #7 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:42:06 pm »

www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum is probably the place to get a definitive answer.

Just joined and awaiting approval (unless cycleman gets there before me - then I'm sunk)  :)

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:54:40 am »
Yes there is some resistance (cogging, as it is called) from a Bafang.  It is noticeable, but it does not make the bike unrideable without power. 

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:21:36 am »
Can confirm that the Bosch crank-drive also freewheels at both ends of the chain.  Thoroughly confusing.

« Reply #10 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:10:52 pm »
Yes there is some resistance (cogging, as it is called) from a Bafang.  It is noticeable, but it does not make the bike unrideable without power.
Thank you