Author Topic: Blocked outside drain  (Read 3956 times)

Re: Blocked outside drain
« Reply #25 on: 02 June, 2018, 12:25:34 am »
We recently had a gulley removed and the remaining drain run capped which had previously served a rarely used double sink unit. I was a bit embarrassed by the amount of fat and grease that had accumulated in the gulley (20 years plus). Washing machine and dish washer and the orginal kitchen sink in the house were served by another drain gulley and run. So be aware of the impact of washing greasy pots etc on your drain run, particularly if the level of waterflow is low.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

fuzzy

« Reply #26 on: 11 June, 2018, 12:01:29 pm »
https://www.screwfix.com/p/keep-safe-pvc-16-gauntlets-red-large/13788

Those gloves aren't long enough for our drain (DAHIKT  :sick: ).

Having the ear of a friendly agricultural grade veterinary might be useful for armpit length gloves.....

rr

« Reply #27 on: 11 June, 2018, 01:04:59 pm »
Longest gloves you can get and a large bin liner works.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #28 on: 14 June, 2018, 10:41:40 pm »
You would think someone would have come up with a simple removable grease trap insert for gullies by now.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #29 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:42:28 am »
How about just stop putting grease and other shite down the drain where it doesn't belong ?

« Reply #30 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:58:01 am »
Where does shite belong?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 15 June, 2018, 02:07:01 pm »
You would think someone would have come up with a simple removable grease trap insert for gullies by now.

Quite possibly, but landlords wouldn't pay for it, and people who own their own houses will either not chuck grease down the drain, or GAMI.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:13:40 pm »
Drains get blocked even if you don't chuck grease down the sink.
Hard water furs up pipes and sky-borne detritus lands on rooftops & gets washed down by the rain.

Even with grilles over our gullies and a very low-fat lifestyle, our drains get blocked.

We don't fry food.
The cats eat any juice left from our roasts.

Our drains are very slow despite trying to do everything 'right'.

« Reply #33 on: 15 June, 2018, 04:35:52 pm »
Good post helly.

I have never put oil or fat down my plughole, or any others. These things happen. i should have investigated the slow sink draining earlier though.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:04:02 pm »
There must be enough traces of fat off dishes and pans from the washing up, as well as various fats off washing bodies that builds up over a long enough time....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #35 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:31:07 pm »
Just to add we do not fry stuff nor do we deliberately send fat down the tube.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:07:01 pm »
TBH, the main threat to our drains isn't fat.  It's hair.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:23:11 pm »
Hair threatens bathroom outlets but goes nowhere our kitchen sink.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:56:46 pm »
My hair gets into *other people's* pedal bearings.  The kitchen sink has no chance.

« Reply #39 on: 15 July, 2018, 06:01:48 pm »
We recently had a shit flood from our outside gully cover which THANKFULLY had not been properly fixed otherwise the flood would have been internal.

Cause? Our over the road neighbour had visits from young kids, and the debris that caused the blockage in the main sewer was from wet wipes and sanitary products. The only house above us in the village that has that age group is the over the road neighbour who have come from a big city and so presumably are used to flushing away rubbish with impunity.

Have to say Scottish water were very good and having been phoned at 5-30pm arrived at 8am and after some two hours came back to say their kit was not strong enough and they were calling in heavy duty kit which arrived about 4-30 and took an hour to clear it for us.

So it's not always the house involved that is causing the problem but the others upstream.

We have asked the community council to send out a general email gently reminding people that little sewers cannot be treated as waste disposal units.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.