Author Topic: Canon point-n-shoots  (Read 1903 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Canon point-n-shoots
« on: 05 May, 2010, 10:25:22 am »
Canon Powershot A480.  Anything bad to say about it?

I'm thinking that in addition to being a regular camera, it's also host to the CHDK hack, which will let me put it up on a kite and take auto-snaps every 30 seconds.  And get RAW.  And both of these are good.

Plus, refurbs are cheap on the 'bay. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Canon point-n-shoots
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2010, 10:46:37 am »
I have a 460 on the desk. Not bad. Anything over base iso is crap.

Can't remember how to trigger CHDK.. *googles* must print out and laminate an aide memoire.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2010, 12:22:54 pm »
It's not always-on? Sweeter.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2010, 06:33:03 pm »
Canon Powershot A480.  Anything bad to say about it?
A lot of older models of Powershots had a tendency to die with a "E18 error". Canon E18 Error (Lens problem) - What is it and how to repair it
I don't know if this has been fixed in the newer ones, but I wouldn't be keen on getting a refurb (without warranty?).

Though its a nice camera while its working...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »
With warranty - returns and demo items and warranted repairs.  They're going for circa £45 on the 'bay, which is cheap enough to put on a kite and fly over the sea.

That sort of lens sadness is what killed my Casio... I'd get something with an internal witchcraft zoom but they're real money, and if I don't have a camera I get sad.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2010, 04:46:14 pm »
One of the cool things is focus bracketting. You can set the camera to focus at a specific point then increment/decrement distance by 1mm per shot. Then combine all the images in eg combinezm to get a massive DOF image.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2010, 07:55:44 pm »
Combine interval and focus setting in a script to get a stop-motion focus pull.  I need plasticine!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 07 May, 2010, 09:33:45 pm »
...and it arrived today.  Damn fast.  It's a bit plasticky but takes cracking macro shots and is Generally Not Bad.  Plenty of manual control in the regular UI, too, which is a win.  CHDK adventures, methinks, will get their own thread.

LEE

« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2010, 11:55:27 am »
One of the cool things is focus bracketting. You can set the camera to focus at a specific point then increment/decrement distance by 1mm per shot. Then combine all the images in eg combinezm to get a massive DOF image.

..d

Hmmm, is there something to easily simulate a very short depth of field I wonder?

My small sensor Canon (like any similar camera I guess) has an irritatingly vast DoF.  It would be nice to get a blurred background without resorting to Photoshop