Author Topic: What's the last gig you went to see?  (Read 228359 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What's the last gig you went to see?
« Reply #925 on: 19 October, 2017, 11:13:33 pm »
"Passion's Peak"

with the St Petersburg Symphony Orchestra

Featuring

Mussorgsky Night on the Bare Mountain
Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.4
Prokofiev Classical Symphony
Tchaikovsky Fantasy Overture Romeo & Juliet

Conductor Alexander Dmitriev
Piano Peter Donohoe

Rather good.
It is simpler than it looks.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #926 on: 20 October, 2017, 10:40:18 am »
Been quite busy gigwise the last week.

Friday we went to see Ninebarrow with Lee Cuff on cello at Ferndown and last night Eastpointers at Uffington - better known to audaxers as the Arrive for the Blowingstone and Harlequin Hack audaxes.

Both great bands who are touring at the moment well worth seeing if you can. Both "folky" Ninebarrow in a more English/early Simon & Garfunkel mould with mandola and reed organ, Eastpointers more Celtic in feel with banjo, fiddle and guitar.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #927 on: 26 October, 2017, 11:11:15 pm »
Does a slideshow/talk by Ragnar Axelsson count?

« Reply #928 on: 26 October, 2017, 11:26:14 pm »
Godspeed at the Boiler Room, Newcastle. Massive sounds and quite a rocky gig, I thought. Intense, and I loved the droning build ups to the big crescendos.

No encores. Unless walking across the stage to turn off amps counts. I reckon they should have come back on to do a cover of Rockin' All Over the World, but i'd have been a little disappointed if they had.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #929 on: 27 October, 2017, 07:18:07 am »
Got them on Tuesday :thumbsup:  Silly Miss von Brandenburg is going to Abroad, where the FOREIGNS come from, for a week starting today so I will be going on my own chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #930 on: 01 November, 2017, 01:04:46 am »
Just got in from GY!BE.  Best I've seem 'em :thumbsup:

« Reply #931 on: 02 November, 2017, 01:43:29 pm »
Public Service Broadcasting at the Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith.  Fantastic gig.  Excellent musicianship and loads of guests.  Apart from the normal PSB guys there was a 6-piece brass ensemble and guest appearances from Lisa Jen Brown, Haiku Salut, some folks from a marching band and for the finale the Beaufort Male Voice Choir. Also, dancing spacemen and a blizzard!  In total, probably somewhere between 50 and 60 performers throughout the gig, and all for £25 + booking fee.  "Every Valley" has a wide range of music on it and this was well represented live.

Recommended. :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #932 on: 02 November, 2017, 08:18:34 pm »
Just got in from GY!BE.  Best I've seem 'em :thumbsup:

Although I'm sad I didn't get to see them cos I had this prior appointment, we saw Pat Metheny in Berlin on Monday. He was freakin awesome. He played for 2.5 hours.  He's quite good at that guitar playing as well...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #933 on: 03 November, 2017, 11:07:19 am »
Haven't been out since but the last gig I saw was Rhys Chatham lead a performance of 'Guitar Trio' at the Jazz Cafe at the end of September. Ms. P. was tired and not sure whether to go but found the whole thing a transformative experience. Drummer Charles Hayward needs a special mention.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #934 on: 04 November, 2017, 12:05:46 am »
John Mayall at Cadogan Hall off Sloane Square.  Still pretty lively for someone only six months younger than Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.).  Spherical Texan supporting type Buddy Whittington can play a bit too.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #935 on: 04 November, 2017, 11:31:45 pm »
The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain at The Same Halls. I haven't seen them for a bit and they're still wonderful.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #936 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:18:29 pm »
So, since the weekend of double Yorkston/Withered Hand/Kris Drever followed by KNO with the teens there's been a couple of splendid last minute random picks at the Crescent - Matthew E White gig and Wire - then last night I escaped the Ofsted bubble and took the teen to his third (and my  seventh, I think) Blue Rose Code gig.  Someone put videos on the internet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5OSARhIz9g&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgbxFY3ZIsA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-O1Qgg3po

The EldestCub and I both thought the first support (bloke with guitar) was surprisingly decent, although personally I reckon he can lose the shamerican and use his own perfectly acceptable York accent, and rated the second support - girl with a harmonium, a mandolin and quite the voice.  And Ross of BRC was very pleased with the Granny Annie-knitted baby matinee jacket (as modelled by a number of YACF babies over the years) we gave him for his impending arrival - the first such jacket ever to be accessorised with little round green buttons, because Hibs.  Apparently he was discussing his stripey team-colour socks - which he got as a birthday pressie in Manchester last year - in a radio interview a couple of days ago.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #937 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:22:42 pm »
Oh - and everyone* needs to go to the Crescent in York on the 17th (ETA - of December).  Surfing Magazines!  Take half of Slow Club, 2/3 of the Wave Pictures, stick 'em on a stage (and add plenty of boozahol) and you've got the recipe for a bloody good night out.  And Joe, everyone's favourite promoter, is putting them on for my nearly-birthday!

*Apart from whoever is prepared to babysit for the SmallestCub?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #938 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:33:08 pm »
Kate Rusby's not doing York this year!   :'(
Milk please, no sugar.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #939 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:36:38 pm »
I know :(  And the Sage is a school night.  I could theoretically do Leeds, with Cubs.... you free?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #940 on: 09 November, 2017, 10:44:51 pm »
No, I have plans for that night already  :(
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #941 on: 09 November, 2017, 11:21:32 pm »
She's coming to Carlisle this year though, on a Friday night too! :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #942 on: 21 November, 2017, 09:44:04 am »
Off to see Wolf Alice in Southampton tonight, just in case anyone else is going.
Will report back in in due course.

« Reply #943 on: 21 November, 2017, 05:08:20 pm »
Two at the weekend .
Saturday Mrs Dan and I went to see The Men They Couldnt Hang. They're still putting on a good show, with lots of old favourites that are sadly relevant. Support was good. Naomi Bedford (i think) then Mark Chadwick, reviving Levellers songs.

Sunday off to that London to see the Eden House, with Cyberia, Dance Society and Skeletal Family supporting. So, as goth as you like. Good night out and sounding great. Only marred by having to leave early because of the trains.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #944 on: 21 November, 2017, 06:23:58 pm »
Saw Blondie at the Brixton Academy on Friday.  Absolutely brilliant.  Chris Stein barely moved, unlike Debbie Harry who was dancing all over the place.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #945 on: 22 November, 2017, 11:42:42 am »
Off to see Wolf Alice in Southampton tonight, just in case anyone else is going.
Will report back in in due course.

Excellent!  It turns out I'm not too old to mosh, not that I had much say in the matter ;D  As soon as the 2nd track (Yuk Foo) started everyone was like a kangaroo riding a pogo stick on a trampoline.  With the exception of the odd slower track the evening continued to be equally epic.  Probably one of the most exciting gigs I've been to.

Honourable mention to the two support acts:

Superfood were funky but not really my cuppa, though played a solid and very tight act.  No complaints.  Would happily see them again.

Sunflower Bean were the better of the two.  New York rockers with hints of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, mixing grungy thrash with some dreamier stuff.  Singer Julia Cumming has a hell of a voice.  A well rehearsed and accomplished act well worth seeing in their own right.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #946 on: 23 November, 2017, 12:34:21 am »
Just in from Billy Bragg at the Grand in Clapham with Miss von Brandenburg.  Which was also the place where we first actually met in person after a mutual friend had been trying to arrange such a thing for a couple of years.  Mr Bloke was in fine form and just as acerbic as ever.  :thumbsup:

Edit: now with rubbish photo:

The Bard of Barking givin' it large on "World Turned Upside Down" by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

« Reply #947 on: 23 November, 2017, 12:45:43 am »
The Ezra Collective, Islington, Sunday night. One of the best live shows I’ve seen in a long time. Great players, great material, great atmosphere, great show :-)

« Reply #948 on: 23 November, 2017, 12:58:41 pm »
Deep Purple last night, on the Long Goodbye tour.  Great fun.  Steve Morse and Don Airey were brilliant. Gillans reigned in some of the longer high notes a bit, and was on form as well.

Support was Europe who did their ear-worm "final countdown" as their last number and its still an earworm. 

« Reply #949 on: 23 November, 2017, 03:01:56 pm »
Bernie Marsden of White Snake a week ago.

He's gone back to his blues roots now!  He played the first half solo with an acoustic guitar and was superb.  His voice is still very good and he mainly played very original stuff - Howlin' Wolf and Robert Johnson being two that spring to mind.  After the break he was in full electric mode plus bassist, drummer and keyboards player.  Gallagher and Clapton featured as well as his own stuff.  It was loud!  A lot of it was quite slow stuff and I would have preferred a few more lively numbers, but as a guitarist he was superb.  He is also very entertaining with anecdotes and chat between each one - an excellent stage presence!

Keep on rockin' Bernie!