Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1611440 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9750 on: 19 February, 2018, 01:00:54 pm »
I'm looking forward to a night that doesn't involve snot pong – that delightful nocturnal game where you lie on one side and feel the snot flow through you sinuses to block and leak from one nostril, until you are forced to roll over and repeat the process with the other side of your head. Or you can lie on your back and let it drip down your throat.

I think I've been playing that on and off since November.  Hopefully it'll stop soon and I'll get a break until the pollen kicks off in May.

« Reply #9751 on: 21 February, 2018, 11:03:26 am »
Local Gumtree seller: OK, you have a load of kids' clothes to sell. I get that. But why do you have to list dozens of items individually and swamp my local search with your tat?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #9752 on: 21 February, 2018, 11:08:29 am »
And while I have a head of steam: Morrisons' delivery drivers: I clearly state on my preferences that you should call me if you want to drop my stuff off earlier than the chosen time slot. Most of the time, that's fine, but I do say that if I don't answer your call, that you should stick to the allotted time. However, even though some of you read that, you still turn up early. One bloke pulled up just as I was arriving back home from a cold ride home. I was suitably attired and the driver seemed rather impatient to drop the stuff off, even though I had several layers of outer clothing to shed and proper shoes to put on. Harumph. Still, you are better than ASDA.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9753 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:53:23 pm »
EBay buyer. Thank you for your message. I would love to combine the postage on the two items you bought.

Two hydraulic brakes cost 2.90 each 2nd class. That's 5.80 combined. That's why I put 2.90 p&p on each item.

You got the pair for less than 25 quid posted

You're welcome.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9754 on: 25 February, 2018, 11:15:35 pm »
Week commencing 5th Feb - 5 days in Aberdeen
12th Feb - 4 days in Aberdeen
19th Feb, flew to Houston on Sunday, back Friday
Today, drove three hours to Birmingham for an Indian meal with my FIL and family, including ferrying ancient aunt to the restaurant, which I didn't really mind. Then a three hour drive to Farnham for a job starting at 9am tomorrow.  Tuesdays work with the same client is cancelled, so tomorrow I'll have to drive from Farnham to Ely, in rush hour.

I'm bloody knackered.  Thank DEITY I'm home for all of March, even though it usually brings 14-16 hour days in the last week or so.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #9755 on: 26 February, 2018, 08:17:32 am »
Week commencing 5th Feb - 5 days in Aberdeen
12th Feb - 4 days in Aberdeen
19th Feb, flew to Houston on Sunday, back Friday

That brings back memories - except my employer's favourite trick was to get me to fly to the Arabian Gulf on a Friday (so their day off), work Saturday to Friday and fly back the following UK w/e.  Wonderful.  Did that a few times one year until I got enough seniority to squash that scheduling. 

Fortunately I was able to pack it all in a couple of years ago, I really couldn't stand that pace anymore.

« Reply #9756 on: 26 February, 2018, 12:33:30 pm »
My team leader has just reviewed my annual leave. I have 15 days of annual leave remaining, which is supposed to be taken before the end of March. I'm currently working from home so I can be on hand to help MrsC if needed while she recovers from an operation.
Team leader has suggested that I take the time off as annual leave, seeing as I have a surplus.
Nice idea, but pray tell, who is going to do the work that is required for the end of next week? The magic gnomes and fairies?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9757 on: 26 February, 2018, 12:54:45 pm »
Most amused to read that the Nethelands is employing another 750 Border people, the French anticipate that at least 700 additional staff will be required and have budgeted accordingly, whilst the UK  needs to employ anything between 2,000 and 5,000 additional staff. The Netherlands is actively recruiting, France is about to, whilst the UK is doing nothing, but has indicated that the treasury will need to find at least £350m from reserves to be required at a future date. The current French forecast is for 15 mile traffic queues on their side 24 hours a day.

Project planning/Operational Research anyone? No wonder Boris wants a bridge.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Guy

• Retired
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9759 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:26:31 pm »
£350m is the Brexit equivalent of 42 :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9760 on: 26 February, 2018, 01:48:47 pm »
42 €? ;)

That's about what my UK pension is worth. Mind you, I only worked there about 3½ years, back in the Stone Age.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9761 on: 28 February, 2018, 11:30:36 am »
Modern technology and a management role destroys the concept of SNOdays. Just carry on as normal from home  >:(

I might have to get dressed soon though
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9762 on: 28 February, 2018, 01:41:22 pm »
I once had the pleasure of sending in a fax reading "Nix transit, gloria Tuesday" to a client who insisted I work at his place.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9763 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:18:10 pm »
The pipes are frozen & I’ve no running water. What’s in the tank is all that’s left to flush the loo.
And now I appear to have an upset stomach.... oh dear.  :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9764 on: 01 March, 2018, 10:30:54 pm »
My team leader has just reviewed my annual leave. I have 15 days of annual leave remaining, which is supposed to be taken before the end of March. I'm currently working from home so I can be on hand to help MrsC if needed while she recovers from an operation.
Team leader has suggested that I take the time off as annual leave, seeing as I have a surplus.
Nice idea, but pray tell, who is going to do the work that is required for the end of next week? The magic gnomes and fairies?
His problem. Look after yourself.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9765 on: 02 March, 2018, 10:49:55 am »
What he said.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #9766 on: 02 March, 2018, 12:25:32 pm »
All moot now, they'll have to pay the days to me (or tell me to take them off and somehow get the work done by elves and fairies).

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9767 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:17:29 pm »
You win.
VELOMANCER

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9768 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:06:36 pm »
Does anyone know if Virgin West Coast still do bike reservations? I'm trying to book travel to the start of my Dungeness to Durness ride but so far all the trains I've tried online (on two different days) have no bike spaces left???

DO they stop bikes for London Marathon weekend or something?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9769 on: 03 March, 2018, 07:55:11 pm »
Does anyone know if Virgin West Coast still do bike reservations?

It'd be news to me if they'd stopped.  They're usually pretty strict about them, on account of the Pendolinos.

No change on https://www.virgintrains.co.uk/experience/bikes  Maybe some sort of cockup?

« Reply #9770 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:11:03 pm »
Oh lovely jubbly we are leaving the EU just before a major international trade war starts. You couldn't make it up.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #9771 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:46:10 pm »
Oh lovely jubbly we are leaving the EU just before a major international trade war starts. You couldn't make it up.
Even better; El Orangino now wants to stop the Septics buying european cars because we don't buy enough of their oversized, unreliable, fuel hungry, antiquated tin-plate excuses for motor cars in return. Wow. He's an even worse businessman than he is a POTUS cos if the septics made cars that were worth buying then, and only then, would people buy them as any* fule kno.

*El Orangino appears to be the exception that proves the rule.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #9772 on: 03 March, 2018, 08:54:55 pm »
Even better; El Orangino now wants to stop the Septics buying european cars because we don't buy enough of their oversized, unreliable, fuel hungry, antiquated tin-plate excuses for motor cars in return. Wow. He's an even worse businessman than he is a POTUS cos if the septics made cars that were worth buying then, and only then, would people buy them as any* fule kno.
Aren't they mostly made in Mexico anyway?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9773 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:17:11 pm »

Can't wait for that fabulous, special, bigly trade deal with the US...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9774 on: 04 March, 2018, 01:26:11 am »

*El Orangino appears to be the exception that proves the rule.

The mass-market offerings from Ford and GM are essentially world cars these days, although no-one seems quite sure what's going to happen with Vauxhall/Opel now they've been sold to PSA.  The Chevy I had for a day last year was an Opel underneath.  And no-one in their right mind would buy anything from Chrysler.  Even Daimler-Benz couldn't fix them, and now they're owned by Fiat.  Sticking a Lancia badge on them won't fool anyone, especially not BRITONS who remember the Beta.

Just about everything else is a lorry, LHD-only or both.  About the only ones worth considering, for very different reasons, are the Ford Mustang and the Tesla S, and there's quite a lot of the latter around.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime