Author Topic: Cyclists' cycles  (Read 41500 times)

Re: Cyclists' cycles
« Reply #50 on: 24 June, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »
A bit late to this discussion, but I'm not the target audience. :)

I suspect my biggest issue cycling is going to be the blood sugar issues which I in theory have calendared down to day X of my cycle except when it all goes haywire (14 days late and counting grr).  I probably ought to work out the most transportable source of SUGAR for bikes.

I've found energy gels targeted at cyclists to work remarkably well.  I pretty much always have at least two Torq energy gels on me when cycling (even on my commute).  The taste of most of them isn't brilliant, so you need to experiment with findind the least unpleasant flavour for you.  Personally I find the Torq Rhubarb and Custard gels the least unpalatable, but your taste buds are likely to vary.

I've found these energy gels are the fastest way of recovering from hypoglycaemia, better than any other source of sugar, and they tend to be relatively small, long lasting, and cleanish to handle.  Inevitably they can leak a bit more sugar out, into your pocket, after use, so it's best not to put the empty packet anywhere that would suffer from stickyness.

Ideally you will of course avoid this by taking complex carbohydrates before you get hypo, the aforementioned cakes being a good source, but stuff like cake can be difficult to digest if you're a bit dehydrated, whereas most of the sources like energy gels are liquids (or very close), to much more easily swallowed.

mooncup?
Is that a space joke?
It might be interesting in space ;D

That article said "One thing that is clear, though — we don’t talk about this stuff enough. And when we do, we all seem to learn something.", but I've never seen previously anything talking about menstruation and space flight.  I have come across discussions about the use of the toilet in space, and how much money has been spent on it, and the varying mechanisms used by astronauts when undertaking spacewalks (predictably it's less pleasant for female astronauts), but I've never seen a mention of periods and space, but this must have been an issue.  Of course, regardless of the chinese just launching a female astronaut, historically they are relatively uncommon, being massively outnumbered by men, so I suspect that's at least part of the reason for limited discussions of the subject.

There have been female astronauts on the ISS who've been in space for a significant time, Claudie Haigneré for 193 days, Peggy Whitson for 184 and 191 days, Tracy Dyson for 176 days, Shannon Walker for 162 days, and Catherine Coleman for 159 days.  They obviously must have dealt with this in some fashion.  There is a brief discussion here, although it doesn't go into much detail or specific cases.  I found one comment attributed to "NASA" that most female astronauts use oral contraceptives to suppress menstruation, but I can't find any specifics on the success, or otherwise, of that.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #51 on: 25 June, 2012, 11:39:23 am »
Hmmm. Moderate cramping last night resulted in a tiny amount of what looked like very old clots. My innards are weird.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #52 on: 25 June, 2012, 11:40:45 am »
I think everyone's innards are weird, aren't they?

When I cast my mind back nine years ago when I had my first one fitted (I'm on my second now) I seem to remember a lot of odd stuff for about 3 months. Spotting, clots, nothing for ages, then more. It settled down after about six months (IIRC) to nothing at all, but I now get something for a day every three months or so.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #53 on: 25 June, 2012, 11:54:31 am »
MrsCharly is going back onto a Mirena coil, for medical reasons.

Since she had one removed, her periods have got heavier and heavier, to the point she's desperately anemic - tested ferritin levels of 4.  A healthy level would be over 15 and up to 100.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #54 on: 25 June, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »
Yeah, this is only my first month with the mirena so I was expecting weirdness. The weirdness of my own innards is endlessly fascinating.  ;D

« Reply #55 on: 26 June, 2012, 01:48:59 pm »
Following a number of recommendations, I'm giving the Mooncup a go. I've been trying it for a couple of months now, and I really *want* it to work. The lack of string to chafe means it'd be far better than tampons for cycling and yoga. However, I'm having a major problem with leakage. I'm not talking about a small don't-wear-your-best-white-silk-knickers issue: it's a full on chunky lumps requiring me to wear a towel as well - which rather defeats the point of a Mooncup.

This isn't too different from my experience with tampons - I have a retroverted uterus and a very long thin lopsided vagina, which means that many's the time that I've had blood-soaked underwear, a sodden tampon string, and removed a pristine white still-dry tampon. But if anyone has any advice about how to use the cup without leaking, I'd appreciate it. I'm following the instructions (I think), seating the cup quite low, giving it a little tug or twist to make sure a seal has formed, but as soon as I take more than five paces I feel an internal "sclhhooooop!", the cup heads determinedly up towards my diaphragm and the leaking starts again.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #56 on: 26 June, 2012, 01:53:51 pm »
I'm afraid I can't offer anything helpful since I bought one a while back and after a few attempts to get it in gave up on it. The website suggested I would need the larger of the 2 sizes but it seems to be much too big. I didn't think they would want it back after I had tried it  :facepalm:

LindaG

« Reply #57 on: 26 June, 2012, 02:51:58 pm »
Oh, dear. I get the schloop thing too but it has never leaked. Apart from when it's overflowed at night. First night I have to wear a towel as well cause it's quite heavy.

Have you run your finger round it to make sure it's pinged back into shape once it's inside?

Other than that I've nothing helpful to offer. Don't Mooncup have a help service or something? Telephone based ;-)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #58 on: 26 June, 2012, 03:40:13 pm »
I'm so glad blokes don't have to deal with this issue.Toothache may be preferable.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #59 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:08:39 pm »
Women have teeth too!

« Reply #60 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:21:33 pm »
Vagina dentata! ;D
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Re: Re: Cyclists' cycles
« Reply #61 on: 26 June, 2012, 04:40:35 pm »
Following a number of recommendations, I'm giving the Mooncup a go. I've been trying it for a couple of months now, and I really *want* it to work. The lack of string to chafe means it'd be far better than tampons for cycling and yoga. However, I'm having a major problem with leakage. I'm not talking about a small don't-wear-your-best-white-silk-knickers issue: it's a full on chunky lumps requiring me to wear a towel as well - which rather defeats the point of a Mooncup.

This isn't too different from my experience with tampons - I have a retroverted uterus and a very long thin lopsided vagina, which means that many's the time that I've had blood-soaked underwear, a sodden tampon string, and removed a pristine white still-dry tampon. But if anyone has any advice about how to use the cup without leaking, I'd appreciate it. I'm following the instructions (I think), seating the cup quite low, giving it a little tug or twist to make sure a seal has formed, but as soon as I take more than five paces I feel an internal "sclhhooooop!", the cup heads determinedly up towards my diaphragm and the leaking starts again.  ::-)
It really shouldn't matter what shape you are, internally, as it should snap into place. Low really does mean low, low enough you maybe have to trim the stalk otherwise it'll hang out. The schloop should be the sound of it settling into the right spot.
But, although I've had leakage from tampons, it never entirely bypassed the tampon. The only way I can envisage the mooncup failing so utterly is if you aren't getting any kind of seal.

« Reply #62 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:34:39 pm »
I find the opposite - unless it is as high as possible, I find it very uncomfortable.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Chris S

« Reply #63 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:47:41 pm »
I'm so glad blokes don't have to deal with this issue.Toothache may be preferable.

I was considering a thread on BPH for counterbalance - but I don't think even a DRE can compete with "full on chunky lumps"  :-X.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #64 on: 26 June, 2012, 05:56:36 pm »
I'm afraid I can't offer anything helpful since I bought one a while back and after a few attempts to get it in gave up on it. The website suggested I would need the larger of the 2 sizes but it seems to be much too big. I didn't think they would want it back after I had tried it  :facepalm:
I'm pretty sure they do take them back. They don't sell them again, obviously, but they use them for demos.

Kathy, I found wearing my mooncup too low very painful, even with the stem cut right off. So I use it much higher than recommended. I sometimes have to do a bit of furtling around to get it out, but generally it's fine. So try it a bit higher?

« Reply #65 on: 26 June, 2012, 07:01:25 pm »

I found that the trick was the "Punch-down" or "origami" fold (from Meegat's link upthread), and then knowing which way my vagina twists (more upright than the textbook variety, and with a distinct leftwards slant, due to my retroverted uterus). Though it took me several attempts to get the hang of it.

Oh, dear. I get the schloop thing too but it has never leaked. Apart from when it's overflowed at night. First night I have to wear a towel as well cause it's quite heavy.

Hmm. My periods are usually heavy - I bleed for two days and then practically nothing. I'm half-filling the cup every two hours, and that's not including all the stuff that misses it. I wonder if that is related? I couldn't imagine using one overnight, not with the normal volume I produce. Equally, I wonder if the lovely chunks of blood, flesh and mucus adhered to my vagina wall are stopping a clean seal being made. Or all the stuff below the seal is trickling out - though I think I'm producing more leakage than that.

Have you run your finger round it to make sure it's pinged back into shape once it's inside?

Yes, as best I can (I have fat clumsy fingers and long nails, so I can't quite get the finger all the way around without scratching).

Other than that I've nothing helpful to offer. Don't Mooncup have a help service or something? Telephone based ;-)

I may drop them an email, since they say they've had very little feedback from retroverted women. But I figured that asking here might get a more realistic and less biased "our product is wonderful" response.

It really shouldn't matter what shape you are, internally, as it should snap into place. Low really does mean low, low enough you maybe have to trim the stalk otherwise it'll hang out.

I trimmed the stalk almost entirely off, because when I was first positioning it, it was nearly hanging out and being painful. Then once the stem was trimmed, the cup developed its migratory tendencies - I wonder if I trimmed too much off and should have left a bit for balance (as per this comment).

The only way I can envisage the mooncup failing so utterly is if you aren't getting any kind of seal.

I'm getting amusing farty-noises as I remove it, which is the seal releasing. And yet I'm getting leakage.  ??? Maybe I have a t-junction inside there! :smug:

« Reply #66 on: 26 June, 2012, 07:35:38 pm »
Sounds really annoying Kathy! Maybe not a T junction but a whole extra womb!

This thread has convinced me I should order the other size to try just to be sure I am not missing out on something potentially really useful. Perhaps I should advertise the first one one eBay  ;D

« Reply #67 on: 26 June, 2012, 08:21:01 pm »
The size difference is only 3mm. It's not going to be any easier to insert. It's just more likely to slip. I'd look again at the hints-and-tips for getting it in.

« Reply #68 on: 27 June, 2012, 02:05:29 pm »
The size difference is only 3mm. It's not going to be any easier to insert. It's just more likely to slip. I'd look again at the hints-and-tips for getting it in.

Oh, thought there would be more difference than that! I guess I should try again with it, but I did try every different fold and position but it just wouldn't open and was hideously uncomfortable. Like Kathy's, my uterus is not in a normal position (well according to doctors anyway) so maybe that is the problem  ???

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #69 on: 19 August, 2012, 08:39:28 pm »
I think my mirena is making me sweat. I am sweating like Tom Jones. It is warm and muggy and my avoirdupois probably isn't helping but I don't even sweat like this in Greece.  :-\

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 19 August, 2012, 08:52:27 pm »
I am sweating only minimally, despite ambient temperatures of 30C. Seems I won't have hot flushes yet, despite my advancing years...

Chris S

« Reply #71 on: 20 August, 2012, 09:22:57 pm »
No sweat.

I'm sweating more here in the UK, at 25C - than I was when in France a couple of weeks ago when it was 35C.

The humidity makes a big difference, and the UK has a maritime climate.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #72 on: 21 August, 2012, 01:36:52 pm »
No sweat.

I'm sweating more here in the UK, at 25C - than I was when in France a couple of weeks ago when it was 35C.

The humidity makes a big difference, and the UK has a maritime climate.

In Paris at the weekend, it was 39C, pretty warm! I was running with sweat, enough to actually drip, whilst Miss Emily has a tiny sweat patch between her shoulder blades. IME some people just sweat more than others and I'm definitely in the 'more' category!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #73 on: 15 November, 2012, 04:24:43 pm »
Just had my Mirena changed - ouch!

I realised this is my fourth, not third one now.

Lying in bed because of the cramps - had them last time too.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #74 on: 17 November, 2012, 05:15:10 pm »
My periods have almost but not quite disappeared since the Mirena. I'm getting a couple of days of light spotting every month, nothing more. Good innit?  ;D