Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 378834 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #1625 on: 14 November, 2017, 05:46:34 pm »
He's apologised. (I'm calling this resolved - others will disagree, no doubt ... ):

“I just snapped and had a rush of blood to the head,” he said.  “I scribbled the note, rushed out and put it on the windscreen.

“There is no excuse for what I did. It was very bad. I knew it was wrong before a friend told me what had happened to the man in it.

“I have been to pray and ask for forgiveness. I hope the family accept my apology.

“I am someone who relies on the NHS, I suffer with a life-long disability, I know the truly amazing work the NHS does. If I could take it back, I would – regardless of if the man passed away or not.”

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1627 on: 15 November, 2017, 01:45:08 pm »
At least it wasn't minced lamb
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1628 on: 17 November, 2017, 10:19:23 am »
Stag party gets terrible hangover on two Becks, two pints of lager, a glass of wine and cider. Oh, and two pints of milk.
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1629 on: 17 November, 2017, 06:31:59 pm »
They got him on milk and...alcohol.

« Reply #1630 on: 17 November, 2017, 07:25:57 pm »
;D  :thumbsup:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1631 on: 30 November, 2017, 11:28:17 am »
Stanmore is not rreally provincial but I didn't put this in the 'fuds' thread...
http://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/15691554.Parent_parks_car_in_woman___s_driveway_during_busy_school_run/?ref=ebln

ian

« Reply #1632 on: 30 November, 2017, 12:04:57 pm »
'unavoidable disruption'?

I suspect it would be avoidable if they didn't feel the need to drive their kids to the school gate.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1633 on: 30 November, 2017, 12:05:07 pm »
Stanmore is not rreally provincial but I didn't put this in the 'fuds' thread...
http://www.harrowtimes.co.uk/news/15691554.Parent_parks_car_in_woman___s_driveway_during_busy_school_run/?ref=ebln
I believe that there is nothing the police can do about it either, even if they wanted to, because unless there is criminal damage it's a civil matter. I friend who lived near a football ground had a problem with this on a Saturday afternoon and often fantasised about getting a delivery of sand delivered after the perp had gone to the football. the problem is he knows where you live :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1634 on: 30 November, 2017, 12:06:19 pm »
That is SOP near schools, to the extent that some people near here have installed folding bollards on their drives.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1635 on: 30 November, 2017, 12:13:33 pm »
I live next door to a High School, and the main problem I have1 is with the six formers parking too close to my drive way making it difficult to get out. I politely train each new batch as they grow in numbers from September each year, but it does get wearing having to repeat the process each year.

1.now that my children have finished their schooling and my kitchen is no longer an extension to the 6th form common room!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1636 on: 30 November, 2017, 01:09:58 pm »
I live next door to a church that is also a nursery/scout club/music club/wedding venue. Our drive is invitingly wide.

It is not uncommon to step outside and find a car parked across it, or in it, with no driver in the car.   There is loads of parking on the adjacent road, but it would involve them walking, ooh, up to 60yards and crossing a road. Instead there is an insane clogging of a  narrow residential street, with cars doing 3 point turns in driveways and on pavements.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1637 on: 01 December, 2017, 10:45:50 pm »
<<Elf in safety alert over choking fears>>
From
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/beds_bucks_and_herts

rogerzilla

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1639 on: 07 December, 2017, 08:56:38 pm »
See also Darwin Awards.

Guy

• Retired
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #1641 on: 21 January, 2018, 03:47:46 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1642 on: 21 January, 2018, 04:05:50 pm »
A teenage bellringer ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-42758670

Sure, why not?  Plenty of teenagers are  a) musical  b) Christians  c) geeky  or some combination thereof that might lend itself to bell-ringing if they're given the opportunity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1643 on: 21 January, 2018, 04:46:40 pm »
Sure, but it takes at least a decade of practice to match them in beer drinking.  :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1644 on: 22 January, 2018, 08:20:10 am »
A teenage bellringer ?

I started my intermittent campanology hobby as a teenager, but that was rather too long ago for my liking

rogerzilla

« Reply #1645 on: 24 January, 2018, 10:29:27 am »
I know this is a serious story about nasty domestic abuse but the headline is certainly attention-grabbing:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/15893304.Man_so_lazy_he_got_partner_to_bring_him_a_bucket_to_bed_so_he_didn__39_t_have_to_get_up_to_go_to_the_toilet/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1646 on: 24 January, 2018, 10:40:39 am »
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1647 on: 24 January, 2018, 11:27:57 am »
A teenage bellringer ?

Sure, why not?  Plenty of teenagers are  a) musical  b) Christians  c) geeky  or some combination thereof that might lend itself to bell-ringing if they're given the opportunity.

My sister's gs is a bell ringer at the church across the road from us. He rings every Sunday and practises on a Wednesday. He has also been accepted into the Society of Ring Changers or whatever it's title is. I think he's still at primary school.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1648 on: 24 January, 2018, 11:29:52 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-41953644

Fucksake.

This, a year or more ago, when we called an ambulance for Phyllis:

AUDI DRIVER (for it was he): How long are these ambulances going to be here? They are in the way.

MRS. WOW (who is much too polite at times like these): For as long as it takes!

(and shuts door in Audi driver's face)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

« Reply #1649 on: 24 January, 2018, 04:37:32 pm »