Linked Events

• FNRtME Birmingham - Rollright Stones: 14 September, 2012 - 15 September, 2012

Author Topic: FNRtME (Friday Night Ride through Middle Earth) to Rollright Stones - 14-15 Sept  (Read 24958 times)

Just got home.  Need to peel off smelly clothes & pop into the shower.

What a wonderful route.   Lots of rolling ups & downs, a beautifully clear night sky and almost traffic free roads until the final run into Banbury.

:thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

jogler

• mojo operandi
- and if you are going to Mrs Shakespeare's cottage you'll all but pass my house as you exit towards the planned route south -

Rob

I suspected so....

Ah - of course, you have been here.

Rob

We waved from the roundabout but recieved no response ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
I got home half an hour ago & have since been eating anything & everything classified as food.
I rode home from Stafford station,the lumpy way which has dragged my average down to 15.3 kph.
!36km.

Sounds as if some of your collective energies have been siphoned off to keep warm.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Home.  I managed not to fall asleep on the train and wake up in Yorkshire.

The BCQ question remains unanswered though, as there was no sign of a Ministry Of Works plaque.

MoW! How old is that set of clues? The current one for the Rollright Stones is 'describe the shape of the Kingstone'. Hopefully Questers on the ride can remember it - stands alone on the opposite side of the road to the circle group.

I'll hope be able to make next year. January 2013 maybe little different to last night  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I took a photograph of the Kingstone, but I'd be very hard-pressed to say what shape it was.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

I took a photograph of the Kingstone, but I'd be very hard-pressed to say what shape it was.

Well, if you can find the words don't tell me because I'd be tempted to cheat  :) (You can use a photo to show you've been to a place.)
I'm having an internal debate over whether I can answer clues for places I visited by bike before I started the quest, or whether I should go back to them.  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

If there's interest, I'll run this again next year.

Please.
I'd have been there this year if it hadn't coincided with "Rally GB that's only a small part of GB really".
Watching the rally is a treadmill that I appear to be on............

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
There's some stuff about the King Stone on the Modern Antiquarian website - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/462/king_stone.html

It seems that the stone was vandalised in 2007 and the Ministry of Works sign was damaged. Several of the photgraphs show the sign in situ.

Describing the stone is a daft question though: it's just a weird shape.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
My GPS track from Birmingham Moor Street to Charlbury Station is here:-

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://peter.chesspod.com/routes/rollrights.gpx

I thought the climb up to Over Norton (exceeding 220 metres above sea level) was tough: it had a chevron, the git.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
According to one piece of folklore (attributed to Aubrey Burl, apparently)

Up until the eighteenth century, a 'barren wife' might visit the circle during the night "in the hope that by baring her breasts and touching the Kingstone with them" she would be made pregnant.

No-one did that when we were there. We should have got there earlier.

jogler

• mojo operandi
It all kicked off after you left :demon: ;D

My photo's from the ride are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewclark/sets/72157631547380718/show/

The first lot are me trying to be arty with the camera from platform 1 of Birmingham Moor St while waiting for Wowbagger to arrive.

jogler

• mojo operandi
the pics don't show :(

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
My GPS track from Birmingham Moor Street to Charlbury Station is here:-

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://peter.chesspod.com/routes/rollrights.gpx

I like the "Where The Hell Are We Supposed To Go" wibble at Dogpoo Lane.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

the pics don't show :(

Whoops!  Fixed  :-[

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
It crossed my mind that yesterday's route would also make a very good day ride, with the possible exception of the A-road bits nead Stratford-upon-Avon. I think that, once we were clear of Brum, the roads were clearer than any I've cycled on. I didn't time it, but I think the car coming towards us just as we went into Stratford was the first we'd seen for over an hour.

It was a lovely, laney, villagey route with occasional high points for good views. We had clear skies and Orion was very visible from about 2.30 a.m. onwards. Jupiter was also very bright.

I was thinking it would be a great ride on a cold clear frosty night.   Definitely one to be repeated.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It crossed my mind that yesterday's route would also make a very good day ride, with the possible exception of the A-road bits nead Stratford-upon-Avon.

I rode it during the day the other week, and that is indeed true.  The Rea Valley route is of course busy with the usual cyclists, children, dog-emptiers and so on during the day; you don't quite get the lanes to yourself (though it's mostly farm traffic rather than speeding nutters) and yes, the A-roads in Stratford are full of cars (usually to the point where nothing's moving particularly quickly), as are the final couple of miles into Banbury.  Worst bit is the right turn off the A3400 at Preston on Stour, requiring either extreme assertiveness, luck or pedestrian road-crossing tactics.

There are some lovely views.  During the daytime, I'd probably include Tanworth (very pretty little village, when you can see it), consider an alternative destination in Stratford (if nothing else, the Morrisons by the railway station would be open, and involve less main roads), and perhaps make use of a pub somewhere between Shipston and Long Compton.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Waitrose has a new cheeese on sale - King Stone Rollrights. I was able to tell the lady who offered me a taste (fnarr fnarr) that I knew where it was and why (she didn't and had been discussing with her colleagues what a Rollright was. Chocolate phalluses were not part of our conversation.