Author Topic: Expensive mistake - dropped 24-70  (Read 1663 times)

Afasoas

Expensive mistake - dropped 24-70
« on: 12 May, 2013, 03:01:11 am »
I seem prone to occasionally catching the lens release button on my cameras. Every single time I've done it, I've managed to catch the lens. No harm done.

Not today. I dropped the lens about 8 feet.
Now the zoom ring is crunchy/stiff/noisy. *sigh*

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Expensive mistake - dropped 24-70
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2013, 07:14:23 am »
Eek!

Yesterday, trying to help move equipment round a crowded and tight hospital room, I knocked my Olympus 35SP from the top of my rucksack, where it had been perched, to the hard floor.  Heart in mouth, and when I picked it up, I found that I couldn't remove the lens cap, and had to unscrew the filter to take a photo.  Fortunately, it seems to have survived OK, and is working fine.

Second worrying moment with that camera yesterday.  But that's another story...
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2013, 08:38:54 am »
I seem prone to occasionally catching the lens release button on my cameras. Every single time I've done it, I've managed to catch the lens. No harm done.

Not today. I dropped the lens about 8 feet.
Now the zoom ring is crunchy/stiff/noisy. *sigh*

I had similar symptoms with my cheapo kit 18-55 after I clobbered it on the handlebars (I was shooting from the back of the tandem). Switching it to manual focus and gently focussing in and out until it went "clunk" seemed to cure it. Your lens, of course, may be different.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2013, 06:09:48 pm »
f/2.8?  Ouch.   :-\   Insured?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Afasoas

« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2013, 11:36:08 pm »
Yes it is insured but I suspect after the excess and a few years of hiked premiums I don't think it's work claiming for the cost of the repair.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:36:50 am »
Ouch - I feel your pain.  The 24-70 is built like a tank but I'm impressed it was still even usable after an eight foot drop.  Crunchy/stiff/noisy is better than dented/smashed/unresponsive.

I've always found that Nikon UK repairs and service are surprisingly reasonable.  I hope that this proves to be the case...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
That's scarily poor design insofar as you can not only catch the release button, apply enough pressure to activate it, but also that the lens can be so easily jettisoned.   I'd be unhappy if my dslr did this.

My Sony requires a positive push and hold button, then twist the lens through about 1/8th of a turn.   

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:59:48 am »
I'm also a bit confused as to how you manage to release the lens. I've never done that by accident.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Afasoas

« Reply #8 on: 13 May, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »
It's actually easily done in the heat of the moment.

Camera held above head with both arms extended. Right hand on grip. Left hand on lens. Instead of holding the lens from underneath as usual, in that position I tend to hold the lens from above. Weight of camera presses against the back of the thumb. Zoom out. Cue detached lens.

I'm feeling a prized idiot tbh. Called Nikon Professional Services today to try and book the lens in for repair. Waited a couple of minutes for someone to answer, but gave up. Too much to do today.

« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2013, 09:21:47 pm »
ouch. 

Might not be as bad as you think, I was doing some artsy rubbish on a waterfall in cumbria and my tripod slipped with a 1D and 17-40 attached.  it bent the front ring so much it couldnt be zoomed but was repaired fairly cheaply (like 50 quid, I think).   

Afasoas

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2013, 10:38:19 pm »
I hope not!!

It's quite funny really. I'd got to thinking I don't really need my zoom lenses because I don't use them all that much, but heck I'm panicking a bit about it being slightly defunct. Taking part in what probably is my first ever formal piece of photography training tomorrow - a workshop tomorrow with "master photographer" Damian McGillicuddy- and hoping I'm not gonna miss this lens too much!