Author Topic: England - football  (Read 12169 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: England - football
« Reply #25 on: 03 June, 2013, 11:10:47 am »
Second half when England decided to press a bit more and try attacking they seemed to do a lot better. I think they sat off far too much troughout the game though and let Brazil play.

The other issue the back four needs to deal with was why they got opened up so frequently from long cross-field balls.

Still, flying to the other side of the world and drawing with Brazil at home is not exactly a bad result :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #26 on: 06 June, 2013, 07:28:43 am »
Not about the full England team, but the U21's. Isn't Stuart Pearce a breath of fresh air when interviewed after a match? No hiding behind platitudes, just says it as he saw it. "We were awful" "the best team won" etc. Well done.

« Reply #27 on: 06 June, 2013, 08:14:28 am »
Yes, I admire Stuart Pearce.  He was the author of one of the greatest penalty misses of all time and is brave enough to live his life in public.

LEE

« Reply #28 on: 08 June, 2013, 07:12:36 pm »
Well Stuart needs to put on a brave face again because the U21's have just been knocked out of the tournament after 2 abject displays.

It seems our lack of talent and imagination with a football runs deep.  Perhaps because of the lack of opportunities for U21 players to get a game in the Premiership.

German style coaching upheaval me thinks.  Time to change things at grass-roots so we have some talent coming through in 15 years.
That's what the Germans did (and their definition of a crisis was getting beaten in finals).

« Reply #29 on: 09 June, 2013, 08:47:26 pm »
Yes, Paul, I agree.  I wasn't admiring Stuart Pearce for his abilities as a coach but for his courage in staying in the public eye!

LEE

« Reply #30 on: 11 June, 2013, 09:48:33 pm »
Well Stuart needs to put on a brave face again because the U21's have just been knocked out of the tournament after 2 abject displays.

Make that 3.

Played 3 lost 3

Italy, Norway and Israel.

No goals from open play.

Hopefully the media and some crazed fans will have had their expectations set for the next 10 years and accept that getting to a semi-final (never mind winning a trophy) should be seen as a major triumph.  Even beating a top 10 team should be seen as a triumph in any major finals.

Then everyone can go to the finals and have a party instead of a war.  Use the Irish as a perfect example.  Overjoyed if their team win a couple of games but, even if they don't , no harm done, just carry on with the party.

Beautiful.

LEE

« Reply #31 on: 19 June, 2013, 06:03:45 pm »
Meanwhile the Spanish U21 team win the Euro Championship. Somewhat predictable really.

A sign of things to come?  A new wave of Spanish talent set to win it all?

I'm just surprised that the Germans didn't make the finals.

LEE

« Reply #32 on: 30 June, 2013, 11:53:02 am »
Now our Under-20 team has been knocked out of a tournament without winning a game.

England have now gone 16 matches without a victory at the Under-20 World Cup - their last win was in 1997

From top to bottom it seems we can't beat anyone of any significance when it matters, in the finals.  We get overjoyed when we win a friendly (against a country you couldn't find on World Map and with the population of Preston) but the truth is we just lack that quality to get into the "first division".

Someone older than me can probably tell me when we last beat a top 10 side in the finals of a competition but I'm beginning to think Alan Shearer may have been playing.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #33 on: 30 June, 2013, 10:23:04 pm »
Not quite. England Beat Argentina in the 2002 World cup in Japan. Forwards were Michael Owen and Emile Heskey

To show how long ago that was, from the starting line up only Ashley Cole and Rio Ferdinand are still playing for England.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #34 on: 01 July, 2013, 12:15:32 am »
Brazil looking good against Spain, in Confed Cup on now, BBC...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

LEE

« Reply #35 on: 01 July, 2013, 09:00:15 am »
Not quite. England Beat Argentina in the 2002 World cup in Japan. Forwards were Michael Owen and Emile Heskey

To show how long ago that was, from the starting line up only Ashley Cole and Rio Ferdinand are still playing for England.

You're right.  That's my forgotten World Cup..I was on my LEJoG ride during it.  I had a late start on my final day, so I could watch England - Brazil.  Not only a late start but in a bad mood as well.

« Reply #36 on: 01 July, 2013, 10:30:50 am »

From top to bottom it seems we can't beat anyone of any significance when it matters, in the finals. We get overjoyed when we win a friendly (against a country you couldn't find on World Map and with the population of Preston) but the truth is we just lack that quality to get into the "first division".

I think Preston's got a bigger population than Tahiti.  I'm not sure we'd beat Tahiti.

LEE

« Reply #37 on: 30 July, 2013, 01:44:15 pm »
In case anyone didn't notice, it seems our Women's national side went out of the Euros with a whimper as well.

At least it shows a level of consistency across all ages and sexes of our national game.  We're basically "average" at football.

The German Women's team won the Euros for the 6th consecutive time...SIXTH CONSECUTIVE TIME !!!

« Reply #38 on: 10 September, 2013, 11:29:10 pm »
Yawn.  England top of the group though...

LEE

« Reply #39 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:10:45 am »
Yawn.  England top of the group though...

Some English people travelled to Kiev to watch that.

I was annoyed that I'd travelled to my living room to watch it.

Roy Hodgson called it "a quality performance".  I lost all respect for him in that moment. 

Greg Dyke (brought us Roland Rat but is now somehow Chairman of the FA) said "I don't think we'll win the World Cup in 2014 but we should target winning it in 2022".

Brilliant insight and comments, I hope he's getting paid many millions of pounds a year for that.

Next thing he'll be telling us that the Pope is a Catholic and we'll all be living on Mars by next Summer.

The England football team are, and have been for some years now, bloody awful.

Anyone who ever criticised David Beckham's ability should be hanging their head in shame when they watch his replacements.  I'd still pick him in favour of some of the talentless numpties playing last night.

« Reply #40 on: 11 September, 2013, 09:54:48 am »
I think that it is quite clear that the coaching staff, the 'manager', etc cannot be the problem as England are as average as ever regardless of who is in charge.   It seems clear to me that the problem is the lack of English talent.

England have a far higher number of apparently quality players plying their trade in the Premier League.   The problem to me appears to me to be that when players go on international duty they simply don't gel as a team.   Why?   Is it the English psyche whereby a Man City player still sees an Man Utd player or a Tottenham player still sees an Arsenal player primarily an an opponent perhaps?   

I have an idea, a long term idea.   We buy Kettering Town and fill it with English players.   As they gel and work their way up the leagues we buy better players but always keeping the squad entirely English.   As Kettering become successful the best English talent will want to play for them.   Eventually Kettering Town will be champions of England, Europe and the World...    O:-)   :thumbsup:       

« Reply #41 on: 11 September, 2013, 10:50:22 am »
"Anyone who ever criticised David Beckham's ability should be hanging their head in shame when they watch his replacements.  I'd still pick him in favour of some of the talentless numpties playing last night." 

Nobody who criticised David Beckham's ability need hang their head at all.  Many of the current team or nowhere near as good as him.  I, too, would still pick him, probably in goal.  England did have injury problems, thuogh that never seems to bother other teams half as much as it bothers England.  On that subject, it seems to me now that the money of the Premier League has teams in such thrall that managers withdraw players from England duty, saying they are injured, in order to save them for the league games. 

I'm just glad I was out buying a bike!  I hope that won't prove to be a mistake, too!

LEE

« Reply #42 on: 11 September, 2013, 01:19:15 pm »
The problem to me appears to me to be that when players go on international duty they simply don't gel as a team.   Why?   Is it the English psyche whereby a Man City player still sees an Man Utd player or a Tottenham player still sees an Arsenal player primarily an an opponent perhaps?       

No, it's because, at club level, every England player is surrounded by properly talented players from oversees.  At England level they are surrounded by people like Ashley Cole, Kyle Walker and Paul Lambert*

*I say surrounded by, what I mean is, stood motionless 50 yards away and therefore requiring a 50 yard "hail-mary" pass which they will subsequently fail to control..

It's the simple maths of it.  You add 11 average players together and divide by 11 and you get average.

« Reply #43 on: 11 September, 2013, 11:10:35 pm »
"England's ball retention and passing sums up why we'll never get anywhere in these competitions. How is it possible that so called professional footballers in an England shirt suddenly find the concept of the ball at their feet about as comfortable as a glowing orb of 9 million degree lava?"  [...]  There's no point England trying to be Spain. But obviously there is a middle ground that involves, y'know, being able to pass and control a football.
  DTLive

Agree with this bit in DT; there were some really bad attempts at passing, and general losing possession, but at least they held Ukraine at bay somehow.

« Reply #44 on: 12 September, 2013, 12:39:24 pm »
Indeed, now to beat Montenegro. And if Poland beat Ukraine then our job is pretty much done (depending on the actual scores in those games Poland would then need to beat us by 7 or so goals in the final game to usurp us).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #45 on: 12 September, 2013, 04:58:49 pm »
That's a very interesting use of the word "usurp".

Usurp

Verb
Take (a position of power or importance) illegally or by force.
Take the place of (someone in a position of power) illegally; supplant.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

« Reply #46 on: 12 September, 2013, 05:43:26 pm »
"England's ball retention and passing sums up why we'll never get anywhere in these competitions. How is it possible that so called professional footballers in an England shirt suddenly find the concept of the ball at their feet about as comfortable as a glowing orb of 9 million degree lava?"  [...]  There's no point England trying to be Spain. But obviously there is a middle ground that involves, y'know, being able to pass and control a football.
  DTLive

Agree with this bit in DT; there were some really bad attempts at passing, and general losing possession, but at least they held Ukraine at bay somehow.

Because Ukraine are crap.

Gary Lineker to his credit said:

"England and Ukraine played some good one-touch football. England had one touch, then Ukraine had one touch, then Engand had one touch...."

FIFA have just released the new rankings.  England slip to #17, their lowest ever position and, in my opinion, about correct.

That means we'd be doing well to get into the quarter finals of the World Cup and all the fans should be very happy if we do.

Of course, if we beat Montenegro, a country with a population less than an average city, all the fans will think we are World beaters again.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #47 on: 12 September, 2013, 07:59:47 pm »
That's a very interesting use of the word "usurp".

Usurp

Verb
Take (a position of power or importance) illegally or by force.
Take the place of (someone in a position of power) illegally; supplant.
I think Master Greenbank is well aware of this :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #48 on: 14 September, 2013, 08:38:39 am »
Assuming that football teams get the manager they deserve, Roy Hodgson is definitely the man for the job  ::-)

« Reply #49 on: 14 September, 2013, 10:17:58 am »
Re: FIFA rankings and England:    England slipped to 27th in 1996.   

The rankings are not really a good reflection as they were as high as 3rd only 13 months ago and they haven't got any worse since then, have they ...  ?   :)