Author Topic: Spa Steel Audax  (Read 22902 times)

Re: Spa Steel Audax
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2016, 10:19:17 pm »
Thought  it was time to update on the Steel Audax. The frame is still with me and wearing new GP wheels I've built for her and the 50mm rake Surply Pacer forks (59 or 60mm trail). You may spot the Spa Aire saddle completing the retro steely look!

The wheels are Hope hubs 3x on Kinlin 22T rims (Laser and D-Light NDS rear with alloy nipples - 1580g) with 32mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper set up tubeless (max 60psi!). The tyres actually measure up around 34mm on these rims.

Complete with the Carradice Pendle and Bagman the bike weighs 24.5lbs or just over 11.1kgs and, more importantly, rides really nicely. Very pleased with the balance of speed, comfort and responsive steering and handling.

A little slideslow can be found here - https://northernwheelandbike.wordpress.com/2016/12/20/new-general-purpose-training-wheels/#jp-carousel-36

Mike

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2016, 02:27:49 pm »
That’s really quite nice, sojournermike. Very different from my setup. I guess 34 mm tyres are about as wide as the frame can cope with. What brake callipers are you using, by the way?

The weight’s not bad considering the Brooks saddle, large tyres, and steel fork.

You have me wondering how my Spa Audax would ride with wide tyres. I’m currently on 23 mm Veloflex Masters, so pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum.

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2016, 10:08:07 pm »
hi Samuel

The brake calipers are the less expensive Shimano 'long reach' - BR450 or 451 I think. The original mounded blocks were worn out, so I replaced them with a set of koolstop dual compound in the koolstop holders. Much better.

The weight is lower than I expected, and it doesn't feel heavy riding around. The higher rake/lower trail help that I think. You're right that I wouldn't fit any bigger tyres and there's no room for guards in this configuration, although the real pinch point is the width between the chain stays.

The saddlebag and bagman will be returned to Sue in the next few days, as she needs them for her new commute and doesn't want a rack on her bike. I'll probably swap for a bigger bag that can double up as a camping bag.

Mike

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:43 pm »
I see the Spa Audax steel frame has gone up to £365. Blame Brexit? Though the titanium frame remains at £850 with carbon fork or £750 without.

The steel frame was £305 when I last checked a few months ago. Still worth £365 in my opinion. Plus, at long last you can have it in black or red!

The new colour and price suggest the frame might be around for another wee while.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 10:31:48 pm »
Spoke to someone the other day who visited Spa to test, then buy, a steel Audax, and ended up buying two, one of which was a one-off prototype in stainless steel. His story was that his wife noticed the SS version and said - 'Why not get both!?'  He loves both of them.  But not as much, one presumes, as he loves his wife  :)

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2017, 11:50:31 pm »
haydenw OTP, I believe ...

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2017, 09:01:20 pm »

Yes, looking at his blog, you are right.  Only met briefly at breakfast in a B&B.

Hi, Hayden!  Hope your weekend went well.

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2017, 11:22:32 pm »
I did a bit of maintenance on my Spa Audax tonight and fitted a Blackburn Wayside Tool Roll. My toolkit, although light at around 200 g, was heavy enough to damage my lightweight summer jerseys. The goal is zero rattling, since that’s what’s so wonderful about packing everything in jersey pockets. Test ride tomorrow.

(Click for large photo.)

For the last few months I’ve been running this new stem, a little longer and lower than the old one (100 mm instead of 90 mm and flipped down). At some point I may try handlebars with more drop and reach. I still sense a conflict between slow and fast comfort, and bars with more reach may help with that. A longer stem would compromise my low-speed comfort (hands on tops).

This marvellous machine continues to delight me on every ride. It had its first taste of the Alps a couple of weeks ago and seemed to like it. On Sunday it navigated the Chevreuse Valley in pouring rain. But it still hasn’t made it to the seaside. Maybe this summer at last…

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2017, 01:54:55 pm »

Yes, looking at his blog, you are right.  Only met briefly at breakfast in a B&B.

Hi, Hayden!  Hope your weekend went well.

Indeed it was i! Yes the weekend went great - cold on the first day but warm (in March!) with not a single bit of wind meant conditions were perfect for Yorkshire torture!