Author Topic: Bob McHardy  (Read 14341 times)

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
Bob McHardy
« on: 10 December, 2013, 06:04:54 pm »
I am greatly saddened to advise the passing of Bob McHardy in the Royal Sussex County Hospital earlier today following an accident on the last stage of his journey home after helping at the finish of the Rye RandonnĂ©e last Sunday.  No other person seems to have been involved in the accident and an inquest will be held in due course. In the meantime, of course, our sympathies will be with his brother, Dick, the remainder of his family and friends.

Regards,

RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Re: Bob McHardy
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2013, 06:17:16 pm »
This is very sad news indeed, Bob was one of the gentlemen cyclists that always rode in his civies.

He was an acomplished engineer, and road my National 400 in 2005 on a bike he designed and built himself - a space-frame design that folded-down for easy carrying on public transport.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2013, 06:42:06 pm »
Sorry to hear this. Bob was a good bloke. I enjoyed his somewhat unusual approach to long distance cycling apparel and his unique bicycles.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Sabine

• In France
« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2013, 06:50:45 pm »
So sad to hear this.I have helped with Bob, many a time on Daves rides and he was a lovely person to be with.He will be very much missed by all.

« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2013, 07:18:47 pm »
This is a dreadful shock, Dave was only discussing his bike with us at the finish on Sunday while Bob was stamping cards. A lovely unassuming chap, almost a fixture on El Supremo rides. I shall miss him.

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #5 on: 10 December, 2013, 08:08:15 pm »
As Julia says, almost a fixture on Dave's rides.  I think he was there at my first.
And I was chatting to him only the other day on the Spordax.
So sad to think he'll never pour me another cup of much-needed tea.

Sincere sympathies to his family.

« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »
I can't help but have enormous respect for someone like Bob who starts from first principles. In his case, with cycling, designing and building his own bike, ignoring lycra fashion, and generally doing it his way.

« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2013, 08:39:26 pm »
I can't help but have enormous respect for someone like Bob who starts from first principles. In his case, with cycling, designing and building his own bike, ignoring lycra fashion, and generally doing it his way.

Exactly.

« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2013, 09:28:56 pm »
Terrible to hear this sad news.  Sincere sympathy to his family & close friends.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 10 December, 2013, 09:49:16 pm »
that is truly awful news;

Bob was a pioneer on my event before I took it over and did it a couple of times under my charge; always remember his superbly crafted pre-Brompton bikes which were always on folded display at El S event controls. He always looked like he was on his way back from a fishing trip; even on 600s and PBP, but got round every time

RIP Bob

« Reply #10 on: 11 December, 2013, 08:18:48 am »
This is very sad news.

A man of few words and unlimited ingenuity, Bob was a master of one of the pillars of Audax cycling: self-sufficiency.
His red foldable bicycle, with the complex reticular structure he had built and assembled piece by piece, was a sure attractive feature and a conversation trigger at the end of many El Supremo's events, where Bob used to help in recent years.

He was a gentleman, with a kindness that truly strong men are not afraid to show.

He was an accomplished long distance cyclist, with a successful PBP in 2003; however, his free spirit led him to prefer cycle touring in the last few years. Last time I met him, on Spring 2013, he was planning to cycle tour the USA for a few months.

Very sorry I am not in UK at the moment, to pay my last hommage and respect to Bob.
May he rest in peace.
AUDACES FORTUNA IUVAT

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #11 on: 11 December, 2013, 11:07:33 am »
this is really terrible news. bob was a true gentleman. i had hoped to hear his words of wisdom about cycle touring in the united states. now it will never be. bob had a very useful habit of being a lot faster on a bicycle than he appeared to be.
 the El Supremo family is quite close-knit and this is very hard to take
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #12 on: 11 December, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »
This is what Sussex Police have said about the accident just after it happened:

Cyclist injured in Hassocks collision
09 December 2013
Police are appealing for witnesses to a collision involving a pedal cyclist between Hassocks and Burgess Hill.
It is believed that the pedal cyclist, a 66 year old local man, was cycling towards Burgess Hill on the cycle path just north of the Friars Oak Public House, the A273 London Road, at around 5.17pm on Sunday (December 8 ) when he has collided with a fence at the entrance to a property. He suffered serious head and chest injuries, and was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital where he remains in a critical condition.
The road was closed for around two hours to allow investigation work to take place.
Sergeant Rob Baldwin said: "We would like to thank motorists for their patience while the road was closed. Anybody with information is asked to contact police on 101 or email collision.appeal@sussex.pnn.police.uk quoting Operation Pensford."

hillbilly

« Reply #13 on: 11 December, 2013, 04:51:03 pm »
A pity to hear of Bob's passing.  He was a nice chap. 

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #14 on: 11 December, 2013, 04:54:46 pm »
i am hoping to go to the funeral

mikewigley

« Reply #15 on: 11 December, 2013, 05:01:45 pm »
Reading about Bob has made me think that I've been taking the easy way out on Audax.  I simply buy my bikes, so this build-your-own approach takes the self-sufficiency theme to another level.  I'll not be able to get to Bob's funeral but I trust there will be plenty of you there with your club jerseys and your factory-built machines.

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #16 on: 11 December, 2013, 05:27:30 pm »
I'm hoping to go as well.  Once I am advised of the arrangements, I shall post them on here and the existing AUK forum.

A short time ago I received this obit from the RSF Chairman which seems to deserve a wider audience:

"In early Bob McHardy died suddenly on his way home from marshalling an audax in Sussex . The cause of death is at this point is  not clear as he was on a cycle path on his own  very near home. Bob was one of our most travelled members have done cycling trips over years in places like Mongolia , Alaska , USA and Eastern  Europe . I spoke to him about  a week before his death and he told me of plans to cycle back to the UK from the southern tip of Sicily next year.  He was also well known in the RSF for his distinctive  self built  small wheeled bike which as they were a mass of  triangulated struts and painted red were nicked named forth road bridge bikes . In recent years he made many trips to Scotland to ride with the vagabonds and features in many of their recent ride reports and articles. By trade an agricultural welder  and for many years resident in Burgess Hill , Sussex  he was a quietly spoken man highly respected  with the RSF ,  Audax UK and the CTC."

Although he had restricted himself to BPs in recent years, he last completed a SR series in 2008 and rode Boston-Montreal-Boston in 2004, though his modesty meant that you would never have guessed it.  A man of idiosynchratic bicycles and riding attire, like Frank Sinatra, he did it his way.  RIP.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #17 on: 11 December, 2013, 06:49:13 pm »
I never really saw Bob talk to anyone very much but it doesn't surprise me that he had done a lot of touring. He was a pretty tough rider. He sat on my wheel for a bit on an El Supremo event and it wasn't until I got to a biggish hill that I left him behind.
I think he rode the 2003 PBP, I vaguely remember chatting with him with Drew Buck a day or so before the start at the campsite and looking at his home made bike.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 11 December, 2013, 06:55:47 pm »
He sat on my wheel for a bit on an El Supremo event
on an El Supremo event i once looked over my shoulder to see him in the distance and i thought i would soon leave him behind. when we reached a hill i slowed down and he didn't. for an old bloke on a homemade bike he was bloody fast. lovely fella

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #19 on: 12 December, 2013, 10:29:36 am »
And here is an update from the police with a tribute from bob's family

Thursday December 12 | 10:23
Cyclist dies in hospital after crash in Hassocks
12 December 2013
A cyclist who crashed into a fence near Hassocks has died in hospital.
Robert McHardy, 66, was cycling towards Burgess Hill on a cycle path off the A273 London Road in Hassocks when he struck the fence at about 5.15pm on Sunday.
Mr McHardy, of West Street, Burgess Hill, suffered serious head and chest injuries and was taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital but died on Tuesday (10 December).
PC Shirley Ross said: "We know that Mr McHardy got on his bike on the A273 just south of the Keymer Road crossroads and began cycling north towards his home when he struck the fence.
"I would like to speak to anyone who saw the incident or who saw Mr McHardy on his bike on the A273 on Sunday. Please contact us with any information you might have.
"No matter how insignificant you might think your information is, it could be important to the investigation."
Mr McHardy's family have also asked for the following tribute to be released.
They said: "Robert was a person who devoted a lot of his time to helping others and working directly on conservation projects across Sussex.
"He was a lifelong cyclist. He would organise many cycle events and had cycled on many continents across the globe and would love to share his experiences.
"He was a reserved and quiet person and would never ask for praise but would always help others where needed.
"Although semi retired for the last few years, he was a welder by trade and often made his own bicycles. He would take on agricultural projects to help out farmers and the like.
"Robert leaves behind a younger brother, nieces and nephews."
Anyone with information should call 101 quoting Operation Pensford or email collision.appeal@sussex.pnn.police.uk

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #20 on: 12 December, 2013, 11:57:10 am »
This is terrible news indeed. He will be greatly missed....I remember thanking him during and after the Spordax 200 for all those hot drinks he prepared.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #21 on: 12 December, 2013, 12:04:23 pm »
indeed. there is no good in this. At. All.
the only consolation is that he lived the sort of life he wanted to lead, and was well respected, and will be missed. and at least he was doing what he wanted to do right up until the end, which was fairly quick.
it's just a shame he couldn't continue to do that sort of life for many more years.

« Reply #22 on: 13 December, 2013, 09:26:02 am »
What a shock ! I first met Bob many years ago cycling with Mid Sussex Cyclists, more recently with our involvement with the restoration of the Wey and Arun Canal where Bob soon became a proficient hedge layer, also joined me on Mid Sussex Ramblers walks and often to be seen at local steam and vintage events always arriving by bike. I am sure that anyone who got Bob talking (not easy for such a quiet and private man) were as inspired as I was by his tales of cycling adventure round the world. Condolences to the family, thanks for some great memories Bob. RIP

« Reply #23 on: 14 December, 2013, 07:44:52 pm »
I am in total shock to hear this sad news. Another AUK legend lost.
I was only chatting to Bob on Sunday about his Lotus Elan S2 which he had for
over 30 years and kept it going using his superb engineering skills, he had
just recently sold if for more than he paid of it.  Bobs hand build frames and
equipment were unique and worked very well. I doff my cap to you Sir, R.I.P Bob.
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #24 on: 14 December, 2013, 11:49:44 pm »
I am in total shock to hear this sad news. Another AUK legend lost.
I was only chatting to Bob on Sunday about his Lotus Elan S2 which he had for
over 30 years and kept it going using his superb engineering skills, he had
just recently sold if for more than he paid of it.  Bobs hand build frames and
equipment were unique and worked very well. I doff my cap to you Sir, R.I.P Bob.

Edit, apparently the Lotus (36 years with Bob) was to be sold this weekend, so obviously this has not happened.

Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021