Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 136424 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Tangy chickpea curry
« Reply #100 on: 19 May, 2012, 05:39:57 pm »
Tangy chickpea curry

Serves 4-5

12g fresh root ginger, peeled weight
4 fat garlic cloves
2 largish tomatoes, quartered
5-6 tbsp vegetable oil
4 cloves
4 green cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
2 large shards cinnamon
2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 green chillies, whole but pierced
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp ground coriander
1/4-1/2 tsp chilli powder
salt, to taste
2 x 400g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 1/4 tsp garam masala
1/2-2/3 tsp tamarind paste or dried pomegranate powder, or to taste
handful of finely chopped fresh coriander

Blend together the ginger, garlic and tomatoes with a little water until smooth. Set aside.

Roast half the cumin seeds in a small dry pan for about 40 seconds, stirring constantly, until they have darkened quite a bit. Grind to a fine powder. Set aside.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the cloves, cardamom pods,  cinnamon and half the cumin seeds and cook until they release their aroma and start to crackle. Add the green chillies and onion and cook until the onion is well browned. Add the tomato paste with the turmeric, ground coriander, chilli powder and salt, and cook over a moderate to high heat until the oil comes out at the sides (around 15 minutes), stirring often.

Add the roasted cumin powder to the pot.

Add the chickpeas and 500ml water. Bring to a boil, then simmer over a medium heat for 7 or 8 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and tamarind paste. Mash a few of the chickpeas on the side of the pan to thicken the sauce a little. Taste for seasoning and tartness, adjusting if necessary, then sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Okra & aubergine spicy masala
« Reply #101 on: 19 May, 2012, 05:46:49 pm »
Okra and aubergine spicy masala

Serves 4

3 tbsp vegetable oil
pinch of fenugreek seeds
pinch of fennel seeds  :sick:
2-3 cardamom pods
2cm cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 onions, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
150g okra, cut into pieces
150g aubergine, cut into pieces
salt
2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, garlic and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown.

Add the turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander and tomato puree and stir well, then cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and 500ml water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is thick.

Add the okra and aubergine to the sauce with salt to taste, and stir thoroughly. Cover and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes or until the okra and aubergine become tender. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Thakkali payaru curry - black-eyed beans with spinach and tomato
« Reply #102 on: 19 May, 2012, 05:53:10 pm »
Thakkali payaru curry - black-eyed beans with spinach and tomato

Serves 4

3 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
10 curry leaves
100g chopped onion
2 green chillies, slit lengthways
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
200g tomatoes, cut into small pieces
50 g spinach, chopped
100g cooked or canned black-eyed beans
salt
300g plain yogurt

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the garlic, curry leaves and onion. Cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.

Add the green chillies, chilli powder, coriander and turmeric. Mix well, then add the tomato pieces. Give a nice stir, then add the spinach. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.

Add the black-eyed beans with salt to taste. Cook for a further 1 minute or until everything is hot. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add the yogurt, stirring well. Serve warm.

LindaG

Re: Recipes
« Reply #103 on: 19 May, 2012, 06:07:31 pm »
Mmmmm.  Salivating madly.  Thanks Kirst  :thumbsup:

Too late for tonight, unfortunately.  Tonight's curry contains singed cow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #104 on: 20 October, 2013, 09:25:56 pm »
Saw this done in a YT video and had a go this weekend:

24-hour steak

Brilliant!
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #105 on: 18 November, 2013, 08:33:09 pm »
Black bean & carrot soup (from New Covent Garden Soup Company’s Soup and Beyond)

Serves 6-8

250g/9oz dried black beans, soaked overnight
    110g/4oz butter
    2 onions, coarsely chopped
    5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    6 bay leaves
    500g/1lb2oz carrots
    25ml/1fl oz jalapeno tabasco sauce, or 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno chillies, or one green chilli, chopped
    150ml/1/4 pint sherry or fortified wine (I don’t like sherry, but it’s fine in this, and I use the rest of the bottle instead of wine in risotto)
    75g/3oz tomato purée
    salt and pepper
    1.2 litres/2 pints water

Boil the soaked black beans in water rapidly for 15 minutes then simmer them while you make the rest of the soup. Melt the butter and sauté the onions, garlic and bay leaves in a large saucepan until the onions are soft. Add the carrots and jalapeno sauce/chillies, cover the pan and let sweat for 5 minutes. Pour in the sherry and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the drained beans, tomato purée and seasoning, cover with the quantity of water, bring to the boil and simmer for one hour. Remove from the heat, remove the bay leaves, and purée in a liquidiser. Reheat, serve garnished with grated cheddar.

simonp

« Reply #106 on: 03 January, 2015, 03:10:00 am »
Made this last night. Would make again. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/749719/plum-and-almond-pudding

Didn't have any brandy so used sherry. Didn't have any lemons so used orange zest.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #107 on: 23 May, 2015, 05:09:29 pm »
Maggie Mac's Brandyyyyyy Splodge

An Ancient Pudding, handed down by a tortuous route from the McKails of Scotlandshire, where the Porridge comes from.  Contains enough energy to power the BRITISH Standard Teethgrinder to the outer reaches of the Asteroid Belt.  You will need:
  • 1/2 lb digestive biscuits.  You may substitute Hobnobs, if you like Hobnobs, but if you don't like Hobnobs this will make it taste like shit. Also they may make the Splodge too sweet, which is unhealthy.
  • 1/2 lb "chocolate".  The original recipe called for "cooking chocolate" but it dates back at least as far as the 1960s when poncey chocolate was only available in Fortnum & Masons or Belgium (which, of course, does not exist).  The one currently in the fridge at Fort Larrington contains that 85% psychoactive ingredient Green & Blacks Organic stuff but then I didn't pay for the chocolate.
  • 1/2 lb unsalted butter
  • A brace of eggs from a specimen of gallus gallus.  Free-range at the very least.
  • 3 oz caster sugar, or 3 oz ordinary sugar ground exceeding small in a foody mix-o-matic apparatus
  • 2 oz glacé cherries
  • 2 oz walnut pieces
  • Brandyyyyyy!  Or rum, if you don't like brandyyyyyy.  You can use any old firewater in an emergency.  The one currently in the fridge at Fort Larrington contains Remy Martin VSOP but then I didn't pay for the brandyyyyyy either.  It says "small glass", so no more than half a pint.
Method:
  • Crush biscuits coarsely.  The canonical method is:
    • the kitchen-maid
    • in the kitchen
    • with the rolling pin
    or grind them exceeding small in a food crunch-o-matic.
  • Melt chocolate and butter over very low heat or nuke them in a microwave.
  • Beat eggs and sugar together until creamy; add chocolate/butter mix and continue to beat until they've had enough, or you have.  Make sure you have agreed a stop word beforehand.
  • Fold in 3/4 of cherries & walnuts, biscuits and brandyyyyyy.
  • Stick it in the fridge for a bit, then after a few minutes give the mixture another stirring as the butter and brandyyyyyy may declare UDI and sit on the top like alcoholic pond scum.
  • Bung mixture in a buttered or non-stick mould, cake tin or cut-down oil drum; decorate with remaining cherries & walnuts and stick it back in the fridge.
Take it out of the fridge 1/2 an hour before serving as otherwise you will need a cold chisel or plasma cutter to slice it up.  Serve with cream, ice cream or brandyyyyyy.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #108 on: 13 December, 2015, 01:52:08 am »
^^^

or just munch the chockie then glug the Remy 'til the jitters go away. Simples
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #109 on: 20 February, 2016, 06:53:24 pm »
I don't usually follow the recipes thread 'cos I never follow recipes but how many eggs?

Would hot knives or frikkin LAZERS be better for cutting up this congelated mass?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #110 on: 21 February, 2016, 03:37:23 am »
No eggs, no owls.  As long as you take it out of the fridge in good time a decent cake slice will cut it otherwise a samurai sword, frikkin' laser or heated knife would work.  Chainsaws, angle grinders etc. tend to be messy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #111 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:24:14 pm »
Instruction #3 states 'beat eggs'. Now you tell me there are no eggs...

I am beginning to understand why I don't follow recipes!

I are a pedant...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #112 on: 22 February, 2016, 05:27:30 pm »
You are this: right.  And I can't even blame drinkohol.  I shall correct it.  Two eggs for the recipe and two owls for a decent party.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #113 on: 22 February, 2016, 06:21:31 pm »
Sounds like an interesting splodge! I wonder if anyone here has made this confection!

Cooking chocolate has the advantage of being VAT free in the UK anyway.

I wonder if we'll stop having VAT and revert to Purchase Tax if when we leave the EU...

Loaf recipe was Re: Cycling food
« Reply #114 on: 15 April, 2016, 06:53:03 pm »
hi Cudzoziemiec
                         sure no probs  very easy to make  :thumbsup:

BRANFLAKE LOAF
More delicious than shop bought malt loaf and so easy to fling together
a child can do it. This must be one of the only cake mixtures that looks and tastes
pretty revolting in the bowl, but honestly, the end result is well worth the complete lack of effort...
Best sliced thinly and eaten with butter or jam.

1 mug of Kellogg's All-Bran
1 mug of either currants, mixed dried fruit or sultanas
1 mug of milk
1 mug of self-raising flour
A generous half-mug of caster or soft brown sugar

Method
1. Put everything except the flour in a large bowl and leave the mixture to stand for about an hour.
2. Grease and long-strip-line a standard size loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to approximately Gas Mark 3 (160 C)
3. Sift the flour into the soggy mixture, stir it in well and pour the whole lot into the loaf tin, spreading it evenly up to the sides.
4. Bake in a cool oven for about an hour and a half, until a skewer or sharp knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #115 on: 23 April, 2016, 05:59:47 pm »
Moong Dal with Cauliflower

250g small split yellow moong dal (do not put them into soak the night before, you don't need to
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
1 medium cauliflower, divided into small florets
2 tablespoons ghee
4 small green cardamom pods
2 small cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon fresh root ginger, grated
2 tablespoons tomato puree
1 tablespoon fresh chopped coriander
salt

Dry fry or toast the dal in a deep frying pan without oil until a nutty aroma rises and set aside for a couple of minutes. Pour 700ml warm water ino a heavy saucepan, add the dal and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down, add the turmeric, cumin and chilli, put the lid on the pan and simmer for 20 minutes. Make sure it doesn't dry out and add boiling water if necessary. Once teh dal is soft, add the cauliflower and cook for four more minutes. Set aside.

Put the ghee into a deep frying pan. When hot, crush the cardamom pods, split the cinnamon sticks, and toss them in. Add the crushed ginger with tomato puree and blend with a whisk. As the aroma rises, tip them into the pan of cooked dal and stir well. Turn the heat off. Sprinkle the coriander leaves on top and put the lid back on the pan. Serve with rice or parathas.

No-waste tuna pasta bake
« Reply #116 on: 15 December, 2017, 05:20:09 pm »
This is an obligatory dish for Friday evenings in our house.  Howls of complaint if anything different is suggested.

Quantities for 4
2 tins of tuna chunks in oil
3 medium onions
1 stick celery (optional)
3 large carrots
200g Strong Cheddar
2 rounded tbs flour (usually 1 of each wholemeal & white)
500 ml skimmed milk
350 g dried penne (pref wholemeal)
3 handfuls frozen peas
3 large ripe tomatoes

Chop the onions (finely if you are not going to blitz them later) and celery if using, and put in large saucepan.
Open the tins of tuna and pour off the oil into the pan
Fry the onions gently until golden brown this takes a while so meanwhile:
Peel & slice the carrots, and just cover with water in medium saucepan, bring to the boil
meanwhile Grate the cheese and set aside
Off the heat, add the flour to the onions and stir thoroughly
As soon as carrots have boiled, take off the heat and drain half the water into the pan with the onions, stir, add rest of water, and stir again. Set asde the carrots.
Add the milk, a little at a time, stirring all the while.
(Optional) If any one doesnt like chunks of cooked onion use hand blender to blitz the mixture until smooth.
Over gentle heat stir in about 3/4 of the grated cheese, a little at a time.
Add the reserved tuna and the sliced carrots, stir thoroughly
Add the dry pasta & stir.
Add more milk if necessary so pasta is thoroughly coated.
Allow to cool for a few minutes so sauce thickens a little.
Thinly slice the tomatos
Add frozen peas and stir in to mixture
Layer half the mixture into rectangular glass dish (30cm x 20cm or larger) or a baking tray.
Cover with sliced tomato
Add remaining mixture and top with remaining grated cheese.

Bake in medium oven for at least 45 minutes, longer if you like burnt well-browned cheese layer. 

Tops & tails of the carrots go in the dog (!), so the only things to be disposed of at the end are: onion skin & carrot peelings (food waste bin) and tuna tins (recycling bin)

« Reply #117 on: 17 December, 2017, 06:42:00 pm »
Since it's approaching Christmas, a simple festive Germanic ginger biscuit:

Lebkuchen

1. Add the following dry ingredients into a bowl, and mix.
  • 125g plain flour
  • 42.5g ground almond
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • pinch ground cloves
  • pinch grated nutmeg
  • pinch black pepper
2. Gently heat honey and butter in a pan until the butter melts.
  • 100ml/140g clear honey
  • 42.5g butter
3. Pour that hot mixture into the dry mixture with the finely grated zest of one lemon.

4. Mix well and let cool (I throw it in the freezer for 15 minutes).

5. Pre-heat oven to 180°C / Fan 160°C / Gas Mark 4.

6. Separate into about 15 or 16 balls, and flatten them into 3cm diameter blobs (the mixture is quite sticky, so I lightly dust with icing sugar, to make flattening them easier).

7. Place onto baking parchment on a tray and cook for 15 minutes.

8. Cool on a wire rack.

9. Ice with one egg white and 100g of icing sugar (aka Royal Icing).  A fair amount of this will drip off, so let them drip and dry on the same wire rack you cooled them with.

10. Enjoy !

(Obviously the mixture can be scaled, if you want to make more, but you'll need a lot of space to cool and ice them !)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #118 on: 02 August, 2020, 08:26:49 am »
Retro risotto with beetroot and goat's cheese
This is probably the most outrageously coloured plate of food you will ever cook.
Serves four
2 large beetroots
50g butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
Sprig of thyme, leaves only
350g arborio rice
150ml white wine
1 litre hot vegetable stock, ideally homemade but from a cube is OK
150g goat's cheese, crumbled
75g parmesan, finely grated

Peel and dice the beetroot as small as you can. Melt the butter in a shallow-sided pan and add the shallot, leek, garlic and diced beetroot. Cook slowly and allow the vegetables to go translucent. Once this has happened, add the thyme and rice. Turn the rice over in the now purple ingredients and ensure that every grain is coated in the butter.
Turn up the heat slightly and add the white wine. Keep the rice moving at all times. When the liquid has all been absorbed, add a ladleful of hot stock. Continue to add a ladleful at a time, stirring to keep the rice constantly on the move. This takes about 15 minutes.
When the rice is just underdone, add the goat's cheese and the parmesan. Correct the seasoning with salt, if necessary, and serve

The above is the recipe straight from my source. Unfortunately, I found this before I started being organised about recording sources, so I have no idea where it came from. The file it's in is dated October 2008 and this is the first time I've got round to making it. I won't be the last.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #119 on: 09 August, 2020, 09:51:37 am »
Lemon risotto

Prep 15 min
Cook 30 min
Serves 4
60g butter
2 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
350g risotto rice (arborio or canaroli)
100ml dry white wine or 50ml dry vermouth
1-1.25 litres light chicken or vegetable stock, simmering
1 large unwaxed lemon (zest and juice)
75g mascarpone or robiola
60g parmesan, grated
In a large, heavy-based frying pan or enamel-based cast iron casserole, warm half the butter and all the oil over a medium-low flame then gently fry/ stew the onion and celery along with a pinch of salt until soft and translucent - this will take about seven minutes. Add the rice and stir until each grain glistens – you want them to become partly translucent and to smell slightly toasty.
In another pan on the back of the stove, keep the stock at a simmer.
Raise the flame, add the wine or vermouth and let it bubble and evaporate for a minute. Start to add the stock, ladle by ladle, stirring continuously while everything bubbles at a lively pace, allowing each ladleful to be absorbed by the rice before adding the next. Add the lemon zest after 10 minutes. Continue until the rice is tender but with a slight nutty bite, and the risotto is soft and rippling. This can take anything from 17 - 25 minutes depending on the rice you are using: keep tasting.
Pull the pan from the heat and, using a wooden spoon, firmly beat the remaining butter, mascarpone, parmesan, two tablespoons of lemon juice and a generous grind of black pepper into the rice. Cover the pan and leave to rest for one minute. Beat again and serve.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/feb/04/rachel-roddy-lemon-risotto-recipe
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #120 on: 29 January, 2021, 04:56:21 pm »
Ecclefechan Tart     aka Border tart, Butter tart
Line a 6in flan ring with shortcrust pastry (make from about 3oz flour etc)
Blind bake 10-15 mins.
Cream 50g softened butter and 50g light soft brown sugar
Beat in 1 egg
Add
50ml double cream
100g raisins, sultanas
50g dried cranberries, chopped
50gm chopped pecans or ground almonds
Rind of half orange or lemon
Pinch of ground cinnamon and/or cloves/nutmeg
Mix well, pile into case.
AGA baking oven for about 30mins so about 180C for 30mins.
Should be just set, as it will firm up a bit.

You can vary the fruit, nuts and spices according to what you like/have in the cupboard.
Best served warm

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #121 on: 16 December, 2022, 01:55:17 pm »
A visit to my cousin and her husband's a couple of weeks ago inspired me to make this:

https://www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/mains/chicken-and-chorizo-stew

I'm not certain that that is the recipe they used, but it was very tasty. However!

The "20 minutes' preparation time" turns into an hour and a half.

Serves 12? I reckon there would have been plenty to serve our family of 6 when the kids were fairly small. Certainly not when they were large.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.