Author Topic: Battery LED rear light for a Brompton  (Read 7319 times)

Battery LED rear light for a Brompton
« on: 10 September, 2008, 05:40:27 pm »
The subject pretty much says it all. I'm looking for a bright and flashing battery driven rear/red LED for my new Brompton.
The bracket bolts are 50mm apart and I don't think will fit the standard rear rack bracket fitting which seems to be 80 mm apart.
I see that the latest C+ is recommending Spanninga Metaal BV as a source for their eclipse XB which gets a good review but I'd rather shop locally if poss.

border-rider

Re: Battery LED rear light for a Brompton
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:43:28 pm »
Whatever you get, I'd recommend fitting it at the top of the seat post, below the saddle, where it doesn't affect the folding. 

I think a light at standard Brommie rack/mudguard height is invisible in traffic.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:45:06 pm »
The standard Brompton light is pretty bright.  It is low down, but a seatpost light will interfere with folding unless you have the extended post, which doesn't go right into the frame.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2008, 06:37:53 pm »
The standard Brompton light is pretty bright.  It is low down, but a seatpost light will interfere with folding unless you have the extended post, which doesn't go right into the frame.
This is so. I started a thread on Brompton yahoo about this just a few minutes ago.
I have been using the Cateye AU100 and sometimes the long Cateye that has a light chasing pattern as an option.
It really needs fitting under the saddle but off the seatpost and I guess that I am going to end up making a bracket from off the seat clamp.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2008, 06:40:15 pm »

I have the standard post, and it doesn't interfere.  What am I doing wrong ?

;)

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2008, 09:16:40 pm »
Your light is very small or you're not pushing the post right in?

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2008, 09:42:11 pm »

I have the standard post, and it doesn't interfere.  What am I doing wrong ?

;)

I suppose it depends on the width of the clip. Mine is about 12mm wide and stops the bung in the bottom of the seatpost touching the ground and stopping the bike rolling on its Eaziwheels. It is only really a problem on trains when it is stowed between seats. If the train lurches, it rolls out.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:23:40 pm »
That may be why.  Mine has a rack so it rolls on that.  the bung doesn't hit the ground.  In fact, there isn't a bung

And yes, the clip is narrow. 

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2008, 11:00:01 pm »
Whatever you get, I'd recommend fitting it at the top of the seat post, below the saddle, where it doesn't affect the folding. 

I think a light at standard Brommie rack/mudguard height is invisible in traffic.

Also prevents crud going all over your light and possibly obscurring the lense and making it effectively less bright. Plus helps to keep it dry(er) This will keep you more visible and prolong the life of your light.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2008, 11:14:40 pm »
That's true

Ny Brommie used to eat dynamos when I did serious rural commuting on it.  I got through 2 Nordlichts and a Basta in one winter :o

I reckon it was because they were so close to the ground that they got showered in salty crud

The rear triangle rusted through on that bike too.

« Reply #10 on: 11 September, 2008, 04:37:44 pm »
I think the advice about mounting the light high up is quite good and with a bit of fettling and using a non-standard bracket from one of those useless legally-required reflectors off an old child's bike, I have fitted it to the top of the seat-post where it narrows to fit the saddle bracket. It doesn't affect the fold and is quite "high and dry.
see keithgr/Brompton - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Sorry, I haven't quite mastered how you embed an image into the forum.

« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2008, 04:49:51 pm »
That's a very good bodge!    I like it!!

On that linked page is a box that says "IMG code"  just click in the box (which automatically copies the text) and paste it in here.

« Reply #12 on: 11 September, 2008, 04:51:12 pm »
keithgr/Brompton - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I can't do that on mine without getting an extended post. If I could my water proof jackets would obscure the light with their tails.
I have fitted an SQR block though to the standard post and there is just enough post left for the post to catch the locking disk (or whatever it's called) so it still folds up. A light resides on the Super C saddle bag.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2017, 05:52:01 pm »
Well, my Brompton rear light decided to switch itself on and stay on while parked.  I always thought the build quality was non-existent and it seems from reading other reviews that the switches nearly always fail after a few years (this one has barely ever got wet).  I pronounce it a big steaming pile of poo.  Probably costs Brompton a quid to buy from whichever far eastern sweatshop they use.

As I have the extended seatpost, I can just use a Lezyne Femto Drive LED and the Brompton reflector.  I haven't had a Femto Drive fail on me yet.

« Reply #14 on: 14 January, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »
My Brompton rear light lasted several years, but eventually the switch went. I got a cheapo Wilko light which has worked perfectly for a few years now.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #15 on: 14 January, 2017, 10:34:51 pm »
If you have a high seat post mounted rear lamp you need to remember to ensure it doesn't get blocked by your coat tail.