Author Topic: Kodak PixPro SP360 Action Cam  (Read 2052 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Kodak PixPro SP360 Action Cam
« on: 01 November, 2014, 04:10:24 am »

Photo: DPReview

Kodak licensee JK Imaging has recently introduced the PixPro SP360 action camera to its lineup of active photo equipment. The SP360 offers an extreme 360 degree viewing range thanks to its ultra-wide F2.8 lens, and is able to capture full HD video footage along with 10MP stills.

The SP360 uses a 16 megapixel CMOS sensor (though offers 1:1 10MP stills as its highest resolution output) for recording MP4 1080p video at 30fps or 720p video at 60fps. The unit can also capture 10MP JPEGs at up to 10fps in burst shooting mode. The camera itself is designed to survive drops of 2 meters, along with temperatures as low as -10°C/14°F, and is also dustproof and water resistant....

The SP360 weighs only 3.63 ounces (103g) and is sold with 3 different accessory bundles so users can take the action cam on the go depending on their activity or adventures. The Explorer bundle for entry-level (MSRP US$349), the Aqua bundle for watersports (MSRP US$349) and the Extreme Accessories bundle (MSRP US$399) which includes: bar mount for multiple mounting options such as handle-bars; flat adhesive mount for skate or paddle board; curved adhesive mount head strap; helmet mounts; surfboard adhesive mount; suction cup mount; extended arms; quick clip; tethers; clear standard mount housing and clear waterproof housing.
Source: DPReview

More details on the camera at Kodak.

It looks pretty interesting for action shooting such as on a bike.

Andrew

Re: Kodak PixPro SP360 Action Cam
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2016, 03:42:47 pm »
In a related vein, I got a SooCoo Cube 360 camera, which looks similar to the Kodak camera, but is substantially cheaper and simpler (and probably of poorer video quality).

I tried it out this morning, and whilst it produces a tolerable image quality, mounting it looking directly up, tends to show too much of me, and not enough of the surroundings.  I've seen it described as having a 190° range vertically, but I think it needs to be angled downwards, so it sees more video directly forward of the viewpoint.

You can find this (or very similar) cameras all over the place, for around £50.  It's clearly not going to be as good as the Kodak one, or other much more expensive options, but it's fun to experiment with.

I'm struggling with converting it into a form that can be uploaded reliably onto YouTube.  Whilst I can do this, any attempt to manipulate the file, eg trim the time, change the audio etc causes problems.  Currently this means I have to upload each 10 minute file onto YouTube, and I'm then limited to whatever editing the Video Manager allows.
Actually, it is rocket science.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2016, 04:41:15 pm »
I have the most basic GoPro Hero (£95).
It doesn't do anything but 1080p and 5Mp images (never used it for stills) but what it does do superbly is deal with bright skies and dark roads.

The angle of view, in my opinion, gives a true feeling of what it's like to be riding a bike. >>Sample Vid from my GoPro Hero .
The PixPro, from footage I've seen, gives an extremely distorted view, good for an occasional dramatic cut-away shot, but too much for a whole video.
Super wide-angle cameras are best used in tight confines (cockpit of a racing car, plane..etc).

I'd give it a 10/10 based on the quality:price index.  Plus you have a whole Ebay industry geared to providing cheap mounts for GoPros.

All my own opinion.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2016, 08:18:49 pm »
... The PixPro, from footage I've seen, gives an extremely distorted view, good for an occasional dramatic cut-away shot, but too much for a whole video.
Super wide-angle cameras are best used in tight confines (cockpit of a racing car, plane..etc). ...

You don't have to use these ultra-wide angle, fisheye cameras with traditional viewing mechanisms.  YouTube allows wide angle views to be "scrolled" by the user, so all that's on the screen is a not very distorted image, and you can manually change your viewpoint.  This does allow you to watch a ride either looking forward, backward, or even sideways!

How useful this will be, once the initial novelty wears off, I'm unsure, but it's certainly interesting.

Sean Kelly riding part of the Tour of Britain, in 360°
Actually, it is rocket science.

Samuel D

« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2016, 11:49:33 pm »
The angle of view, in my opinion, gives a true feeling of what it's like to be riding a bike. >>Sample Vid from my GoPro Hero .
The PixPro, from footage I've seen, gives an extremely distorted view, good for an occasional dramatic cut-away shot, but too much for a whole video.
Super wide-angle cameras are best used in tight confines (cockpit of a racing car, plane..etc).

There are various crop options with the Kodak. Have a look at this footage from it. I think it’s some of the best on-bike footage I’ve seen, though that might be because I know that Longchamp lap well.

When the lens is wide enough and mounted far enough back to show the rider’s hands (but not much more, like chest-mounted GoPros), it makes for highly immersive video.

Other than this Kodak, which options are wide enough to do this?