Author Topic: Dual bottle rack mount  (Read 4700 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Dual bottle rack mount
« on: 17 February, 2015, 03:15:00 pm »

I have a Klickfix Bottle click on the steering post of my Brompton, it's great and it's been working lovely for a couple of years.

I find that in summer I need to carry more water, especially when touring. I could get a second bottle click and mount them next to each other, but I am wondering if there exists a gadget for mounting 2 bottle racks onto one bottle mount. All my googling gives me results for attaching things to the underside of my saddle. An area already occupied...

Any ideas? If I can't find something off the shelf, I'll have a play at making something.

Julia
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Dual bottle rack mount
« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2015, 04:23:09 pm »
I know of a couple of options.

One option is to mount 2 bidons perpendicular to the frame tube. Scroll down http://www.tandemseast.com/parts/accessories.html to find a solution to copy.

The other mounted 2 cages piggybacked but aligned with the frame tube. I never saw this one in real life and can't recall if the piggybacked cage was welded or bolted to the cage in the normal position. http://www.bikepartsplace.com/discount/water-bottle-cage-b2-ss/ EDIT: seems to be welded together.

Beware of excessive loadings. My framebuilder also did warranty frame repairs for some importers and I still recall seeing several lightweight steel MTBs with torn down tubes due to water bottle battery packs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2015, 04:26:37 pm »

I should have mentioned this is on my Brompton.

That double holder wouldn't work.

Cheers

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2015, 03:57:18 pm »
I'd have thought a two-into-one bottle cage adaptor needn't be more complicated than a metal plate with a few holes drilled in it, if that's the approach you want to take.

Alternatively, you can get 1litre bidons that'll fit a standard cage, or cages that'll take a 1.5litre drinks bottle.

Or find somewhere to strap a hydration bladder, I suppose...

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2015, 04:14:41 pm »
Topeak do a big bottle holder as Kim suggested.
A Free Parable Gorilla Cage will carry a small keg.
Thing us in the UK you are rarely that far from a source of water.  Churches an village halls often have outside taps.  I've asked people working in their gardens to fill my bisons, pubs, shops.
I rarely carry more than 750ml on a summer 150 miler.   
I don't see the point in lugging the extra weight around ...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2015, 04:27:22 pm »
....  I've asked people working in their gardens to fill my bisons, pubs, shops.

Of course, carrying a bison would be more than enough for anyone, surely? Let alone multiple ones...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 18 February, 2015, 04:43:07 pm »
Behind the saddle?

As stated clearly in my original post, that area is already occupied with a Carridice SQR rack + a 30L dry bag.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 18 February, 2015, 04:48:37 pm »
I'd have thought a two-into-one bottle cage adaptor needn't be more complicated than a metal plate with a few holes drilled in it, if that's the approach you want to take.

Alternatively, you can get 1litre bidons that'll fit a standard cage, or cages that'll take a 1.5litre drinks bottle.

Or find somewhere to strap a hydration bladder, I suppose...

My rationale for wanting 2, includes, but is in no way limited to:

- I already own several pairs of bike bottles, in differing sizes
- Space utilisation in that area of the bike
- I am not a great fan of hydration bladders. I also want to keep as much weight off my back and on the bike as I can.
- 1L bottle wouldn't be enough, I was looking to use two 800ml bottles in the height of summer.
- 1.5L coke bottles or similar I find tend not to be so good in terms of squirting liquid into your mouth as you cycle along.

It's looking like there is no COTS solution out there, so I shall have to break out the taps, and some ali, and have a play.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 18 February, 2015, 04:54:01 pm »
Topeak do a big bottle holder as Kim suggested.
A Free Parable Gorilla Cage will carry a small keg.
Thing us in the UK you are rarely that far from a source of water.  Churches an village halls often have outside taps.  I've asked people working in their gardens to fill my bisons, pubs, shops.

Couple of assumptions

- a) I'll be cycling in the UK
- b) I am comfortable going up to people in private homes and the like to ask for water.

Often it isn't practical to keep filling up at pubs and the like as you suggest, the country pub is becoming an increasingly rare beast.

I also like to carry more than just one bottle. It's a touring bike and I like to wild camp, meaning at the end of the day I need to take to camp with me enough water to drink, cook and wash with. a 750ml bottle isn't going to cut it. Hell, a pair of 800ml bottles is not quite enough, I used 3L on my last over nighter a couple of weeks back.

So, having fully justified my reasoning for asking my original questions. Anyone know of a dual bottle mount before I hit the workshop?

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:02:42 pm »

Agreed generally, but I've been caught out by the Sunday afternoon factor (in innocuous places like the East Midlands) in the past.  Obviously in a real emergency you can knock on random people's doors begging water, but that's not the sort of thing you want to plan to do, and if it's properly remote you don't even have that option.

On the other hand, if you're loaded touring the weight of a little extra water isn't really a big deal.  I like to have some extra in summer for things like soaking caps and washing eyes out.

Of course, I wouldn't really want to ride further than one bottle of water would reasonably allow on a Brompton anyway.  I've got a touring bike and a 5 litre water bag for that.  But the OP presumably has her reasons.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:06:59 pm »
Of course, I wouldn't really want to ride further than one bottle of water would reasonably allow on a Brompton anyway.  I've got a touring bike and a 5 litre water bag for that.  But the OP presumably has her reasons.

Did I ever tell you how I love my Brompton? I have 5 bikes in the stable, but I do more kilometers on the Brompton within a week, than I've done on the other 4 combined, in the last 2 years.

Given that it's often cheaper for me to get a eurostar or ferry to the continent, than it is for me to get to anywhere much outside the south east of the UK, I'm looking at more tours in the Benelux and the like. Where having a folding bike is a real asset.

Oh, and I love my Brompton. The geometry works well for me, it's comfy to ride, and allows me to do the cycle till knackered, then get a bus home type trips.

I also really love my Brompton...

Julia
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:07:46 pm »
Often it isn't practical to keep filling up at pubs and the like as you suggest, the country pub is becoming an increasingly rare beast.

Indeed.

I also like to carry more than just one bottle. It's a touring bike and I like to wild camp, meaning at the end of the day I need to take to camp with me enough water to drink, cook and wash with. a 750ml bottle isn't going to cut it. Hell, a pair of 800ml bottles is not quite enough, I used 3L on my last over nighter a couple of weeks back.

I reiterate my hydration bag suggestion (I'm thinking Ortlieb rather than Camelbak, here):  You've got a bottle you can drink from while riding, so it doesn't need to have an accessible hydration hose, and you can attach it anywhere convenient (which can be rolled up in another piece of luggage until the last fill-up of the day).  Perhaps hanging down from the saddle and strapped to the seatpost in some way?  Hm, could you fill a Durex Emergency Water Carrier™ and stuff it down the main frame tube?  Would that have a useful volume?   :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:15:08 pm »

Did I ever tell you how I love my Brompton? I have 5 bikes in the stable, but I do more kilometers on the Brompton within a week, than I've done on the other 4 combined, in the last 2 years.

I love mine too, but I'd need a very good reason[1] to want to ride more than about 50km on it... too slow and uncomfortable.  But it takes all sorts...  :)

[1] Probably "bloodytrains" or "to prove that I can".

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:15:52 pm »
I reiterate my hydration bag suggestion (I'm thinking Ortlieb rather than Camelbak, here):  You've got a bottle you can drink from while riding, so it doesn't need to have an accessible hydration hose, and you can attach it anywhere convenient (which can be rolled up in another piece of luggage until the last fill-up of the day).  Perhaps hanging down from the saddle and strapped to the seatpost in some way?

This is my bike on a recent over nighter:

The front bag contained 3L of water, and my winter sleeping bag. The rear bag is a 30L alpkit dry bag, containing everything else.

In summer, my summer sleeping bag fits in the rear dry bag along with everything else, so I don't need the front bag. In theory I could do something to bungee a bladder along side the rear bag. Tho that is only rated for 10kg, and in summer contains about 6kg of kit before I then add any food. So carrying 3L of water would limit how much food I can take...

The photo also shows why I can't fit the bottles under the saddle.

Which brings me back as to why I was thinking of mounting a couple of bottles on the steering post where I already have a bottle click with a bottle rack on it...

Julia

Julia
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:17:37 pm »
Ortlieb water bag (or sturdy bottle) strapped to the rear rack, sorted.

(Is that an XRF8(w)?)  ETA: Yes

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:19:22 pm »
I love mine too, but I'd need a very good reason[1] to want to ride more than about 50km on it... too slow and uncomfortable.  But it takes all sorts...  :)

[1] Probably "bloodytrains" or "to prove that I can".

Slow isn't a major issue, I don't notice me being slower on a Brompton than I am on any of my other bikes. I'm just generally slow. I'm out there to enjoy the scenery so it's not a major issue. I would like to build up my fitness so I can do ~80-100km a day on the Brompton, for consecutive days. I have had it fitted with a sturmey archer 8 speed hub, so the gearing is a bit better than it was as standard. Also comfier bar grips... It's fair to say I've made a lots of upgrades to the bike, and am starting to wonder how much more I would need to replace before I can build a whole second Brompton from the bits in the spares box...

Julia
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #17 on: 18 February, 2015, 05:20:38 pm »
(Is that an XRF8(w)?)

You really are a goddess of bike geekery aren't you? Yes it is.

Julia
--

« Reply #18 on: 18 February, 2015, 08:42:34 pm »
Just found out this looks like wasted effort..  checked out klick-fix bottle mount
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rixen-Kaul-Bottle-Holder-Mechanism/dp/B0011DTVYQ

But custom fitting much stronger, for a bonus has a light bracket. :-)

« Reply #19 on: 18 February, 2015, 09:03:38 pm »
....  I've asked people working in their gardens to fill my bisons, pubs, shops.

Of course, carrying a bison would be more than enough for anyone, surely? Let alone multiple ones...
You can never be too sure ....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 18 February, 2015, 09:48:43 pm »
(Is that an XRF8(w)?)

You really are a goddess of bike geekery aren't you? Yes it is.

I recognised the crankset, owing to having spent some time establishing that the 160mm version is unobtanium in Europe.  I got the wheel and modified tensioner from Kinetics and sorted an alternative crankset out myself.

I am a mere amateur bike geek compared to most here.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2015, 09:52:29 pm »
Just found out this looks like wasted effort..  checked out klick-fix bottle mount
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rixen-Kaul-Bottle-Holder-Mechanism/dp/B0011DTVYQ

It's called a bottle click, it is what I have on my bike currently as a water bottle mount. It's handy as it means I can remove the bottle + cage when I fold the bike.

I could get a second one and put it next to the first. That is one solution. But before I did that, I wanted to check if there were other possibilities.

Making something that allows me to fit two bottles to one bottle click appeals as it would speed folding...

Julia
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #22 on: 18 February, 2015, 09:54:56 pm »

I recognised the crankset, owing to having spent some time establishing that the 160mm version is unobtanium in Europe.  I got the wheel and modified tensioner from Kinetics and sorted an alternative crankset out myself.

I am a mere amateur bike geek compared to most here.

Still impressed.

I got given the upgrade as a gift by a friend. It's nice, and it's increased what I can do with the bike. I would like to be able to fit a smaller chain ring than the 33 that's on there. But it seems that such things don't really exist. There also isn't enough room at the rear end to fit a bigger cog.

Julia
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23 on: 18 February, 2015, 10:20:10 pm »
I got given the upgrade as a gift by a friend. It's nice, and it's increased what I can do with the bike. I would like to be able to fit a smaller chain ring than the 33 that's on there. But it seems that such things don't really exist. There also isn't enough room at the rear end to fit a bigger cog.

XD2 triple crankset from Spa Cycles, with a 119mm JIS taper bottom bracket.  Sadly it has to be the triple in order to take a <33t ring (the double is otherwise more sensible).  You can then fit a bash-ring to the outer position to act as a trouser guard, and optionally a larger[1] ring in the middle position to give a manually-shifted[2] higher gear range.  Mine's got a 28t and a 39t, which gives me a "riding in civvies / climbing hills" range and a "downhill and flatlands" range.

There are probably better alternatives in the world of BMX or single-speed mountain biking if you're happy with standard length cranks, but determining the bottom bracket axle length left as an exercise for the reader.

[1] My Kinetics tensioner (based on the dérailleur version) can just cope with a 11t difference without the chain going slack when folded in the smaller ring, but I suspect older versions may differ.
[2] If you're using pedals with foot retention, you can kick the chain down to the smaller ring while pedalling one-footed, but you need to stop and lift the chain by hand to change back up.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #24 on: 18 February, 2015, 10:39:28 pm »
XD2 triple crankset from Spa Cycles, with a 119mm JIS taper bottom bracket.  Sadly it has to be the triple in order to take a <33t ring (the double is otherwise more sensible).  You can then fit a bash-ring to the outer position to act as a trouser guard, and optionally a larger[1] ring in the middle position to give a manually-shifted[2] higher gear range.  Mine's got a 28t and a 39t, which gives me a "riding in civvies / climbing hills" range and a "downhill and flatlands" range.

This bottom bracket?. The blurb mentions pre 2013 bikes. Mine originated in 2007. Is the year of manufacture more to do with when they changed the chainset, rather than it not fitting in the frame?

That crankset seems to come in several sizes. I wonder then how to choose the right one. I could get a direct length replacement for the cranks I've got (I assume the ones kinetics sent me are >160mm). Or I wonder if I can get measured properly...

[1] My Kinetics tensioner (based on the dérailleur version) can just cope with a 11t difference without the chain going slack when folded in the smaller ring, but I suspect older versions may differ.

That is what mine is based on, tho he has since come up with what he thinks is an improved design. OOI, how long is your chain ?

[2] If you're using pedals with foot retention, you can kick the chain down to the smaller ring while pedalling one-footed, but you need to stop and lift the chain by hand to change back up.[/sub]

No, I have the newer Brompton folding pedals, the ali ones. If only Brompton could make a set with a folding pedal, SPD fitting on one side, and a normal side...

Julia
--