Author Topic: Removing brambles from shrubs  (Read 3375 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Removing brambles from shrubs
« on: 07 June, 2015, 06:16:07 pm »
Is what I've been doing today.

Of course, take off and nuke the entire site from orbit is the usual cure for brambles - it's the only way to be sure. But, in this case I want to rescue the shrubs and hedging through and over which the brambles are entwined and spread.

So, fully gauntletted, I've been reaching in and cutting as far down the stem as I can stretch. Repeat for each stem. Repeat for each sub-stem. Repeat 'cos I missed some. Etc. Etc. It's hot, thorny, and slow work.

Can anyone reassure me that this is going to work? I'm expecting to have to rinse and repeat every few months until the bramble get the hint and die. But - they will die eventually, won't they?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Removing brambles from shrubs
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2015, 06:33:49 pm »
Same thing for me in the Brum garden.  After a couple several years of neglect the brambles had stems that were beyond secateurs and required deployment of the pruning saw.
This is year two.  Any regrowth and I'm on it immediately.  Encouragely, some of the stems seem to have died a death.  Not enough of them though. 
Keep at it.  They'll get the hint eventually.

Probably year 4 or 5.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2015, 06:47:58 pm »
When I moved into AWL Towers in 2008 the garden had clearly been neglected for several years. Ivy and brambles had taken over what had been a manicured haven. It took a good while to tame the space and I was amazed at how the brambles had shot a tight network of roots all across the garden. It was back-breaking work pulling them up, but worth it. Apart from the borders I very rarely get any regrowth. I do encourage it by the back gate as it is a highly effective barrier, as I discovered last week when I climbed over the gate!

My idea of encouraging nettles as a barrier failed miserably. Triffids are less mobile than nettle roots, I swear. They ended up forming a barrier to all and sundry and the day spent uprooting them was one I don't care to repeat.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2015, 10:41:55 pm »
A mattock will grub out most of the roots if there's room to swing it.  Otherwise you can often pull out much of the root after rain (depending on soil type, etc.).  Painting the leaves with glyphosate also works, eventually.

« Reply #4 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:13:22 pm »
A mattock is one of the greatest garden tools ever. Not sure why so few people have one. I have a full sized one and a little baby one handed one.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #5 on: 08 June, 2015, 02:19:15 pm »
A mattock is one of the greatest garden tools ever. Not sure why so few people have one. I have a full sized one and a little baby one handed one.

Agreed! - and now I want a baby one as I had no idea they existed.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2015, 05:44:04 pm »

Agreed! - and now I want a baby one as I had no idea they existed.

Do a search on mini or micro mattock. There are loads. Very popular with archaeologist apparently.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #7 on: 07 July, 2015, 02:21:41 pm »
Been working hard this year on our previously neglected slope. Neglected by reason of the steepness.

This year I took it on fully using a ladder to work off, and  by spraying Roundup I have succeeded beyond my wildest hopes. Where there were several hundred bramble stems I now have regrowth of under ten and am reaching for the Roundup again (to be painted on this time round not sprayed) when this showery weather settles. Now seeing good growth on the three apple trees that are on the slope and the petunias that have been planted are making a show.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2015, 11:43:12 am »
It's been a bit of messy rearguard action on this front, I'm afraid. Casualties have been taken - namely a hydrangea that succumbed to the enemy in a concerted surge attack while I was doing other things.

But, while the war has not been going well, there is occasional good news. The herb garden has been retaken and is no longer under threat. It is even thriving following the regime change and we have quite a range of fresh herbs at our fingertips.

However, I'm seriously thinking of throwing WMD (Roundup) into the fray come the Spring fighting season. Which tells you just how bad things are as this garden is a chemical free zone.

« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2015, 12:19:23 pm »
We have almost tamed our garden.  Three years ago when we moved in it was a month before we discovered a thirty foot christmas tree in the jungle at the top.  That area is now cleared and the old apple tree is gradually recovering.  The stone wall along one side is almost ivy-free, and the once impenetrable borders now have both plants that we introduced and a number that had been swamped in the undergrowth.  Nearly all done with mattock, spade and a certain amount of blood, sweat and tears.  We are considering nuking next-door's abandoned jungle, or at least the edge of it.