Author Topic: Cycling By Coincidence  (Read 2930 times)

Cycling By Coincidence
« on: 25 October, 2015, 12:51:15 am »
THE UNBEARABLE CONNECTEDNESS OF BEING

It's important to remember that I had been writing an article to publicise next year's Audax National 400, which will go through the lovely Welsh town of Llangollen.  That was yesterday evening.

Today I rode along the Rochdale Canal and through the woods to Heywood, to catch an East Lancashire Railway train.  The idea was to get off at Bury, buy my (own) Christmas presents from the railwayana stalls and then complete the round trip via Rawtenstall on another service.  I arrived in Heywood early enough to get coffee and home-made bakewell tart from a local cafe.  Soon after, a Standard 4 tank delivered me to the beautifully restored Bury Bolton Street station.

I had only been there a few minutes when coincidence number one pulled in, in the form of a peculiar (to me) steam multiple unit, consisting of a GWR pannier tank sandwiched between two unusual looking carriages. 

Apparently the arrangement was a means of avoiding running the engine round the train to operate a return journey, when lines were being pulled up.  The coincidence hit when I looked at the name board on one of the coaches.

I watched the outfit steam down in the direction I had come from, locked my bike to a seat, mooched around the bookstalls and then caught the Welsh train on its return.  Coincidence number two announced itself from a seat by my elbow with, β€œIs it Peter?”  I had a surreptitious look at my driving licence and was able to confirm this.  My inquisitor was the daughter of a friend of mine.  I had only encountered her once before, at her father's funeral in Rochdale, at which time she was a resident of Coventry.  We had a nice chat which continued briefly in the Buffer Stop bar at Rawtenstall.

Thinking that would be it for the day, I caught the same train for its return to Bury and enjoyed the fine 1930s craftsmanship of the interior of the coaches, which date from around the 1930s, I was told.  Frilly rimmed glass lampshades and floral patterned lamp domes spoke of a more innocent time, or at least a time when trains were better manned. 

As I was getting off to wait for the next train, purely to ride on a different set-up, coincidence number three caught my eye.  There on the bulkhead was a plate commemorating the restoration of the coach at Appleby Heritage Centre. 

This is at Appleby station in Westmorland.  I've only been to Appleby station once in my life and that was a fortnight ago for the Dufton camping weekend.  Waiting for my train back to Leeds, I had taken a picture of a truck at the very Heritage centre of coincidental fame.

This was all becoming a bit spooky – but the gods weren't finished with me.  On the final connection, I put my bike in the guard's van (remember them?) where there was already a very sad machine lying on the floor.  I assume it was one of the period pieces that help to make Ramsbottom station such a time warp but it was in a very sorry state, having obviously been vandalised.

I chatted about this (and that) with one of the volunteers who had just finished his day on line maintenance.  It turned out that he lived over to Huddersfield, in Meltham.  This is where the much lamented John Radford lived and he knew all about his sad case.  Much musing as I rode home along the canal.

Four coincidences and I was only on the trains for about an hour.  Does God play dice?  I rather think she might.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Cycling By Coincidence
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2015, 09:01:13 am »
Lovely piece Peter.

I think She likes beautiful patterns with recurring themes and fascinating variations.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2015, 02:13:35 pm »
Cheers, Ruthie.  She's obviously not very good at helping me count after a couple of pints - I've corrected it, now!

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 17 November, 2015, 01:47:07 pm »
Thanks Peter - nice story.

« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2016, 08:01:42 pm »
Coincidentally I have just found this lovely article after my rediscovery of the joys of cycle-train outings this week. No glamorous art nouveau (?) for me, just Arriva Trains Wales Cambrian coast train and a chat with some people I haven't seen for years and others I  hope to see again - next stop, to the Heart of Wales line by bike!... Cheers, Peter

ps, how do I insert photos into these posts?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2016, 11:10:39 pm »
Thanks for sharing :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2016, 12:24:03 am »
Thanks all!

Coincidentally I have just found this lovely article after my rediscovery of the joys of cycle-train outings this week. No glamorous art nouveau (?) for me, just Arriva Trains Wales Cambrian coast train and a chat with some people I haven't seen for years and others I  hope to see again - next stop, to the Heart of Wales line by bike!... Cheers, Peter

ps, how do I insert photos into these posts?
Ali, first of all you need a site hosting your pictures, such as facebook or something (I use something called filezilla, which my daughter downloaded from somewhere).  Then you type your post in the usual way, making sure you've sorted out "noscript" so that you can see all the icons.  When you want to put your picture in, you click on the image icon, which is the second from the left on the bottom line.  That will give you this:-

[img[/img]

You then paste in the url (web location) of your picture.  You can check if it's going to display be pressing the preview button on the bottom right of the post reply page.

Hope this helps!

Peter