Author Topic: I'm building a single speed pub bike  (Read 3075 times)

I'm building a single speed pub bike
« on: 03 November, 2015, 12:05:13 pm »
I have an old, cheap aluminium frame (that carried me over my first few audaxes) knocking around that I am going to turn in to a single speed pub bike, to be quite literally used for going to the pub and general local errands.  Basically something that has little value and I wouldn't be too upset about were it nicked.

I have a pair of rigida flyer wheels from a freecycle bike I built up for my wife.  They need re-building but should be fine enough.

Originally I was going to go for a flip-flop hub but after some consideration realised that my needs would be perfectly well served by using the existing hub with a single speed conversion kit (spacers & sprocket).

The frame has a vertical dropout and I think I've worked out that 42 - 17 should give me about the right gearing (65") and a suitably taught chain.  If that proves not to be the case I'll invest in a chain tensioner.

I've gone for a lowish gear as it's very hilly round my way.  I'll be re-using an old chainset but just removing the outer ring, hence the 42T at the front.

I have most of the parts I need already knocking around the place. There's a few sundries I've had to buy but they've only totalled £40 which I pleased about in my mission to make the bike as valueless as possible!

If I ever come across an old steel frame with horizontal dropouts (or track ends) for little to no money I will likely get that and move the parts over, building up a flip flop at the same time.

Looking forward to the build and trying out single speed for the first time!
Up the hills and round the bends

Re: I'm building a single speed pub bike
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:05:41 pm »
The build is complete!

I did need a chain tensioner in the end.

The wheels rigida flyer wheels were toast but I did manage to score a pair on freecycle that fit the bill well.

Only taken it for a short spin so far, but seems nice.  Might have to go a bit lower on the gearing though - the hills round here are steep!

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:19:12 pm »
I used to ride a single speed in Devon on 42x17.  Once you get used to it most hills are possible.  Sustained hills over 10% are a bit taxing but hey..

I didn't down the gear, I went up to 42x16.  Didn't seem any more/less difficult on hills but a bit more whiz on the flat

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:24:06 pm »
I used to ride a single speed in Devon on 42x17.  Once you get used to it most hills are possible.  Sustained hills over 10% are a bit taxing but hey..

I didn't down the gear, I went up to 42x16.  Didn't seem any more/less difficult on hills but a bit more whiz on the flat

The places I'm likely to go on it are either up and down the Derwent valley, which is very flat or up Cromford Hill, which is steep and a sustained 12% for a while.

I'm going to stick with 42x17 for now and seen how I get on anyway.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:30:58 pm »
I have an On One Inbred now with 2" tyres and 36x14 which works out pretty similar to 42x16

« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2015, 07:21:49 pm »
Mt, now Tiermat's, Orange Evo2 wa sgeared at 34:16 with 26 by 2 tyres and I managed to climb Briggate in Knaresborough on that. Wasn't easy and required standing up and a lot of pulling on the bars, but felt great to get to the flat bit at the top

Mike

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2015, 11:54:49 pm »
Mt, now Tiermat's, Orange Evo2 wa sgeared at 34:16 with 26 by 2 tyres and I managed to climb Briggate in Knaresborough on that. Wasn't easy and required standing up and a lot of pulling on the bars, but felt great to get to the flat bit at the top

Mike

I'm hoping that riding single speed a bit will help to strengthen my leg muscles.  On a geared bike I'm very much a spinner, partly because I have dodgy knees.  Will be interesting to see if the enforced lower cadence/greater power-per-stroke will cause issues with my knees or not.

And Mike - you might recognise the tyres on the bike!

« Reply #7 on: 13 November, 2015, 10:25:12 pm »

Mike

I'm hoping that riding single speed a bit will help to strengthen my leg muscles.  On a geared bike I'm very much a spinner, partly because I have dodgy knees.  Will be interesting to see if the enforced lower cadence/greater power-per-stroke will cause issues with my knees or not.

And Mike - you might recognise the tyres on the bike!

Nice to see the tyres in use - perfect for spinning along on a summers day.

I found fixed far harder on my knees than single speed, which I will build up again some time.

Enjoy

Mike

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 02 December, 2015, 11:34:24 pm »
I find that the majority of pubs are single speed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.