Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520670 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2925 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:54:53 pm »
Looks like the basis of a new ACME award trophy :thumbsup:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #2926 on: 07 February, 2018, 03:57:52 pm »
Looks like the basis of a new ACME award trophy :thumbsup:

If only we knew someone who was good at working with wood in a very precise manner....
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #2927 on: 07 February, 2018, 04:03:31 pm »
I was thinking of fixing the ACME stamp to the bottom and using it for stamping peoples cards...

I shall be removing the paint and repainting it red, yellow and black. I'll probably remove the little tab thing on the side and get one that says ACME made up  :)

There's loads of them on ebay - we should buy the whole uk stock of vintage mini anvils - I only paid a tenner for it including postage....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2928 on: 07 February, 2018, 04:09:45 pm »
I was thinking of fixing the ACME stamp to the bottom and using it for stamping peoples cards...

I shall be removing the paint and repainting it red, yellow and black. I'll probably remove the little tab thing on the side and get one that says ACME made up  :)

There's loads of them on ebay - we should buy the whole uk stock of vintage mini anvils - I only paid a tenner for it including postage....

:thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2929 on: 08 February, 2018, 10:41:36 am »
Well, that was a cold one last night.

The Compasses at Great Totham was probably just about far enough for everyone on a frozen evening.

I arrived to find Jiber, His Royal Buffness, Firestarter, Oaky and Captain Pugwash sitting round a lovely warming fire. We were soon joined by Bill Bailey [citation needed] who had suffered two visitations on the way there.

The Compasses seems to be on the up again and was offering a fine selection to we Beer Stravaists.  We sampled Greene King XX Mild (surprisingly good), New Year Daze by Bartrams (strong), Ported Porter by Iceni (weird) and Polar Beer by Wibblers, Polar Beer taking the coveted Quaffers' Choice Award.

Our entertainment for the evening was provided by Firestarter who, in trying to get the fire going again, tried to set light to Jiber's riding cap (he had another evening cap with him for the pub).  Jiber's face was a picture when he was handed his soot blackened headwear.  Luckily help was on hand.  Three Buffs was quick to advise Jiber to brush and vacuum the item prior to putting any water near it - at least he was quick to advise him of that after Jiber had tried to wash the cap in the sink.

Talk was of marital aids, the Easter Arrows, bike maintenance and other intellectual topics.

Needless to say, Oaky was his usual badly behaved self when not in the company of the more sensible elders and our planned 10pm departure turned into a midnight flit.  The frozen bikes and water bottles did not look promising as we left the pub but it wasn't too bad.  Although it was seriously cold, there was no wind and it was dry so two layers was fine for a pleasant saunter home along the gritted roads - I did notice the unusual lack of traffic but that was only to the good.

It was good to be back out on a Wednesday and hopefully we can start building up numbers again as the weather improves.  Next week - the Chelmsford beer festival, with added train assistance I suspect.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2930 on: 08 February, 2018, 11:32:22 am »
Yes was a chilly return (though felt colder on teh way out for some reason) plus the first time in a while I have ridden home and the street lights have gone out!

This is the programme I was struggling to remember the name of last night... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_7
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2931 on: 08 February, 2018, 11:40:13 am »
...Needless to say, Oaky was his usual badly behaved self when not in the company of the more sensible elders ...

Yes, sorry I wasn't there, I did actually go spinning and although I didn't drink any beer yesterday evening two glasses of Prosecco went down rather nicely.

« Reply #2932 on: 08 February, 2018, 11:55:44 am »
...Needless to say, Oaky was his usual badly behaved self when not in the company of the more sensible elders ...

Yes, sorry I wasn't there, I did actually go spinning and although I didn't drink any beer yesterday evening two glasses of Prosecco went down rather nicely.

You've changed.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2933 on: 08 February, 2018, 11:57:45 am »

You've changed.

Isn’t that what everyone wanted?  ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2934 on: 08 February, 2018, 05:38:53 pm »
I have received an invite from the Lee Valley Velodrome for the period April to June if as a club we would like to visit again.  The sessions we have usually enjoyed are on Wednesday evenings starting at 8pm.  Weekend mornings are also available but we have not been allocated one of those yet.
I have a short window in which to reply if we want to apply for a club session.  Please reply here if you are interested.  If I get enough interest I'll apply.

« Reply #2935 on: 15 February, 2018, 02:02:04 pm »
I find that cycling on familiar terrain is a boost, especially when on longer rides. Knowing the route, knowing what will be available on the way for eating, knowing any difficult sections to prepare for mentally, all help.

One of the harder rides I'm doing this year is the TINAT 600b, which for at least the first half shares much in common with the 400 and 300 routes. So I've been thinking about how to recce the route in advance, to aid progress during the event. I've now got a cunning plan.

Yr Elenydd is on the 7th April. Starts at 6am, so should be finished by 1am on the Sunday. If the forecast is favourable, I'm thinking about using the Sunday for a leisurely drive down to Llandrindod Wells, checking out key sections of the TINAT routes that might be nearby on the drive down. Camp in Llandrindod Wells, and ride a DIY version of the TINAT 300 route on the Monday, but taking in Tywyn as per the 600 and 400 routes. This includes all 5 off-road sections. Then drive home on the Tuesday morning. (2 days off work, assuming Friday PM to get to Upton Magna, and home by lunchtime on the Tuesday).

If the weather is not favourable, I'd just head home on the Sunday and look to combine the TINAT 300 route with another ride later in April.

Any takers for the 9th April ride?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2936 on: 16 February, 2018, 12:19:15 pm »
Sounds like a fab idea but I suspect the overall load will be a bit too much for me (400 Arrow then a lumpy 300 the following weekend, then a DIY300 a few days later).

I recon Carlos will be up for it though ;)
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #2937 on: 16 February, 2018, 03:23:21 pm »
Go on then ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #2938 on: 18 February, 2018, 08:24:08 pm »
This Saturday I'm leading a Dunmow Velo ride to the London Bike Show at ExCel, Docklands: leaving Dunmow at 07:00, via Hatfield Heath, Moreton, Epping to the 'Narrowboat' Cafe at Waltham Abbey for breakfast sometime between 09:00 and 10:00. Then following the Lea Navigation towpath almost all the way there, probably arriving about midday. There's secure cycleparking specially for the event outside ExCel. I'll be bringing my lunch, but remember from last time there was a craft ale bar, if more incentive were needed...

Some riders may plan to return part-way by train, others car-assisted as far as Waltham Abbey.

In other news, my souvenir 'LEL Toenail' has finally and relatively painlessly detached itself this weekend  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2939 on: 19 February, 2018, 08:21:52 am »
In other news, my souvenir 'LEL Toenail' has finally and relatively painlessly detached itself this weekend  :o

Thanks, I'm very squeamish and certainly don't do feet.  I'm not I want breakfast now  :sick:

« Reply #2940 on: 22 February, 2018, 10:43:27 am »
I don't know if it was the impending month of thundersnow (see tabloid newspapers) or the fact that Sid James was out but we had an extremely well attended evening at the Orange Tree last night.

As a bit of a change, I also arrived first having ridden my little bike in the sleet across OD's mudfest of a route - that he didn't even use to get home.

I was soon joined by Pugwash, Jiber, Sid, Mrs Jiber, Bobb and Tomsk.  It was some time before the Witham peloton arrived after sorting out a visitation but they added OD, Huggy, Firestarter, Oaky and the Hustler to our merry band.

It all got a bit like a night at TGI Fridays after that with group renditions of happy birthday - firstly for Bobb and then our half-centurion the Hustler.  Poor old Sid isn't as quick as he used to be so he had no chance of escaping when OD started his healing hands business on his knackered knees.  I wonder if the kindest thing for Sid might be to shoot him - or is that just for horses ?

It was a Skinners takeover at the Orange Tree so we sampled Porthleven, Lushingtons, Penny Come Quick, Hops 'n Honey, Cornish Knocker and Betty Stogs.   Porthleven took the coveted Quaffer's Choice with one judge describing it has a having a long taste.

OD, never one to follow the herd, decided it was a merlot and gin night instead.  I think the merlot was his way of saying sorry to the various people he has insulted over the last week or so but I didn't mind joining in as I was heading home by train and taxi.

While Jiber and I finished our last drinks and engaged in some civilised discussion, the roughnecks that comprise the Witham peloton headed off to buy a kebab from a van at the side of the A12  :sick:

Next week we will be arriving by snowplough, probably.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2941 on: 22 February, 2018, 11:20:18 am »
It was a Skinners takeover at the Orange Tree so we sampled Porthleven, Lushingtons, Penny Come Quick, Hops 'n Honey, Cornish Knocker and Betty Stogs.   

You missed the Splendid Tackle which I enjoyed amongst my other drinks.

The  kebab at Boss Hogg's was excellent.  Oaky suggested we have a Wednesday evening specifically devoted to Boss Hogg, a motion I certainly second.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2942 on: 22 February, 2018, 12:31:46 pm »
I’ve just had a quick Google and discovered Skinner’s Ales come from CORNWALL  :facepalm: We colluded with a massive beer mile infringement, no wonder the human race is doomed.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #2943 on: 22 February, 2018, 12:35:48 pm »
I’ve just had a quick Google and discovered Skinner’s Ales come from CORNWALL  :facepalm: We colluded with a massive beer mile infringement, no wonder the human race is doomed.
you should do your research before attending events, all the information was available to you before setting out  :P

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2944 on: 22 February, 2018, 12:40:08 pm »

I think if it were just a lonely keg then yes, beer mile infringement, but seeing as it was over half the brewery, then thats OK with me  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2945 on: 22 February, 2018, 12:49:01 pm »
you should do your research before attending events, all the information was available to you before setting out  :P

I’m impressed with my subconscious, I instinctively knew a beer mile infringement was taking place so instinctively switched to Merlot and gin  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2946 on: 22 February, 2018, 01:18:31 pm »
I’m impressed with my subconscious, I instinctively knew a beer mile infringement was taking place so instinctively switched to Merlot and gin  :thumbsup:

Merlot being such a well known Essex product and all.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2947 on: 22 February, 2018, 01:45:36 pm »

There are no such things as Merlot Miles on the basis that, as you rightly point out, Merlot is not made locally.  Beer miles are a sin as beer is made locally so why transport it from far off locations like chuffin' CORNWALL?  >:(  You could have gin miles as gin is made in Witham. 

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2948 on: 22 February, 2018, 04:24:08 pm »

There are no such things as Merlot Miles on the basis that, as you rightly point out, Merlot is not made locally.  Beer miles are a sin as beer is made locally so why transport it from far off locations like chuffin' CORNWALL?  >:(  You could have gin miles as gin is made in Witham.

Hmmm....
http://www.englishwineproducers.co.uk/vineyards/east-anglia/
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #2949 on: 22 February, 2018, 06:07:45 pm »
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...