Author Topic: Wetherspoons POI  (Read 23089 times)

Ben T

Re: Wetherspoons POI
« Reply #25 on: 17 February, 2016, 11:46:28 am »
yes

Phil W

« Reply #26 on: 17 February, 2016, 11:56:30 am »
I'm sure can update his code to fix that. If he released it to a web page so you could grab the latest anytime you wanted, that'd be even better,
I could do that fairly easily.
here you go www.gpxeditor.co.uk/Poi/Wetherspoons

Great, just loaded up into Basecamp.

« Reply #27 on: 17 February, 2016, 06:45:49 pm »
yes
You're a star. Thanks very much. I can see myself returning to that link a fair bit.

Ben T

« Reply #28 on: 17 February, 2016, 08:50:23 pm »
How often do they change? Are they knocking up new ones all the time?   :-\

« Reply #29 on: 17 February, 2016, 09:47:45 pm »
Yes:

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/opening-soon

I went in a new one over Christmas - in fact one could say it was the most impressive thing in the town (a saved old building) - better not say which town.

Phil W

« Reply #30 on: 17 February, 2016, 11:35:01 pm »
Be great if they had proximity alarms as well, so they'd pop up on GPS as you approach.

« Reply #31 on: 18 February, 2016, 05:23:49 am »
The spoons file used to until i figured out how to turn it off  - not a great feature - i live round the corner from one so it warbled every time i cycled past.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #32 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:32:56 am »
I don't get it.
Is this some sort of hipster cult??

I've only been in one Wetherspoons and it was the most depressing place imaginable.   ???
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #33 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:55:19 am »
No frankie

Not everything these days has to be ironic/knowing/cultish/in.

Described by someone who knows about beer as a permanent beer festival on the high street (and you don't have to pay to get in/stand in a dull bare room with folk who maybe appreciate/talk about beer too much.

Yes some can be depressing/cavern like and many have a certain lack of character (business model has often meant converting shops etc) and you do get a few lost souls in there - that's life.

But in an age when many places have become hipster/niche establishments (and don't tell me there aren't some painfully in/up themselves cycling cafes) for whatever demographic who wouldn't be seen dead with their neighbouring demographic (and of course next bleedin week the demographic definitions will change) some Spoons have actually become akin to the old fashioned local with a healthy mix of types. Hell you even get some hipsterish looking folks in my local one.

International beer festival coming up soon - might be something interesting from a young Italian birrificio - there was an excellent one a couple of years ago and I was able to drink it free of selfie obsessed poseurs.

cheers :)

{thanks for all your help in the past by the way}

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #34 on: 19 February, 2016, 10:53:08 am »
Yes some can be depressing/cavern like and many have a certain lack of character (business model has often meant converting shops etc) and you do get a few lost souls in there - that's life.

Yes - that's the sort of thing I had in mind.  :thumbsup:  Ah, I see - part of the attraction.  Hm.   :-\
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #35 on: 19 February, 2016, 07:19:38 pm »
mm, well as you say you have only ever been in one so the emojis are a tad overdone.

and there are more pluses than i mentioned.

cheers

« Reply #36 on: 12 May, 2016, 02:39:15 pm »
Thanks again for your work on that Ben T - very welcome on a recent ride from birmingham to london. After an interesting night in a bivi my Etrex 20 and your file it got me to the warm welcome of one of two in Aylesbury where I had their decent breakfast and a fair few good strong coffees on their free refills deal. Will be returning to it regularly for updates.

« Reply #37 on: 19 May, 2018, 02:18:22 pm »
Many thanks again for this Ben T. Just tried it again and it works - now to refresh my mind on how to get these POIs into my Etrex 20 without screwing up the existing one. Sure I'll manage it.

Ben T

« Reply #38 on: 19 May, 2018, 08:19:49 pm »
That's ok, forgot it had that bit of code in to be honest, glad it still works...

Went in one in Ripon the other week, bit "dingy", but very nice beer, and quick served, piping hot (as I like), nice, food.

« Reply #39 on: 20 May, 2018, 07:51:40 am »
:)
I checked it out after someone on another forum mentioned a new one in saint ives, near cambridge.

Your code delivers that and the new one in gorleston.

Both may prove handy for planned tours that way.

If you like strong beer, can recommend the one in colne. Very thoughtfully, bar is alway arranged with the strong ones on the left :)

« Reply #40 on: 17 June, 2018, 10:56:56 am »

here you go www.gpxeditor.co.uk/Poi/Wetherspoons

if you POST

{"location":{"lng":0,"lat":0},"paging":{"numberPerPage":1000,"page":1,"UsePagination":true},"term":null,"searchType":0,"searchAddress":false}

to

https://api.jdwetherspoon.com/api/pubs

it produces

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55634526/arc-response-2016%20Feb%2014%2012-24-45.json

which can be converted into

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55634526/Wetherspoons.gpx

Please explain in a little more detail what you mean by POSTing the code to the api.  I've not got to grips with the fundamentals of www.gpxeditor.co.uk and would like a clue as to how/where to start.  My aim is to look at your approach (which works well for 'spoons) and use it to collect other poi data.

Similarly, what does the code behind www.gpxeditor.co.uk/Poi/Wetherspoons look like?  Is it visible?

Ben T

« Reply #41 on: 17 June, 2018, 12:46:12 pm »

Please explain in a little more detail what you mean by POSTing the code to the api.  I've not got to grips with the fundamentals of www.gpxeditor.co.uk and would like a clue as to how/where to start.  My aim is to look at your approach (which works well for 'spoons) and use it to collect other poi data.

Similarly, what does the code behind www.gpxeditor.co.uk/Poi/Wetherspoons look like?  Is it visible?

POST is simply an http verb, so "posting the data to the API" means sending an http request to that URL with POST as the verb and that JSON in the body. Read up on http and REST.
Whether you could replicate it for other types of poi would depend on whether other chains expose the data as to the locations of their outlets , and even if they do, each would probably be in a different format so would need at least some custom code writing for each one.
If there are any you are particularly interested in let me know and I'll build it into gpxeditor if they expose it.

« Reply #42 on: 21 June, 2019, 12:41:43 pm »
Thanks again Ben T.

Just used your wonderful tool again.

Definitely still works as it included the newish one near Kings Cross/St Panc in London - though not one I am a fan of and unlikely to be visiting it on a loaded bike.

Now loaded onto the Etrex20x.

Ben T

« Reply #43 on: 21 June, 2019, 12:43:15 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 22 December, 2019, 09:32:03 pm »
I've only just come across this thread and it inspired me to have a look at how Spoons POIs could be displayed in Oruxmaps. I did a offline waypoint search in Oruxmaps for "Wetherspoons" then hit the button that creates an overlay, nifty
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #45 on: 23 December, 2019, 12:21:12 am »
If you're using a smartphone, you might as well use the Wetherspoon app which has an offline map and lets you order without any pesky human interaction.

(In theory you could order before you arrive, but you'd need to guess a table number)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #46 on: 23 December, 2019, 12:33:08 am »
Tell you what - don't go to Wetherspoons. It's shit.

« Reply #47 on: 23 December, 2019, 05:59:44 am »
If you're using a smartphone, you might as well use the Wetherspoon app which has an offline map and lets you order without any pesky human interaction.

(In theory you could order before you arrive, but you'd need to guess a table number)

Indeed.
You could order a banana.
If you are that way inclined.
The staff will happily bring it to someone else's table.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #48 on: 23 December, 2019, 07:32:49 am »
It's a rowing tradition that when you get knocked out at Henley royal regatta, you go to the Catherine wheel spoons in town and share your table number on social media to invite people to send you food and drinks. It has been known for teams to be inundated with bowls of peas, bananas, and glasses of milk.

I really want to hate wetherspoons as it's run by a psycho but it is very good for what it is. I'm particularly keen that you can sit wherever next to your bike and have things brought over without having to take your eye off it. Why are they still the only company (afaik) that is capable of this?
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #49 on: 23 December, 2019, 09:07:22 am »
I've only just come across this thread and it inspired me to have a look at how Spoons POIs could be displayed in Oruxmaps. I did a offline waypoint search in Oruxmaps for "Wetherspoons" then hit the button that creates an overlay, nifty

I have Ben T's file imported into my offline OSMandplus on my android tab. The spoons are highlighted in a separate colour - very handy as I zig zag around the country.