Author Topic: Bought any kitchen stuff today?  (Read 7610 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Bought any kitchen stuff today?
« Reply #25 on: 19 February, 2017, 11:08:43 pm »
Which is what happened to co-shirker last year.

« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2017, 05:26:12 pm »

I went to the supermarket, in search of a couple of shallow smallish cake tins.  I found those, and also found some plastic storage containers and small plates ...
Actually, it is rocket science.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #27 on: 30 April, 2017, 05:44:16 pm »
Depending on the mandoline design they can probably comfort themselves with the thought that at some point your fingertips will also be for the chop...

Yep, I know that one.

« Reply #28 on: 05 October, 2017, 12:24:48 pm »
One of these days I'll ask a Danish friend to get me a Raadvad peeler, to replace the one I had from my late grandmother, which got broken.

I've never had a better peeler.

Like this ?

(although that particular one appears to be left handed).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 16 October, 2017, 06:00:16 pm »
Not just kitchen "stuff" but a kitchen! We found the perfect one, not very far away, ex-display, for not much more than the appliances alone would cost us!

Now all we need is a room in which to place it!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #30 on: 30 October, 2017, 12:00:54 pm »
Some ceramic baking beans, for blind baking pastry (and possibly other things).

... as used here. ;D

« Reply #31 on: 01 November, 2017, 01:53:37 pm »
I'm on a bit of a cookery purchasing roll, at the moment!

A Lock & Lock cake storage thingy, since I've got fed up trying to lever cakes in and out of plastic containers, that they barely fit into.  I can easily just lift an entire cake out, on the supplied lifting bit. :thumbsup:  Currently occupied by half a lemon meringue pie.

Also, a set of reasonable knives, and a moderately acceptable sharpener.  I'm planning on trying to keep these knives in a reasonable condition, hence the sharpener.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #32 on: 01 November, 2017, 01:58:11 pm »
The trick to getting cakes out of a container is to lay the lid top side down on the work surface, put the cake on that then add the main container part as the lid. That way you can just remove the container and cut the cake on the lid.

« Reply #33 on: 01 November, 2017, 06:33:57 pm »
That's true, but no one makes cake tins using that approach, so they tend to look very odd, upside-down !

tiermat

« Reply #34 on: 01 November, 2017, 06:37:31 pm »
Not tins, no but Curver make a cake box where the centre is the same height as the lip, for just this reason (Mrs T has one)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #35 on: 01 November, 2017, 08:05:21 pm »
A Wusthof knife sharpener. If you like kitchen stuff be very wary of Steamer Trading in Harrogate they will lighten your wallet considerably. They have a two story wall of kitchen bins for Gods sake!
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

tiermat

« Reply #36 on: 26 November, 2017, 07:03:23 pm »
A Wusthof knife sharpener. If you like kitchen stuff be very wary of Steamer Trading in Harrogate they will lighten your wallet considerably. They have a two story wall of kitchen bins for Gods sake!

My bank manager wept the day that Steamer opened a store in NTR! I regularly spend time just staring at their knife selection.

« Reply #37 on: 29 November, 2017, 07:01:52 pm »
How I wish I hadn't clicked on the Steamer Trading link.....
This afternoon I collected a Damascus pattern chef's knife from Divertimenti in Brompton Road.
Tonight's coriander is for the chop......

« Reply #38 on: 17 December, 2017, 04:39:27 pm »
... This afternoon I collected a Damascus pattern chef's knife from Divertimenti in Brompton Road. ...

Divertimenti is good, I haven't been in there for ages, I need to wander across ...  ;D

I just ordered a small set of three Pyrex bowls; 0.5L, 1L and 2L.

I broke a 2L one a while ago, and a 1L just slid out of the cupboard as I opened the door, so is now in the bin, in a variety of pieces.  It was cheaper to order the set from Amazon, rather than buy individual bowls from Sainsburys (and in fact, is cheaper than buying the 2 bowls from Sainsburys!)

« Reply #39 on: 03 May, 2018, 10:55:55 am »
Yesterday I broke the thermal jug on my trusty and very basic Melitta filter coffee machine. It's done at least one jug a day and often two or three for several years without fault.
So I splashed out on their top of the range filter machine the Aroma Elegance Therm DeLuxe (typical German company product naming). Its still very cheap compared to a decent espresso machine and I prefer filter to espresso anyway.
In my opinion it's a thing of beauty and pleasingly industrial looking with an insulated stainless steel jug and it comes apart properly to clean it.

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.