Author Topic: Gas & Electric deal switching...  (Read 2174 times)

Gas & Electric deal switching...
« on: 27 February, 2019, 02:29:09 pm »
On a variable atm, and haven't switched for a while, so what are the things to beware of, and which are the best sites to use to switch?

Any supplier to avoid?  Anyone with Green Network Energy?

I've had a look at one EDF deal, and it mentions that you agree to a smart meter installation.  Are smart meters still specific to individual companies, creating problems  if you want to switch again in a yr or two?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Gas & Electric deal switching...
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2019, 05:16:13 pm »
I've had a look at one EDF deal, and it mentions that you agree to a smart meter installation.  Are smart meters still specific to individual companies, creating problems  if you want to switch again in a yr or two?

It's only a problem in that they'll send the meter bods round to swap the smart meter for a different kind of smart meter.

« Reply #2 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:55:20 pm »

It's only a problem in that they'll send the meter bods round to swap the smart meter for a different kind of smart meter.

Ok thanks.  So no smart meter change associated costs for the consumer then...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 February, 2019, 07:56:47 pm »

Ok thanks.  So no smart meter change associated costs for the consumer then...

We get those anyway.   >:(

« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2019, 08:38:16 pm »
On a variable atm, and haven't switched for a while, so what are the things to beware of, and which are the best sites to use to switch?

I did it by using a couple of comparison sites for pricing, doing a bit of a search for reviews, selecting a supplier, and then using the supplier's switching from their own website rather than a comparison site. I went for Octopus last time round (18 months or so ago) and the process was easy and unremarkable.

« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2019, 10:54:49 am »

If the smart meter is SMETS2 compliant then it should be transferrable between suppliers.  If it was one of the earlier SMETS1 standard then it may need replacing when you change supplier, but that's at their cost... and your disruption.

There's been a raft of small suppliers go bust over the last 6 months, but Ofgem has in place a Supplier Of Last Resort process so the worst that should happen is you end up with a different supplier on their standard variable tariff and any credit balances should be protected.

The market is dynamic, so whoever is competitive today might not be in a couple of months.  Unless cost is the key concern, I'd choose a supplier that has good customer service and charges a fair price.  Also, features like a decent mobile app for submitting meter reads and viewing bills etc. are worth considering, although should be a moot point if the smart meter is doing its job properly!

« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2019, 02:44:25 pm »
We've been on Eon for years. I actually decided to have a look at switching last month and by the time I'd been through a couple of price comparison sites and looked at the options I stayed put. It was slightly more expensive like about £2 a month.

For the £24 difference a year from a major supplier to a company I'd never heard of so as far as I could tell it's all a bit nonsense really. The companies are being forced by Ofgem and the government to ensure we are on their best rate and the suppliers all vary by a pound or two each month.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

rob

« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2019, 02:54:17 pm »
We've been on Eon for years. I actually decided to have a look at switching last month and by the time I'd been through a couple of price comparison sites and looked at the options I stayed put. It was slightly more expensive like about £2 a month.

For the £24 difference a year from a major supplier to a company I'd never heard of so as far as I could tell it's all a bit nonsense really. The companies are being forced by Ofgem and the government to ensure we are on their best rate and the suppliers all vary by a pound or two each month.

Sorry but the last sentence isn't correct.   It's the consumers responsibility to ensure they get the best deal, either by shopping around or negotiating with their existing supplier.   The suppliers will more than happily let you pay their SVR even if it is now capped by Ofgem.

rob

« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2019, 03:00:57 pm »
Something to bear in mind with the algorithm's that the switching sites use.   At the moment I am on a fixed rate with Eon deal that expires at the end of Sep.   Uswitch looks at annual costs.   At the moment when it looks at my cost projection It assumes 7 mths on my fixed rate and then 5 mths of SVR so forecasts an annual cost of £1,950 (I use a lot of gas).

Today it says I can save £250 by switching (less the £60 early exit fee).   This looks almost interesting, however the forecast saving is not real as I will move or recontract prior to the end of the fixed rate deal.   When I drill down and look at the actual tariffs (very well hidden) I can see that I would be pretty much neutral if I moved.

This is one reason to be very careful of the auto switching sites like flipper as there's a chance they'll move you to a deal that is flat or worse and still collect their commission.

« Reply #9 on: 01 March, 2019, 03:19:29 pm »
It still wasn't worth my time. As you point out, you researched it and discovered you would be neutral. As with most things it's a race to the bottom. I was surprised* how little difference there was between suppliers so all you need to do is ensure you are on the best rate from your supplier. Which I am and that's all you need.

Life is too short to spend it on price comparison sites which have a vested interest in insisting you look.

*I shouldn't have been
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

rob

« Reply #10 on: 01 March, 2019, 04:28:41 pm »
It still wasn't worth my time. As you point out, you researched it and discovered you would be neutral.

Yes, but that is the current view.   I usually try to stay with my existing supplier at the end of the contract even if they're not the cheapest.   I have changed once a year for the last 4 years going - EDF-Sainsburys-npower-Eon.   The savings versus the renewal quote have been £150-£200 pa each time.

Tease and Squeeze is pretty common in the sector.   I paly the same game with car/house insurance each year.

« Reply #11 on: 03 March, 2019, 05:42:24 am »

Unless cost is the key concern, I'd choose a supplier that has good customer service and charges a fair price.  Also, features like a decent mobile app for submitting meter reads and viewing bills etc. are worth considering, although should be a moot point if the smart meter is doing its job properly!

As I've learned the hard way, cheap prices tend to mean very poor customer service. I've had crap service from a cheap car insurer following a prang, and crap service from a cheap energy company when I came to leave them (one of the Fischer Energy clone companies). While paying more doesn't guarantee anything, there does seem to be a loose correlation. Research is the key.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2019, 10:03:53 pm »
I tend to think that while you don't necessarily get what you pay for, you do pay for what you get.