Author Topic: Road deaths map  (Read 1063 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Road deaths map
« on: 21 August, 2014, 09:09:27 am »
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Re: Road deaths map
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2014, 09:17:24 am »
That's interesting.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2014, 09:22:24 am »
Fairly sure I've seen that - or something very similar - some time ago. Agreed that it's interesting, though maybe slightly ghoulish to look at roads near home.

Steph

« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2014, 09:40:35 am »
I found it interesting to see that some of the places I consider dangerous and in need of cameras/road planning are just that.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2014, 09:53:43 am »
It is interesting. Looking at bicycle statistics (obviously) in the Brighton & Hove area, I thought time-of-year would play a part; majority being in the winter months when poor road and weather conditions would surely be a contributory factor, but appears not so. Has to be said, there are few deaths for cyclists in our area fortunately. Pity it doesn't report non-fatel ones, as I imagine these would be significantly higher.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2014, 10:03:18 am »
That URL sounds familiar. Maybe ...

red marley

« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2014, 10:24:32 am »
Sort of interesting, but much of it pretty useless. I share a pet peeve with Mr Munroe:

The BBC heat map is just a map of roads. It would be more useful if figures were normalised with respect to the traffic volumes by mode. See also Robert Kosara's Eager Eyes blog.

Steph

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2014, 10:26:01 am »
Just had a look round Kingg's Cross. The repetition is chilling: "One goods vehicle (over 7.5t) and one bicycle were involved. The rider of the bicycle died"

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2014, 10:38:02 am »
Fairly sure I've seen that - or something very similar - some time ago. Agreed that it's interesting, though maybe slightly ghoulish to look at roads near home.

Altho on my main route into York (A1036 South side) I am encouraged that none are recorded.  Otherwise York looks like a measles case :( and Leeds far worse. 

Britain has one of the best records in the world for road casualties.

What the roads of the worst are like doesn't bear thinking about.

Can't wait for the day when emotion and irrationality are replaced by computer driven vehicles.
Move Faster and Bake Things

levitator

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2014, 11:33:22 am »
Point of information, in case anyone's misled by the map.  If you filter the results by clicking on the 'bike' box, the remaining orange dots on the map do not indicate cyclist deaths - merely fatal accidents in which a cyclist was involved.  With the 'bike' filter selected, I noticed a dot near where I live, which I had no recollection of: however on clicking on it, I discovered that it was a car occupant who died, the cyclist was injured but survived.  More than one car was involved.

The statistics are grim, but not as grim as they might have been.  Cycling is still relatively safe compared to other activities!