Author Topic: Fixed Wheel Claims  (Read 2350 times)

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
Fixed Wheel Claims
« on: 02 November, 2020, 07:36:55 am »
Hi all,

As we slide seamlessly into a new season, this is the time when I request all those who have achieved points on fixed wheel during the season just ended and who have not already done so, to let me have their points claims for that period. It will be helpful if you will add which rides have been done on fixed to enable me to confirm you are claiming everything to which you are entitled.  As ever, in case of query or difficulty, please contact me directly (off-list).  E-mail is preferable to snail mail for these claims unless your card needs validating – no point in risking these valuable items in the mail unnecessarily.

The usual time constraints to identify the trophy winners this year will clearly not apply, but the table will be published in Arrivée, so there will be a time limit of no later than 1st December.

At the same time, riders of other “niche” machines (tandems, upright trikes and repugnents) are requested to make their claims, sending their figures to the relevant delegate.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation and assistance.

Keep on pedalling and stay safe in these ultra-challenging times!

RP.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

Re: Fixed Wheel Claims
« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:27:54 am »

rerepugnents

If you feel the need to insult a group of fellow cyclists at least spell it correctly  >:(

rob

« Reply #2 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:36:21 am »

rerepugnents

If you feel the need to insult a group of fellow cyclists at least spell it correctly  >:(

I believe the first use of repugnant as a substitute for recumbent was in an Arrivee article written by Pete Gifford when he first swapped to a Greenspeed from his upright trike.   Far from being an insult to be honest but this is the internet so feel free to be offended.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:37:43 am »
As a recumbent rider myself in times past, it is an affectionate AUK term, same as when I ride a silly small-wheeled clown bike or fairy cycle (e.g. Moulton) or tandemists refer to half-bikes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Phixie

« Reply #4 on: 02 November, 2020, 12:55:57 pm »
Apologies for the typo - now corrected.

The message was intended to be jocular, not insulting.

Interestingly, in the dozen or so years I have been issuing this appeal, this is the first time anyone has objected to it, so you can draw your own conclusions.

Regards,

RP

At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:08:38 pm »
Looks like I'm in the minority then ::-)

As long as you're all happy with childish name calling that must make it ok, as a recumbent and velomobile rider for nearly twenty years it gets a bit wearing, everybody thinks they're being funny and original, they're not, the joke wore off a long time ago, now it's tedious, boring and really no need for it.

Don't forget that being offensive in jest is just as bad as being offensive to belittle, or hasn't equality, diversity and inclusion reached these parts?

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #6 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:13:03 pm »

As long as you're all happy with childish name calling that must make it ok, as a recumbent and velomobile rider for nearly twenty years it gets a bit wearing, everybody thinks they're being funny and original, they're not, the joke wore off a long time ago, now it's tedious, boring and really no need for it.

Don't forget that being offensive in jest is just as bad as being offensive to belittle, or hasn't equality, diversity and inclusion reached these parts?

Always annoyed irritated me also, just never mentioned it.

Edited as annoyed is not the right word

rob

« Reply #7 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:25:12 pm »
Been audaxing on fixed for over 10 years.   You'd be surprised what I get called.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2020, 02:40:17 pm »
Been a lorry driver for 30yrs, have been called a lot worse  ;D

Maybe was funny(ish) the 1st time I heard it years ago.
But like all stupid jokes when repeated ad-nauseam it just gets a :facepalm:
We all know that person like "David Brent" who thinks it's funny the 100th time  ::-)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 02 November, 2020, 03:04:01 pm »

One thing we have learnt is that this forum is entirely OK with certain sets of name calling... Unfortunately.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

rob

« Reply #10 on: 02 November, 2020, 03:47:32 pm »
The recumbent section of this very forum is full of references to upwrongs.   Is that offensive as well ?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 02 November, 2020, 03:48:38 pm »
The recumbent section of this very forum is full of references to upwrongs.   Is that offensive as well ?

I thought that was just autocarrot being weird...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #12 on: 02 November, 2020, 04:28:26 pm »

Are you offended? I would say it's not derogatory so not bad, but contining to use a word to describe something being ridden by a fellow Audax member and fellow cyclist as riding something that is "extremely distasteful; unacceptable" is not on, plain and simple.

Just because somebody referred to themselves as having "a repugnant" doesn't give license for it to be used ad nauseum.

I think it also goes to show the mindset of some that even when pointed out it's not nice they defend it and even correct the spelling rather than put the correct word and say "sorry old chap it won't happen again.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2020, 04:49:07 pm »
Meh
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #14 on: 02 November, 2020, 06:17:59 pm »
Thanks to Phixie for continuing to administer the FWC side of audax and for the reminder to submit details of rides and points accumulated this season. Pleased to have accumulated 45 FWC points and my 3rd fixed SR, will put the details together this evening and forward. 

rob

« Reply #15 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:05:44 pm »
Actually back to the OP as I genuinely CBA’d with the rest of this.   I did my SR on gears this year for the first time in 10+ years.

« Reply #16 on: 02 November, 2020, 09:39:32 pm »
I might have ridden one or two early-season 200s on fixed in 2019-20, but I can't remember. 
Just ridden a very early-season 200 on fixed for 2020-21. Might be the last for a while.

« Reply #17 on: 02 November, 2020, 10:00:36 pm »
Done the “entire” 2019/2020 season on recumbent. Will see what my points total is but no SR this year due to unusual GPS issues ending my 400. Sure a few more out there will have more points.

« Reply #18 on: 03 November, 2020, 11:36:17 am »
Actually back to the OP as I genuinely CBA’d with the rest of this.   

Don't be aggrieved, nobody asked for your input  :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 03 November, 2020, 11:40:13 am »
All my massive points total of 8 (achieved in January) were in a reclined manner, don't think I'll be submitting a claim this year, strange how heart problems can suddenly knock the stuffing out of performance and desire to ride.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
« Reply #20 on: 03 November, 2020, 01:51:24 pm »
Done the “entire” 2019/2020 season on recumbent. Will see what my points total is but no SR this year due to unusual GPS issues ending my 400. Sure a few more out there will have more points.

Think you are near the top this year with 17 (11perm) Phil, there is another rider that rides a recumbent who has 17 also (6 perm).
Not sure if he has done all rides laid back though and there may be others who come under the radar  :D

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #21 on: 05 November, 2020, 09:53:58 pm »
Been audaxing on fixed for over 10 years.   You'd be surprised what I get called.

I think my two seasons on a Brompton may trump that for banter ... the additional five years on fixed are just the icing on the caik  ;D

I managed 30 points on fixed this last season, with just one other 100km ride piloting a tandem, which was really good fun.  The gears haven't been out since ACME Grand whenever-so-long-ago.

Psst -- plus a fixed-SR, an Essex one too, no-less 8)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phixie

« Reply #22 on: 07 November, 2020, 11:40:39 am »
Nick,

Is admitting to being an Essex boy on a Brompton beyond brave?  :)

If you pm me with details of the events earning those points I'll be happy to add you to the points table and SFW list.  Chapeau for achieving that in a sub-ideal portion of the season.

Regards,
RP