Author Topic: Bench power supply  (Read 957 times)

Bench power supply
« on: 25 May, 2018, 08:19:17 am »
Am I been thick here., I can find loads of DC bench power supplies but no AC ones. I was looking for something cheap on eBay that would let me hook up AC motors in power tools and the like to see if they worked before attacking repairing the rest of the device. Do AC bench power supplies exist ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Bench power supply
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2018, 08:29:13 am »
Maybe I have been looking for the wrong thing. Is a variac what I actual need ?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2018, 04:51:53 pm »
Good question.  If you don't need to jibble the frequency a variac is probably the cheaper option.  If you do, the standard bodge appears to be a BFO audio amp and a suitable function generator.

« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2018, 07:21:54 pm »
Do you actually need a variable power supply? If the motor is able to turn, and is firmly enough attached so that it doesn't jump when turned on, you can just supply mains.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0458926/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Connectors-_-Mains_And_Iec_Connectors_And_Accessories%7CMains_Test_Blocks-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&matchtype=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsrGglryh2wIVTbftCh3M7wy3EAQYASABEgJatvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

An overcurrent circuit breaker and an earth leakage breaker can well be worth having.

Those would be a good idea if you have variac.

On a variac, make sure that you have an output fuse / circuit breaker as well as an input fuse. You can easily burn the brush and some windings if the output voltage is low even when the input current is below the rating.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...