Author Topic: Audax Dreams for the New Season  (Read 51540 times)

Re: Audax Dreams for the New Season
« Reply #225 on: 05 February, 2019, 07:45:44 am »

So 300 is a permanent - Le Tour des Neuf Cheval Blancs, because it starts at Alresford and so I can ride there from home

I did this ride with a pal in November. It is a fantastic route and one I'd like to do again in better weather with full daylight.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #226 on: 05 February, 2019, 07:59:09 am »
Hoping to complete ACP's randonneur5000 award within 12 months of my 1000km brevet in September.

need to add an arrow to the rides I have planned.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #227 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:10:42 am »
How did everyone get on and what are your hopes and dreams for 2019-20?

Got a place on LWL  :D so that should be my first 400. Aiming to keep doing at least some type of 100 ride per month, 200 in Feb/March and some sort of 300 in April as preparation.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #228 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:23:03 am »
Hoping to complete ACP's randonneur5000 award within 12 months of my 1000km brevet in September.

need to add an arrow to the rides I have planned.
Done
Borders of belgium september 2018
Pbp august 2019
Easter arrow and enough 200, 300s, 400s and a 600 to close it out.

Next year eyeing up a 1300 or 1400 and a super randonee (600km and 10,000m of climbing) to complete my ACP randonneur 10000

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #229 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:29:03 am »

Now both the Dutch and Belgian Calendars are out, I've gone through them all and made a wish list. Removing all those that clash with a race, removing all those that clash with the taper just before a race, removing those that clash with other rides on the same day, and I have a list of 21 rides between now and the end of 2019. For a total distance of 5700km.

Hopefully, this will complete my first RRtY, as well as my first SR series, with a side effect of a couple of other AUK awards into the bargain.

Of these I managed:

The RRtY. And a couple of the AUK awards (B3000/B4000). SR series fell by the way side.

Am waiting for the Belgian Calendar to make decisions for the next season.
J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #230 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:31:34 am »
2019 was the year I should have ridden PBP. New bike sorted, campsite, ferry all booked. A visit to the doctors in January saw all of that in tatters. The rest of the year has not been good either. Total loss of mojo, only one ride over 100 miles.

2020 is going to be the year when I decide whether I will ride or offer my services as a volunteer at LEL. I have a place on LWL for the forth time and I hope to make it onto the start line for the first time. I want to "Ride to Skeggy" again (because everybody does) as I really enjoyed that a couple of years back.

I guess if I recover my mojo and manage to complete a few of the rides I have in mind then 2020 will be a good year.

« Reply #231 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:32:42 am »
Recover and get riding again, then worry about anything longer and making plans.

« Reply #232 on: 01 October, 2019, 03:15:26 pm »
I’ll probably just keep things ticking over this year. Keep RRtY going (been on two this year with different start months), do an SR (done at least one each year since I joined in 2013, so three years to go for the ultra badge). Don’t know whether to do a 1000km+ event or do a non-Audax cycling holiday.

My goal for this year was to get the 10,000 award which, assuming I get the PBP points, I’ve got. That’s what I love about Audax; so many goals!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #233 on: 01 October, 2019, 06:16:23 pm »
Am aiming to complete a 13th consecutive SR series as a 'full-value' rider. Helpers rides and volunteering for the KWAC (Kingston Wheelers) series of rides.

Not motivated as yet to attend PBP, as it seems to be my 'bogey' ride. 3 attendances so far and only one completion - in 2011.
So may not aim for anything over 600km next year, but depends on how my fitness goes over the winter/spring.

It was 'unlucky 13th', as I got back too late on the Helpers Ride for KWAC WW 600km ride, and didn't get round the BBC London 600km in time either, so no SR this year, I'm planning on doing some fitness work this autumn/winter.
Too early to state plans for next season, but will certainly carry on helping at KWAC rides and doing helpers rides.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #234 on: 01 October, 2019, 06:43:55 pm »
How did everyone get on and what are your hopes and dreams for 2019-20?
My ambition for 2019 is the ACP Randonneur 10000 award. Which means riding:
  • PBP
  • another 1000km brevet (probably the Norwegian one I still have unfinished business with)
  • a Super Randonnée (probably one of Ötztal Rundfahrt, SR delle Dolomiti or Cambrian 6C)
I love coming to the UK for cycling and bagging some AAA points, but both will be limited in 2019 I think. Hopefully I can shoehorn The Border Raid from Newcastle in. Other 600s on my wish list are the Rando Imperator (Munich - Ferrara, rode this 2 years ago) and the first 600 starting from my hometown of Groningen a week later.
I did ride (and finish) PBP, The Border Raid, the Rando Imperator and got my revanche on the 1000km Kristiansand #1

Too exhausted after the Imperator to ride the 600 from Groningen and couldn't find the time and motivation to ride a Super Randonnée. So no ACP Randonneur 10000 award for me yet, although I do qualify for the 5000 once PBP gets homologated.

For 2020 my goals are to torpedo my running RRtY to force a break from audax and get back the joy in cycling instead the feeling of compulsion it had become; I want to do a long and leisurely cycling/camping trip again (Cape North is still on the bucket list), and maybe just the one SR series. But then I read about the raid version of the Wild Atlantic Way Audax and well, it seems blood is thicker than water  :-\

We'll see. Que sera, sera!

« Reply #235 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:17:33 am »
I missed my main goal which was an SR series but did manage my first 400 (Brevet Cymru) plus three 300's, ten 200's and three 100's.

Also completed RRTY last October and kept up the rides for my second award which I finished on Saturday.

Even though I missed my main goal I had my best audax season to date and met some great people so pretty content. SR is again my goal for the 2020 season. Not sure about RRTY as I am becoming interested in gravel riding and may do some of those events instead of audax (unless the wife allows me to do both!).

Thanks to all the organisers, helpers and riders for the rides I participated in during the season.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #236 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:20:03 am »
Had a real mixed season and missed and failed my big aim of Inverness 1200 by a distance and mentally not strong enough ....

Lessons have to be learnt for next year for my main aim of RATN - not strictly an Audax of course but damn close ! Physically not an issue but in my head !

S2L

« Reply #237 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:24:43 am »
It went downhill when I gave up on the AAA SR, but then I managed to harvest something... with a few DIY I racked up 25 AAA points and a badge... glass half full and all that  :thumbsup:

« Reply #238 on: 14 October, 2019, 04:08:01 pm »
Currently 7 months into a RRtY so I'd like to finish that and complete an SR because I missed that last season. I fancy doing a 1k km ride, possibly the one from Darlo but we'll see.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #239 on: 14 October, 2019, 07:05:55 pm »
2019 targets are a 1000 UAF Paris-Tourmalet with a SR600 the following weekend. Tandem PBP Randonneur of course, with (hopefully) interesting qualifiers, though logistics can become a bit challenging. Possibly back-to-back UAF 200s and random other brevets that catch the eye. Ideally complete RRtY9 along the way.

Paris-Tourmalet and tandem PBP - yes
Ninth RRtY - yes
Back-to-back UAF 200s - yes
SR600 - no. Not even entered. On the list again for next year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #240 on: 14 October, 2019, 11:52:35 pm »
This season I hope to qualify for and complete the PBP, probably from an 84 hour start as it suited me well last time. I also aim to keep three RRtYs going until the PBP, but then cut back to two. I've entered two of each PBP qualifying distance, except three 600s. I am generally planning to ride flatter events this season, but will probably be attracted to some ultra-hilly rides, such as CrazyEnglishTriathlete's Cambrian 6C Super Randonnee. Something I haven't done for many years is proper training, and this season would be a good time to restart!

I never did get round to any proper training but kept my three RRTYs going and rode three PBP qualifying SR series so ended up fitter at 55 than I’ve been for a long time. I unexpectedly did personal bests for 200km twice, the Mersey 24 and the PBP.

So far this season I’ve just done one DIY 200km but I plan to keep up three RRTYs for now. The only rides I’ve already entered for 2020 are the Highland Fling and LLEL 1000s. Otherwise my plans are quite fluid.

« Reply #241 on: 15 October, 2019, 11:42:15 am »
2019 has been an 'interesting' year.  I rode my VoR200 in Jan, then a Rigby 200 on fixed in Feb.  My knee was playing up on the Mad March 200, then it stopped me completing a Rigby 300. 

Nigel the Physio did something so that I was okay for 450k on an Easter Arrow (the first one I've ridden and not 'won'), followed by a 300, a couple of 600s and my 400. 

Paris-Brest entered and looking good for my 6th.

Visiting a friend, we were walking to the pub and I slipped and fell awkwardly.  A visit the following morning to Minor Injuries in Brecon produced a shock diagnosis of a broken ankle. I couldn't drive with the Big Boot they'd fitted me with, so friend drove me home to Devon.  A couple of weeks later, at the Fracture Clinic in Exeter, they said it was very minor and no plaster or support required.  Back to Nigel; five weeks to PBP.

Nigel did his best, got me cycling.  It was a long shot, but I decided to go over anyway and start.  It had to be better than moping at home.

I got as far as Loudeac.  The legs weren't working normally, trying to compensate for the ankle, everything hurt, and I was going at ever decreasing speed.

I was rescued by another dear friend who ferried me back to Rambouillet.  In compensation, the company was good, as was the food.

Nigel the Physio is still working on me.  I've managed a couple of hilly 200s.  So, see what the new season brings.

« Reply #242 on: 15 October, 2019, 05:18:28 pm »
Managed the SR (an Essex one no less). Didn't quite keep to RRtY schedule but I've got an attempt on from March. Happy with my 2019 performance, gonna have a go at a 10k next.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #243 on: 16 December, 2019, 01:40:41 pm »
Audax Club Parisien has updated its website with next year's worldwide BRM calendar.
http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/323%20-%20Schedule%20of%20BRM%20Worldwide.html

Time to pick something interesting to ride in other places.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #244 on: 16 December, 2019, 04:16:06 pm »
I'm going to do a Big Ride this year. So far my biggest is a 600, I want to really knock it out the park in the next year's season.

This is the calendar so far: only one booked for sure. I'm weighing up between Mille Pennines and London - JOG. MP definitely strikes me as the gnarlier ride and LOJOG has the advantage of starting from (basically) home.

I definitely don't rule out going abroad for one too. Either back to Belgium (this time with a down jacket and more space for riz tart...), Netherlands, or perhaps France. I wouldn't rule out Ireland.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Phil W

« Reply #245 on: 16 December, 2019, 04:39:27 pm »
I'm going to do a Big Ride this year. So far my biggest is a 600, I want to really knock it out the park in the next year's season.

This is the calendar so far: only one booked for sure. I'm weighing up between Mille Pennines and London - JOG. MP definitely strikes me as the gnarlier ride and LOJOG has the advantage of starting from (basically) home.

I definitely don't rule out going abroad for one too. Either back to Belgium (this time with a down jacket and more space for riz tart...), Netherlands, or perhaps France. I wouldn't rule out Ireland.

Do you mean LOLE or are you going to continue from LE to JOG?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #246 on: 16 December, 2019, 04:59:40 pm »
Er yes that
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #247 on: 16 December, 2019, 07:17:15 pm »
Aiming for my first 400 in the form of London-Wales-London (got a place!);
Think a 300 beforehand would be prudent and fun;
And hope to do some rides outside London and the SE - Brum 200 was great fun last year.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #248 on: 17 December, 2019, 12:46:51 pm »
I've just seen there is a super randonee on the sea to sky highway in British Columbia. Such a great road.

Easy navigation. Incredible scenery, no language problems no issues finding food, drink and shelter.

bairn again

« Reply #249 on: 17 December, 2019, 05:07:48 pm »
Looking to do a bare min SR this season (16th consecutive if so) and a break from organising for a while.

Illness put me out of PBP (a DNF at Villaines on the way out) which with the benefit of hindsight I should have seen coming but chose to ignore.

Going to make more time for tandem riding, shorter faster rides and club tts come summer.