Author Topic: [HAMR] New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1  (Read 165296 times)

Re: New challenger - Bruce Berkeley AKA Cycle_dr 1
« Reply #925 on: 08 February, 2016, 08:56:54 am »
I've just brought https://goo.gl/RBHtiS bang up to date again, but am hearing elsewhere (although I can't find a source for it yet) that Bruce has decided to knock it on it's head.

If true, I can't say that I'm shocked.

« Reply #926 on: 08 February, 2016, 09:03:20 am »
Does anybody know what's going on?  mrcharly: does your friend have any news about Bruce's knee?
He's not my friend, he's Bruce's friend.

No news of abandonment on facebook, twitter or strava.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #927 on: 08 February, 2016, 04:40:58 pm »
I can't work out if Bruce is deluding himself with his stated belief that he has Guinness ratification of his past and current rides, or whether he has simply backed himself into a corner and finds it difficult to admit that he needs to take a different approach to have any credible recognition of a future record.

I think most wish him well. I know we did. Although, from our camp and experience, one red flag after another kept popping up. We all know the definition of insanity. The tactics and strategy of this challenge calls for constant change and to listen.
The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #928 on: 08 February, 2016, 04:55:39 pm »
Bruce seems to have had bad luck with the knee issue causing a DNF before, IIRC. While I find his attitude to the record ratifying authorities perplexing, I don't wish the man ill and I'm sad for him that things aren't now going so well. I hope that if he indeed abandons he can get the knee problems sorted out permanently, and in the meantime take note of the criticism and get the ride sorted out properly in all respects before having another go. He's obviously a strong competitor, and deserves to have a proper go at this.

hillbilly

« Reply #929 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:00:24 am »
Adelaide looks like a nice part of the world to cycle in, judging by some of the photos he is posting to his Strava feed.

That said, I don't quite understand why someone with knee niggles would choose to do several rides with hills in them. Yes it mixes things up, but they don't quite class as recovery rides in my book (despite the shorter distance).

It's a strange vibe on his Strava feed. I can't tell whether he has packed or not.

« Reply #930 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:54:47 am »
Well, if he hasn't jacked it in, he is going is funny way about trying to break the record. It is difficult to judge people just from social  media but he comes across as far too indisciplined and too much of a maverick to give this a proper go. Despite being a very strong rider.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #931 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:03:54 am »
It is a great shame that his attempt appears to be over.  I originally really liked him, but frankly lost interest and respect for him with all the toys out of the pram stuff. But if he wanted to ride and become the strava world champion or whatever he was trying to do, then good on him, so long as he inspired others. 

Good luck Bruce, whatever you choose to do.  Get those knees sorted!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #932 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:30:03 am »
I think he has packed. threads on facebook discussing his rides and progress have been deleted.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #933 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:40:33 am »
It is a shame for anyone to give up, but each strong rider that tries and fails increases the respect I have for those who did go the whole year for a record attempt and highlights the difficulty of the HAMR and the astonishing achievement of riding more than 50,000 miles in a year, let alone getting close to Kurt's record.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #934 on: 09 February, 2016, 12:46:19 pm »
quoting an eddington number in furlongs is the most interesting thing I read on this thread at this visit, thanks CET  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #935 on: 09 February, 2016, 01:01:53 pm »
He remains an excellent rider, whatever else.  And I think it is a great shame if his attempt has been terminated (I won't say failed), but it did seem to be heading that way for a while.
Getting there...

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #936 on: 09 February, 2016, 02:19:39 pm »
He remains an excellent rider, whatever else.  And I think it is a great shame if his attempt has been terminated (I won't say failed), but it did seem to be heading that way for a while.

+1
Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #937 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:03:22 pm »
Do his Strava rides have HR or power data?

red marley

« Reply #938 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:14:14 pm »
Power.

« Reply #939 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:33:08 pm »
Pacing himself was a big part of Kurt's strategy. He didn't push himself. He could ride faster if he wanted to, but getting burned out and the risk of injury wasn't worth it to get up and do it again. That's why he rides in the big rings with a slow cadence. He stands up and climbs slowly up hills in the same gear. Small but significant when it comes to saving energy. Most who ride with him race up hills and quickly exhaust themselves until they get it.
How can we not be in awe of anyone who tries to go for the record? It takes more than being a strong rider. Seems we're all hooked, though.
The best thing I ever did was pick you as my crew. The best thing I ever did was pick you as my rider.

« Reply #940 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:53:24 pm »
The mental endurance is what I find most remarkable.  That's what marks out the record-breaker for me.

« Reply #941 on: 09 February, 2016, 08:56:35 pm »
"Kurt's the only one I know who can stay with himself in his head that long." ~ a friend named Joe

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #942 on: 09 February, 2016, 09:02:03 pm »
Kurt's pacing was excellent
Getting there...

« Reply #943 on: 10 February, 2016, 11:18:47 am »
There are some real nobbish comments appearing on Bruce's strava page. :facepalm:

Bruce himself is still silent
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LMT

« Reply #944 on: 10 February, 2016, 01:03:11 pm »
There are some real nobbish comments appearing on Bruce's strava page. :facepalm:

Indeed, whilst I have enjoyed some of Durianriders videos on youtube about diet and cycling. His unfounded comments regarding Kurt taking steroids and cheating by drafting and riding a recumbent is a new level of stupidity.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #945 on: 10 February, 2016, 01:04:43 pm »
That's really crass.  And stupid.
Getting there...

« Reply #946 on: 10 February, 2016, 01:06:42 pm »

Indeed, whilst I have enjoyed some of Durianriders videos on youtube about diet and cycling. His unfounded comments regarding Kurt taking steroids and cheating by drafting and riding a recumbent is a new level of stupidity.

my bold

Which just goes to prove that no matter how unlikely all things are possible

« Reply #947 on: 10 February, 2016, 02:04:10 pm »
That's really crass.  And stupid.

his income is seemingly generated from YouTube, he needs content and clicks, a lot of his and Freelees stuff is essentially clickbait, and very successful they are to,

theres a lot of really good info on his pages (CTFU Cycling being the best of his Channels) if you manage to ignore all the other stuff

« Reply #948 on: 10 February, 2016, 02:20:45 pm »
Just to set the record straight: Kurt does not and never has used steroids. He is naturally a big person (and getting bigger now that he is not riding much, lol).

Anyone who says he does has no honest credibility in such a remark and is fooling his own ego - pitiful.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #949 on: 10 February, 2016, 02:27:12 pm »
I imagine that he finds the suggestion offensive.
Getting there...