Author Topic: VM superhub with separate router?  (Read 8216 times)

Re: VM superhub with separate router?
« Reply #25 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:04:26 pm »
This is the official VM advice on the matter:

When active, Modem Mode disables the wireless and routing functions of your Super Hub so you can use your own wireless router. For more information please visit http://www.virginmedia.com/help.
Active Ports & Connections

When in Modem Mode, only one Ethernet port will be active on your Super Hub, so when using your own router make sure it's connected to the active port.. Alternatively, connect a computer or games console directly to this port. When you are in Modem Mode, to access the Main Menu type 192.168.100.1 in your internet browser.

This is as I thought and how I configured things.  Only when the Superhub had rebooted from the switch to modem mode no connection could be made with the (supposedly active) ethernet port, either to the new router or directly to the desktop Mac (which couldn't even log into the Superhub on 192.169.100.1 to run diagnostics).
The sound of one pannier flapping

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:13:43 pm »
Was the new router configured to do routing?  And was its WAN port appropriately configured (presumably to be a DHCP client, or something)?

« Reply #27 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:28:20 pm »
Was the new router configured to do routing?  And was its WAN port appropriately configured (presumably to be a DHCP client, or something)?

Never got to the point where I could access any settings on the new router, Kim.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:30:28 pm »

Never got to the point where I could access any settings on the new router, Kim.

Well you need to do that first, obviously.

« Reply #29 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:38:23 pm »
I read what happened as the Superhub died when it went into Modem mode. (note: it is supposed to re-boot to enter that mode)

You should still be able to get to your new router to see what is happening, you should have been able to see it and set it up even if it couldn't get to the outside world

« Reply #30 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:45:55 pm »
I read what happened as the Superhub died when it went into Modem mode. (note: it is supposed to re-boot to enter that mode)

Yes, that's what happened.  After the reboot (which happens automatically) no connection from the supposedly active ethernet port.

You should still be able to get to your new router to see what is happening, you should have been able to see it and set it up even if it couldn't get to the outside world

The browser(s) on my ethernet-cabled Mac Pro weren't able to connect to 192.168.0.1 (supposedly the correct new address for the router - Superhub address should have been 192.168.100.1 which I couldn't connect to either).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #31 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:49:49 pm »

The browser(s) on my ethernet-cabled Mac Pro weren't able to connect to 192.168.0.1 (supposedly the correct new address for the router

Forget about the Superhub and solve this problem first.  If you can't reach the router, you're not going to be able to reach whatever's beyond it.

(It may be as simple as rebooting the Mac so it re-DHCPs its network configuration.)

« Reply #32 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:53:28 pm »
....and you can do this without connecting it to your network.

Start by doing a factory reset as page 62 https://static.tp-link.com/Archer_C2(EU)_V3_UG_1475912206443h.pdf

Then, without connecting anything to your network, try to get to the configuration screen.

« Reply #33 on: 12 January, 2019, 07:54:46 pm »
OK.  Thanks both - much appreciated.  Will have another go later.  Had enough for today  ;)

« Reply #34 on: 12 January, 2019, 08:02:54 pm »
when you get round to it, remember the SH takes ages to come up!

« Reply #35 on: 12 January, 2019, 08:04:18 pm »
when you get round to it, remember the SH takes ages to come up!

Indeed!  One of the (many) reasons I begrudge having to reboot it so often. ;)

Afasoas

« Reply #36 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:59:18 am »
I've run a Superhub 2 in modem mode for eons.

And just 3 weeks ago, because I was setting up monitoring on my mothers home network so that I can be alerted when there's a problem (instead of waiting until my next visit, at which point she casually drops into the conversation X isn't working), I wanted to put her network into an IP range I don't use anywhere else.

Steps:
1) Buy a TP-LINK Archer of some description, not dissimilar to yours
2) Plug the TP-LINK Archer into a power supply
3) Connect my laptop to the TP-LINK Archer via ethernet (wiFi disabled) and configure the SSID/password/IP range
4) Unplug my laptop from the TP-LINK Archer and plug it into the Superhub 3
5) Connect to the web interface on the Superhub 3 and put it into modem mode
6) Unplug the laptop from the Superhub 3
7) Plug the WAN port on the TP-LINK Archer into the right port (only one of them works) on the Superhub3
9) Enable WiFi on the laptop, choose the new SSID and type in the password - check connectivity

It just worksTM

I see that you have 24 Wi-Fi clients. This is at the top end of what I've seen consumer grade access points do. I suspect this might have been a factor in your Superhub WiFi being problematic - at least pop WiFi Analyser onto your phone and ensure you are using Wi-Fi channels with least contention with other Wi-Fi networks. If possible, evenly distribute your devices between 2.4 and 5Ghz.

« Reply #37 on: 13 January, 2019, 09:55:08 am »
Thanks Afasoas - that's all really useful advice and I'll give it a go at some point when I have time.  I'd be interested on your view on the relative merits of the superhub 2 vs 3.  I've read some very negative reviews of the 3, to the point where I'm reluctant to move over to the one that's being sent to me next week.

Regarding spreading devices evenly between 5 & 2.4Ghz networks - unfortunately the vast majority of them only operate on 2.4Ghz.  In fact I can only think of 2 which will work on 5Ghz (MacBook Pro and Samsung S8).

Afasoas

« Reply #38 on: 13 January, 2019, 07:55:24 pm »
There are some issues with the SH3's Intel Puma chipset which cause latency - I believe there has been a firmware upgrade to partially address the issue.
If no one in your household is gaming, then it's probably not a concern.

The SH3 of course will allow in future for higher up/download speeds.

The general advice on that matter is keep the SH2 for gaming etc.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:24:51 pm »
I have a vague memory that once it is in modem mode, only port 4 works, and so thats where you need to connect the new router.  Having said that I can't find anything on the Virgin web site to back it up.

I've run my SH2ac with a couple of different routers, currently with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X, and the cable from the SH2ac is in the lowest ethernet socket (1 at the top I think, 4 at the bottom).

« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:25:48 pm »
I have a vague memory that once it is in modem mode, only port 4 works, and so thats where you need to connect the new router.  Having said that I can't find anything on the Virgin web site to back it up.

I've run my SH2ac with a couple of different routers, currently with a Ubiquiti Edgerouter-X, and the cable from the SH2ac is in the lowest ethernet socket (1 at the top I think, 4 at the bottom).

Yes, that's the one I've tried using.  It flashes blue when a connection is made to indicate it's (theoretically  ::-)) active.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #41 on: 14 January, 2019, 04:25:38 pm »
SH3 is crap, VM sent me two to cure the no wireless problem.  Sorted by forcing the router into modem mode and tweaking the line settings.

Line settings are on line to try.

Afasoas

« Reply #42 on: 15 January, 2019, 12:45:51 am »

Yes, that's the one I've tried using.  It flashes blue when a connection is made to indicate it's (theoretically  ::-)) active.

It's the port closest to the DOCSIS (Coax) connection I believe ...

« Reply #43 on: 16 April, 2019, 01:47:12 pm »
I've run a Superhub 2 in modem mode for eons.

And just 3 weeks ago, because I was setting up monitoring on my mothers home network so that I can be alerted when there's a problem (instead of waiting until my next visit, at which point she casually drops into the conversation X isn't working), I wanted to put her network into an IP range I don't use anywhere else.

Steps:
1) Buy a TP-LINK Archer of some description, not dissimilar to yours
2) Plug the TP-LINK Archer into a power supply
3) Connect my laptop to the TP-LINK Archer via ethernet (wiFi disabled) and configure the SSID/password/IP range
4) Unplug my laptop from the TP-LINK Archer and plug it into the Superhub 3
5) Connect to the web interface on the Superhub 3 and put it into modem mode
6) Unplug the laptop from the Superhub 3
7) Plug the WAN port on the TP-LINK Archer into the right port (only one of them works) on the Superhub3
9) Enable WiFi on the laptop, choose the new SSID and type in the password - check connectivity

It just worksTM

Sorry to dredge this up again but I can't get this working. 

Plugged the TP-Link into the laptop via ethernet and turned wi-fi off but can't connect to the router using 192.168.0.1 - just says "you are not connected to the internet".

I'm on a MacBook (Safari).  Fiddled about with the ethernet settings in the "Network" system settings but nothing seems to work. 

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #44 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:43:36 am »
So you have the macbook plugged into the TP-Link through one of the yellow ports?  And the WiFi on the macbook is off.

Without plugging the TP-Link in to the Superhub, can you connect to the TP-Link from the macbook (http://192.168.0.1)?  Or http://tplinklogin.net

If you can't then most likely either 1) your ethernet settings on the macbook are wrong, or 2) the TP-Link is broken (you did do the factory reset described above?) or 3) the ethernet cable is damaged.

« Reply #45 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:59:41 am »
Working after a factory reset  ::-)

Thanks Dave!  :D

« Reply #46 on: 18 April, 2019, 07:22:55 pm »
Followed Afasoas' instructions and everything working well.  SH3 in modem mode and TP-Link router set up with settings duplicated from SH2.  All wifi devices seem to have connected to the new system seamlessly.

Now hoping for more stable speeds and fewer enforced modem reboots.