Author Topic: Venceremos ... only, with a bit of help  (Read 649 times)

Venceremos ... only, with a bit of help
« on: 27 February, 2024, 06:27:11 pm »
I've been having issues with my PC, and reckoned that a new motherboard and CPU was in order.

AMD seemed like best value, I decided that latest generation didn't have too much a price premium so was a Good Thing. So, a Ryzen 8000, DDR5. I liked the look of an Asus motherboard, albeit for gaming, that fit the spec. I needed to change the CPU, too, now, as it was just 450W. Case is decent, so I decided to keep.

First mistake, I trusted Amazon "Frequently bought together" and I ended up with an AM4 CPU to fit into the AM5 motherboard, only realising when I went to drop it in. "That don' fit there" I perspicaciously thought to myself . At least Amazon make that bit easy.

Anyways up, I get all the bits installed and.... nothing. No POST, no beeps (I had to wrangle a speaker to check for beeps). Double check everything. Reinstall the old board, reinstall again and check. (obv I don't have anything compatible to ID what is wrong). Get very very very sad and unhappy. Sleep on it.

Realise that I need a repair shop, troll on down and leave it. They found the problem, actually by luck more than design. The picture in the manual fooled me. I had installed the RAM in slots A1 and B1 (tried A1 only) as I thought that was what was shown. In teeny tiny writing on the board, and by carful examination of where the arrow is pointing, you need to use slots A2 and B2 first. Of course you do  :facepalm: ::-)

We have working PC. Finally.

I will be selling off some bits
Motherboard/CPU  - Intel i5 4 core
RAM - 32GB decent DD3
Video Card - MSI GeForce GT 730 N730K-2GD3H/LPV1 Gaming Graphics Card - 2GB DDR3, 902 MHz, PCI Express 2.0, 64-bit, DL-DVI-D/HDMI/D-SUB
PSU - Corsair 450W

MSI GeForce GT 730 N730K-2GD3H/LPV1 Gaming Graphics Card - 2GB DDR3, 902 MHz, PCI Express 2.0, 64-bit, DL-DVI-D/HDMI/D-SUB

Re: Venceremos ... only, with a bit of help
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2024, 04:39:40 pm »
I've been having issues with my PC, and reckoned that a new motherboard and CPU was in order.

I will be selling off some bits
Motherboard/CPU  - Intel i5 4 core
. ???

Re: Venceremos ... only, with a bit of help
« Reply #2 on: 28 February, 2024, 07:00:04 pm »
Are you......

- Commenting on the Trigger's broom nature of my approach? That's jus' the way it is
- Commenting that I'm hoping to sell a board that I wasn't happy with? Well, the issue was Windows and SATA, Ubuntu ran just fine, but windoze was a right pain so ultimately like to be a driver thingy rather than partial hardware failure and - given the board doesn't have a TPM - I thought the time had come to move on, if someone was interested the RAM is decent, the CPU isn't worth much and I'd throw the M/B in for free.
- Asking about the spec? I think it was 4 x 3.5Ghz, performed OK with decent amount of RAM, exact spec could be found by taking the fan off. Board is a Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3. Ram is Kingston and Patriot