Author Topic: A day out birdwatching in Northumberland  (Read 2941 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
A day out birdwatching in Northumberland
« on: 17 April, 2017, 09:21:50 pm »
Mcshroom and I met on the platform at Alnmouth Station for a ride up to Seahouses.  It was a perfect sunny Bank Holiday Monday.  The plan was to catch our booked sightseeing boat and to go puffin-spotting on Inner Farne.

We set off down the hill towards our route, across the roundabout, over the funky bridge with the white sides, and then mcshroom pulled over.

His chainstay had snapped.

The end.
Milk please, no sugar.

Re: A day out birdwatching in Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2017, 09:46:58 pm »
I'm not laughing.   I had to curtail a ride on Friday due to a broken saddle tension bolt.   Riding back 10 miles mainly out of the saddle is great for thigh development.

Better luck next time.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2017, 09:58:07 pm »
 :o Which bike was this? Guess it's new frame time for mcshroom.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2017, 10:27:21 pm »
Hard luck you two. Given his last serious off, at least Marcus didn't  hurt himself this time, so all is well really apart from the inconvenience and the passing of a frame. I have fond memories of fish and chips at Seahouses (Allegedly the Hairy Bikers favourite cafe)  and a trip to the islands sounds like good fun,  so you should certainly have another go at getting over there.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2017, 11:50:34 pm »
Bugger !
Rust never sleeps

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2017, 12:00:48 am »
To be fair we still caught the boat and went to Inner Farne,  and it didn't cause an 'off'.

It's just the welded repair on my old Raleigh unfortunately didn't work so the bikes ended up on the car roof instead of us getting to ride in what was some unexpectedly lovely weather.

I have now broken the drive side chain stay drop out 3 times, on two different bikes!? I obviously don't know my own strength, or something ???

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2017, 06:39:51 am »
A similar history to me. Time for a custom frame selected with a nod to durability of previous failure points?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...