Author Topic: T+1 is a Wild Country Zephyros 3 Living Tent  (Read 3226 times)

Speshact

• Charlie
T+1 is a Wild Country Zephyros 3 Living Tent
« on: 31 July, 2018, 09:33:25 pm »
Mrs Speshact, after our third camping trip of more than a week this year, has demanded a taller tent if we're going to be doing similar in future years. Given that we don't have a car and use public transport then walk or cycle to campsites, something reasonably compact and lightweight was in order.

The Zephyros 3  https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/zephyros-3-living-tent-/ looked tempting, and finding it for sale at £200 reduced from £340 has resulted in an impulse purchase.

I'll let you know how we get on with it in due course. I've just got to talk Mrs Speshact into another few days camping THIS year now...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: T+1 is a Wild Country Zephyros 3 Living Tent
« Reply #1 on: 01 August, 2018, 09:49:00 am »
It is very similar to the tent I took to Avignon last year.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2018, 10:59:54 am »
Seemingly it was TN attempt to make a cheaper and stronger version of Wowbagger's Laser Space.

Due to age related problems and PMR I wanted a tent I could stand up in most of the time, so I tried out one of these.  I borrowed one from a trade contact and used it on a short tour of Wales, found it okay but nothing better. After the second night I had decided it wasn't for me, can't really put my finger on why though. Two cycle-campers on the site came to have a look at it and thought it was good.

As some of you know I eventually settled on the Vango Galaxy 200, as a tunnel tent although slightly heavier, it is more my kind of tent.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2018, 11:27:51 am »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37171.msg2304502#msg2304502

refers - I think I saw one last month.

The Laser Space 2 is fantastic, in my mind, because of the fact I can stand up in it, at over 6', plus, and this is the real benefit, it is stupidly light. I'm not sure that a heavier version would excite me that much.

If you like guy strings, it has loads. Very loads  :thumbsup: You only need 4 in still weather, the others are there for wind.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 01 August, 2018, 12:17:05 pm »
Jan and I pitched Wowbagger's Laser Space on not-particularly-even sloping ground, and I concluded that it was likely to be type 2 fun if you had to do it in horizontal rain.

Which isn't to say that I don't appreciate the importance of a tent you can stand up in.  Barakta's a non-ALC-compliant car camper for this reason.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 01 August, 2018, 12:23:08 pm »
They are easier to pitch in (some) wind, as you make the arch, then peg one guy on the windward side, with the arch 90 degrees to the wind, and it stands up with one guy pegged.

Time is taken up
- making the arch and threading it
- pegging out the hundred of pegs
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 02 August, 2018, 10:09:26 pm »
We used the Lazer Space for our Germany/Netherlands tour last summer, kindly loaned to us at short notice when Mrs B developed a bad back and wasn't sure about having 3 weeks in the Wild Country Hoolie 2.

It is a fabulous tent, I'd highly recommend it, in fact I'm hoping to persuade our pal to sell us the one we borrowed ;)   

P.S.  Jadded is right about the guys.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #7 on: 02 August, 2018, 11:17:26 pm »
It's arrived, but now we need a bigger garden than we have to put it up in for a trial run! Or to go for a camping trip (obvs)

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #8 on: 25 August, 2018, 08:26:48 pm »
Had a couple of excellent nights using the tent near Diss earlier this week. Straightforward to pitch alone (though check where the front door is facing first), and I found it perfectly manageable to cycle with it dumped in a (large) pannier. Ventilation seems adequate. Condensation in the fly sheet if the zips are shut which isn't a problem but means that drying time/location has to be considered. I found no obvious downside at the moment.