Author Topic: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous  (Read 31753 times)

Phil W

Re: The AAAnfractuous & The Less Anfractuous
« Reply #75 on: 07 October, 2013, 12:08:16 pm »
What nice jerseys you Hackney boys have got:

I thought Jordan and the boys were out on a stag do...

« Reply #76 on: 07 October, 2013, 01:41:25 pm »
Thanks for organising  this Paul. I did the Nycto - my first ever 100. I had to be back in town by 6 and didnt fancy my chances on any of the 200 rides. I was foolish in assuming I'd get round this in no time as its 'just' a 100 - thought it would be just like a 60 mile training ride - but I was so wrong! My legs yesterday felt like I'd done at least twice that. Seldom has a pint of beer tasted better or than the one I had on Saturday evening.

« Reply #77 on: 07 October, 2013, 06:22:59 pm »

The one on the left is Jeremy. We rode together quite a bit on The Beast from the East 600, which he rode on a similar bike. He also completed PBP.

And it was Ginger Beer I was drinking, while eating my bacon rolls. Not sure I was taking it that easy. The mountain bike is a bit slow but the rough descents were good fun.
No Jack Daniels on this ride. It was only a 200.  :(
I did have a snooze in a field on the way home because I was getting a bit dozy. I managed 206 miles alltogether, went to bed, then set off for a very slow 70 mile ride with another bunch.

hillbilly

« Reply #78 on: 14 October, 2013, 09:28:02 pm »
Rather humbly, I was a complete failure on this ride.  I would post my gpx track, but it extended from the front of the community centre to before the main road as you leave the hall.  It has been deleted as an aberation in any case.  I reckon I covered 20 metres, at a stretch.  The first ride I could perhaps write a report on pedal stroke by pedal stroke and still not have enough to fill a paragraph.

A ride in Wales in mid-September (and a laziness on my part that meant I didn't strip the bike down after the ride, but instead rode another few events) completely disintegrated my front chainring, but had buggered the chain at the same time.  These cancelled each other out until I changed the chain the night before Paul's ride.  Cue absolutely no catch in the drivetrain.  Reading about some of the proper mechanicals experienced and overcome on the ride, I should be ashamed.  But actually I'm rather pleased I didn't flog myself round the course on the big ring (which was a possibility, as it was just about holding).  It made me realise that, in fact, I was over the 2013 season and all the faux competitive shite that goes with chasing chunky AAA and distance point targets. 

It also helped me identify (on sorting out the mechanical) that my lowest gear wasn't 34/28 as I had thought all through the 2013 season.  It was 34/26.  So I've wimped up the ratio to what I thought it was, with a new cassette, in the hope that I won't get so cream crackered on climbs.  Silver linings and all that.

« Reply #79 on: 19 October, 2013, 05:22:00 pm »
You rode all those AAA points on 34/26 and your knees lived to tell the tale??

I'll keep my super wimpy 28/28 thanks :p

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
The AAAnfractuous, The Less Anfractuous & Nyctiophobic, 4th Oct Chalfont
« Reply #80 on: 19 August, 2014, 12:22:37 am »
Hello Boys and Girls, we're back! Yes its the AAAnfractuous, Less Anfractuous and Nyctophobic Triple Bill!

Click the map for more info...

« Reply #81 on: 19 August, 2014, 10:19:42 am »
I cant believe its been 5-years since I last rode this event, so planning on doing (The Less Anfractuous) again this year.  Just booked accommodation at Beaconsfield Travelodge, so will be entering soon.

« Reply #82 on: 19 August, 2014, 08:26:04 pm »
There's one to look forward to :thumbsup:

I've always done the Nyctophobic so far. Colstrope Lane beat me last time. Revenge match due...

Martin

« Reply #83 on: 19 August, 2014, 09:57:21 pm »
AAAnfractuous for me  :)

« Reply #84 on: 21 August, 2014, 05:13:00 pm »
After enjoying the Less Anfractuous last year, have signed up for the AAAnfractuous this time  ;D
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

« Reply #85 on: 21 August, 2014, 06:29:08 pm »
I'm in for the AAA ride. Looking forward to it again.  First AAA ride since the Welsh 1000 km ride

Joolz  :)

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #86 on: 21 August, 2014, 07:29:17 pm »
Unless anything unforeseeable happens will do the AAA version just like last year.
Would be a shame not to!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #87 on: 21 August, 2014, 07:39:48 pm »
For my sins, I will route-check the ride - I look forward to my annual appointment with Colstrope Lane......

This ride will always hold a special place in my heart - it was my first ever 200 and when I first heard mutterings about this ride in France (1200km! On a bike!  These people really are insane!  I'm not doing one of these Audax things again).

I suspect I may be present on the day at some point pouring tea or whatever. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #88 on: 21 August, 2014, 08:52:09 pm »
AAAnfractuous for me ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #89 on: 21 September, 2014, 07:39:04 pm »
Route check done on a very lovely day - about 270km on the clock with out and back. 

I am really disappointed to let everyone know that all those nasty little hills are still bloody there!

I hope you all have gentle weather in a couple of weeks - pretty perfect day today apart from a bit of nagging wind. 

I won't even be there to pour tea/make toasties/throw around abuse as we're going away that weekend now.  But I am sure you'll still have fun!

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #90 on: 21 September, 2014, 09:23:14 pm »
Sadly at work on that Saturday  :(
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #91 on: 22 September, 2014, 01:31:00 pm »
Last time I tried Colstrop I couldn't get my cleats out so ended up riding down some blokes' drive about half way up.  He wasn't very happy. 

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #92 on: 26 September, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »
Entered the AAA. Fantastic ride, though a bit hard - all the hills packed into the last 50k are evil.

« Reply #93 on: 30 September, 2014, 07:58:38 am »
Belatedly got round to entering the Nyctophobic. Sorry Paul!

simonp

« Reply #94 on: 02 October, 2014, 11:34:30 am »
I’m looking doubtful for this after spraining my foot playing football last night. I’ll leave it until tomorrow to decide as it may improve but I don’t think a hilly 200k will be what it needs.

« Reply #95 on: 02 October, 2014, 01:42:44 pm »
Just double checking this is 8am start? 

That's what it says on the Audax page, but just talking to a friend that did it last year - he tells me it started at 7:30am to make the most of the light.  He didn't know, and actually ended up getting there a bit late for 8am start, and actually started at 8:10. ::-)
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

simonp

« Reply #96 on: 02 October, 2014, 01:59:15 pm »
Is it possible you or your friend are thinking of the Upper Thames which starts at 07:30 (and which runs after the clocks have gone back).

« Reply #97 on: 02 October, 2014, 02:04:56 pm »
Is it possible you or your friend are thinking of the Upper Thames which starts at 07:30 (and which runs after the clocks have gone back).
Every possibility.  I think his mind is still buzzing from having spent two weeks in the Alps on classic TdF routes. ::-)

But he did do this one last year, and is this year too, so if he aims for 7:30 start, then he's got a good chance of making the genuine 8am start!
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #98 on: 02 October, 2014, 03:07:55 pm »
It's looking like I will be a DNF now due the fact that I have been persuaded to tow someone round a perm route tomorrow, and two 200's in two days might be a tad too much for me at the moment.

« Reply #99 on: 02 October, 2014, 06:48:47 pm »
Its looking like its going to be a bit wet on Saturday :'(.  This means I'll need to bodge a least a front mudguard <sigh>
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.