Author Topic: List of 1200+ Audax rides in 2014  (Read 8848 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: List of 1200+ Audax rides in 2014
« Reply #25 on: 01 February, 2014, 03:03:51 pm »
While at the PBP presentation last weekend, I picked up a few brochures. One of them was for the Bavarian 1200 starting 28 July.

http://www.randonneure.de/brevet1200/englisch/index.htm

It looks a bit lumpy and is somewhat over-distance at around 1270km. I am uncertain whether the organiser has asked LRM for extra time and a constant minimum speed, rather than the standard 600km in 40 hours and 50 hours for the remainder.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #26 on: 01 February, 2014, 04:42:37 pm »
While at the PBP presentation last weekend, I picked up a few brochures. One of them was for the Bavarian 1200 starting 28 July.

http://www.randonneure.de/brevet1200/englisch/index.htm

It looks a bit lumpy and is somewhat over-distance at around 1270km. I am uncertain whether the organiser has asked LRM for extra time and a constant minimum speed, rather than the standard 600km in 40 hours and 50 hours for the remainder.

The organiser is very strict in the interpretation of the rules. A constant minimum speed he doesn't like, I've had my discussions with him in the past. He does however do a timeextension, first control after the official distance usually counts regarding the cut-of.

« Reply #27 on: 01 February, 2014, 09:01:57 pm »
Just to be 100% crystal clear - this means riding at 15kph for the first 600, but then you can afford to slacken off a bit and that there's no time for the over-distance, but you can still be OK as long as you do the first control after the 1200 mark within the time limit?

Anyway, it's a beautiful part of the world and I'm looking fwd to it immensely.

« Reply #28 on: 01 February, 2014, 10:31:43 pm »
Just to be 100% crystal clear - this means riding at 15kph for the first 600, but then you can afford to slacken off a bit and that there's no time for the over-distance, but you can still be OK as long as you do the first control after the 1200 mark within the time limit?

That was the way he did it last time I did his 1000. But beware, the organiser is the German equivalent of Shawn Shaw ;).

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #29 on: 01 March, 2014, 06:21:09 pm »
if i had more time off work i'd be up for this 2200km ride in italy

http://www.ciclofachiro.it/calendario/giro/

« Reply #30 on: 02 March, 2014, 08:54:15 pm »

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #31 on: 09 September, 2014, 11:48:31 am »
The 1200 just after Christmas 2014 sounds lumpy.

Do you have a link to more info on it Dave? I've fancied cycling in Columbia for a while and that ride has "winter training" written all over it :)

Best place to start would be to PM or email Tal.

Victor is very responsive. He replied me in under 24 hours.
You can find his email address in the ACP calendar pdf file.

Some of the words he used to describe that ride:
begining in MEDELLIN and going to  VILLAVICENCIO and back.
i have no web site, sorry , we are here all beginers.....
not to much people here that ride brevets.

it will be a big effort to ride it, as one will need to climb 4 times from 100 to 3000 mts  above sea level, one could feel the changing temperature from 0 to 40 C in aprox  2 hours, having very different scenery each way and riding in not to good roads.

Tal.

I've just found this thread after googling about the Colombian audax.

I wish I had been more serious with my cycling in the past years as I will be in Colombia at that time. I've driven some of these roads, it will be mix of extremely flat and extremely hot in the valley and Alpine hilly in the mountains with temperature varying from European winter temperatures to hot like during our summers . Basically there are 3 parallel range of mountains in Colombia with passes typically at 3000m altitude and to go from Medellin to Villaviciencio you need to cross 2 of these. At 3000m altitude it is cold and at 100m it is hot and humid (up to 40ºC).

Unfortunately I suspect that they will have no choice but to use primary roads. The scenery is incredible though and "average" Colombian people are amongst the nicest and happier people you can find on earth.

Chief cat entertainer.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2014, 11:23:07 pm »

I wish I had been more serious with my cycling in the past years as I will be in Colombia at that time. I've driven some of these roads, it will be mix of extremely flat and extremely hot in the valley and Alpine hilly in the mountains with temperature varying from European winter temperatures to hot like during our summers . Basically there are 3 parallel range of mountains in Colombia with passes typically at 3000m altitude and to go from Medellin to Villaviciencio you need to cross 2 of these. At 3000m altitude it is cold and at 100m it is hot and humid (up to 40ºC).

Unfortunately I suspect that they will have no choice but to use primary roads. The scenery is incredible though and "average" Colombian people are amongst the nicest and happier people you can find on earth.

Wow. I'd still love to do this, and after some good times on our two 1200kms this (northern hemisphere) summer maybe we'd even be approaching fitness for it. But going all that way, it sounds like it may suit us more as a touring trip then brevet. And I just remembered we are already booked to be in the UK then :)

Have a great time on your trip! Post some photos!

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #33 on: 20 September, 2014, 10:29:25 pm »

Wow. I'd still love to do this, and after some good times on our two 1200kms this (northern hemisphere) summer maybe we'd even be approaching fitness for it. But going all that way, it sounds like it may suit us more as a touring trip then brevet. And I just remembered we are already booked to be in the UK then :)

Have a great time on your trip! Post some photos!

I will be visiting family, but will keep the camera at hand!
Chief cat entertainer.