Author Topic: Raven Sport Tour owner - should I buy another bike for Audax rides?  (Read 13427 times)

I'm new to the forum, and hope I'm posting this in the appropriate section. I see there are a few members here who own the Raven Tour.

I've never tried an Audax, but would like to. I have a Raven Sport Tour and a carbon road bike, a Verenti Rhigos, (a Wiggle 'brand', I think).

The Raven's heavy, The Rhigos is light but would, I think, feel a bit cramped and 'insubstantial' for long rides. I've always wanted to get a proper bike fitting, and plan a trip to Paul Hewitt's shop soon for that. I'm trying to make that an excuse to buy another bike specifically for Audax.

The rational side of my cerebellum suggests I don't need another bike. The deluded side disagrees. I'm throwing it open here so I can go back to my cerebellum with some evidence.

I'm not a speed-freak, by any means. I like to go pretty fast on flat ground when the wind's at my back, making me feel 20 again. I do want to be comfortable, and I'd like something very responsive.

One of the things I enjoy about the Rhigos V the Raven is the facility for changing hand positions - I like riding on the hoods, and also getting low and digging in when the notion takes me.

On a dedicated Audax bike (I believe P Hewitt produces one), am I likely to go 'Wow! This is way different to the Raven!' or 'Hmm, it's lighter and a bit faster, but not so different to justify spending £1,500 or so'?

Thanks in advance
Joe

Re: Raven Sport Tour owner - should I buy another bike for Audax rides?
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:32:10 am »
People audax on all sorts of bikes, get some rides in and see how you get on, then you'll know what you want/need for yourself.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:00:23 am »
You've already got one more bike than me, and I've done 100's, 200's and a 300.

You only need another if your existing bikes are uncomfortable after 4/5 hours plus, and the more longer rides you do the more you learn about everything (especially audax where others' experiences are so generously and easily shared)

Good luck, and which will be your first ride?
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2014, 07:57:43 am »
When I arrive at the finish of a 200 on Sunday there were 4 riders in before me. Including my carbon bike that meant there were 4 carbon bikes and one titanium in the hall. This season it's been really noticeable that the percentage of carbon bikes has markedly increased. They're plenty strong enough for long distance rides, it's only the comfort that you need to make sure you've got right. If I was buying another bike now I'd be looking for a carbon frame, disc brakes and clearances for big tyres - at least 28mm with mudguards, ideally a bit bigger. If you want a new bikes go buy one - you can't have too many!
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2014, 08:26:35 am »
My wife said the other week, after I mentioned the recent £110 cycle to work payout was going on a new mech, chain, cassette, etc, "why don't you get a new bike?". Instead of agreeing with her, I replied I'd already got eight bikes. She shrieked "you've got eight bikes?". My daughter stared I disbelief. This was in a packed McDonalds.

I have a carbon bike I got for racing, but haven't raced for two years. With all the carbon on audaxes now, maybe I should try it out on a 200, as my 520 frame (or perhaps it's all the stuff I carry) feels heavy up the hills.

If you want a new bike, get one, and enjoy!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Euan Uzami

« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2014, 09:16:01 am »
So you've got one light bike and one heavy tourer.
The problem with getting another bike is that it might make both those redundant.
A light (summer, 'best') bike is good for short, fast, summer rides, and the heavy tourer is good for long tours and  winter rides. Audax fits somewhere in between, so now, you could pick either bike depending on whether it's a summer 100 or 200 where the weather's good, or a longer ride or where the weather's more variable.
An 'audax' bike is just that, ok for any and all audax, but it's never going to be that fast/fun/bling for short summer rides and it's never going to be able to handle really loaded touring. So you can't really get away with just an audax bike, but if you have one at all you may be tempted to neglect your other two. Remember the more bikes you have the more effort it is in terms of maintenance and getting set up right when you change from one to the other.

So I say no based on the fact the more bikes you have the more difficult it is to choose which one to ride.
Unless any of them are donor bikes/not working in which case it's perfectly fine.

« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2014, 09:21:46 am »
Both of those are probably alright for a 200.  Why not try them and see how you get on?

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2014, 11:47:28 am »
In 2007 when I returned to audax I used a Raven Sport tour, and it was OK for me up to, and including 600km audaxes (qualifying for PBP). On 600s, though, it felt a bit heavy/ cumbersome. On PBP itself it was definitely hard-work...Its a good  reliable choice for building stamina on 200s, though - and suited to laney routes with poor surfaces in poor weather (ie autumn/winter conditions). I would suggest riding it for several 200s, and maybe your Verenti as well, before even thinking about another bike. If you eventually step-up to riding 600s/1200s, I would suggest go for a comfy lighter bike eg a  carbon Roubaix or Domane or a titanium Enigma Etape, etc, etc (no shortage of choice if you can afford!)

''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #8 on: 16 September, 2014, 12:17:38 pm »
How about a Thorn Audax?

« Reply #9 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:14:46 pm »
Thanks all so far for the very helpful suggestions

Joe

« Reply #10 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:15:26 pm »
How about a Thorn Audax?

It's high on my list, thanks. Do you have one?

Joe

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:33:42 pm »
The Thorn Audax used to be a no-brainer, it was such a lot of bike for the money.  Price increases have pitted it against some serious competition.

As its name suggests though, it's a perfect Audax bike.

I've done 100/200/300/400/600 Audaxes on the Raven Tour (not the Sport Tour) and that's a heavy old beast.

In my opinion anything is suitable for a 100 and possibly a 200.  After 200 comfort becomes the overriding priority.

I ended up with a Condor Fratello, triple chainring 105.  It's a "magic carpet" ride and it consigned my Raven Tour to fully-loaded cycle-camping rides (which is, let's face it, what it was designed for).

If you don't intend to do more than a 200 then put your wallet away, or maybe look at some options for hand-positions on the Raven (in-board Bar-ends for example.  Want to buy some Thorn carbon ones ??)

Remember though, there's nothing intrinsically special about Audaxing..it's just a fairly leisurely bike ride.  That's the beauty of it, you can put slicks on an MTB and do an Audax.

Pete Mas suggests a (TREK) Domane if you get into the real long-distance rides.  I just bought one (a 4.3), as a summer toy, but am seriously considering it for PBP2015. It's up there with the Fratello for comfort but it goes forward quicker. Deals mean it's not much more than a Thorn Audax.

I think most of us would agree that buying the Thorn Audax AND the TREK Domane would be the best option.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #12 on: 16 September, 2014, 01:51:06 pm »

I think most of us would agree that buying the Thorn Audax AND the TREK Domane would be the best option.

And a couple of new high security sheds or garages to stable the bikes... ;D
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #13 on: 16 September, 2014, 06:35:22 pm »
When you have an option on bikes in the shed for an Audax, you will invariably take the one with the lowest and widest range of gears.

The choice may even come down to 'Gear inches x lbs', the lowest result being the bike to choose.

« Reply #14 on: 16 September, 2014, 09:35:24 pm »
The Thorn Audax used to be a no-brainer, it was such a lot of bike for the money.  Price increases have pitted it against some serious competition.

As its name suggests though, it's a perfect Audax bike.

I've done 100/200/300/400/600 Audaxes on the Raven Tour (not the Sport Tour) and that's a heavy old beast.

In my opinion anything is suitable for a 100 and possibly a 200.  After 200 comfort becomes the overriding priority.

I ended up with a Condor Fratello, triple chainring 105.  It's a "magic carpet" ride and it consigned my Raven Tour to fully-loaded cycle-camping rides (which is, let's face it, what it was designed for).

If you don't intend to do more than a 200 then put your wallet away, or maybe look at some options for hand-positions on the Raven (in-board Bar-ends for example.  Want to buy some Thorn carbon ones ??)

Remember though, there's nothing intrinsically special about Audaxing..it's just a fairly leisurely bike ride.  That's the beauty of it, you can put slicks on an MTB and do an Audax.

Pete Mas suggests a (TREK) Domane if you get into the real long-distance rides.  I just bought one (a 4.3), as a summer toy, but am seriously considering it for PBP2015. It's up there with the Fratello for comfort but it goes forward quicker. Deals mean it's not much more than a Thorn Audax.

Lee,

That's really helpful - thanks. I don't much like the look of the Thorn bar-ends. I used to have an Enduro with Ergons - I might try them

Thanks again
Joe

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #15 on: 16 September, 2014, 09:49:28 pm »
How about a Thorn Audax?

It's high on my list, thanks. Do you have one?

Joe
Unfortunately not..... But I'm saving for a trip to Leeds and a Bob Jackson

« Reply #16 on: 16 September, 2014, 10:16:32 pm »
I have a Raven Sport Tour too - It's my only geared bike (I generally prefer to ride fixed for audax events ) Despite being a relatively heavy bike, it's very comfortable & due to the Rohloff hub has a range of gears which enable me to get up any stupidly steep / long hills, so I have no qualms about riding any audax event on it if required.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2014, 09:01:49 am »
That's really helpful - thanks. I don't much like the look of the Thorn bar-ends. I used to have an Enduro with Ergons - I might try them

They look a bit odd but they work surprisingly well (and make you a bit more "aero")

I also used Cane Creek bar-ends which recreate the feel of riding "on the hoods" and make for a very natural grip when honking out of the saddle.

After bolting all these great solutions to my flat bars, in order to give me the flexibility of drop bars, I eventually just changed to drops and repositioned the Rohloff shifter.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #18 on: 17 September, 2014, 09:06:47 am »
Sorry but that's just horrible. ;D Matter of opinion and all that, each to his own etc, but :sick: :sick:   ::-)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #19 on: 17 September, 2014, 09:30:59 am »
That was my setup on my Thorn Raven Sport too Lee  :thumbsup:

Now I'm using butterfly bars and wiil never swap back.  :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #20 on: 17 September, 2014, 01:35:58 pm »
People audax on all sorts of bikes, get some rides in and see how you get on, then you'll know what you want/need for yourself.

+1

You seem to be saying "should I buy a light tourer?"  One of my five bikes is like that.  I tend to use it for 200 or 300km rides early season.   And for going to the pub.

Of course any bike can be used for going to the pub but the mudguards, lights and fast but durable tyres make it more suitable

« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2014, 01:54:29 pm »
Assuming the Verenti has a compact chainset and something that goes up to a 28 at the rear, just get yourself a good aero saddlebag and you are good for any Audax distance.  Get some tyres that have some puncture resistance, and if you expect the roads to be poor then make sure they're 25 or 28 width.

I use (and am always raving about) this bag:
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Seat-Bags/Terrapin
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #22 on: 17 September, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »
Comfort comfort comfort...  is the only hard and fast rule I subscribe to. I have a steel frame genesis equilibrium and would highly rcomend it. I ride it to work every day and make no alterations for audax rides.
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #23 on: 17 September, 2014, 01:55:44 pm »
..and maybe a hub dyno when you're looking at 600k+
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #24 on: 17 September, 2014, 03:21:09 pm »
Sorry but that's just horrible. ;D Matter of opinion and all that, each to his own etc, but :sick: :sick:   ::-)

Nice of you to take time out of your day, laughing at homeless people, to post that.

I prefer to think of my Raven Tour as "purposeful"