Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1761450 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1950 on: 18 May, 2011, 03:35:47 pm »
Welcome to MEMWNS, JOC!!

ale (or two).... will my legs spin faster afterwards??
Of course they will, you'll be drinking Essex Energy Drinks after all  ;)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1951 on: 18 May, 2011, 06:15:02 pm »
Welcome JOC - see you later on.

huggy - that time is fine - ~ i have to do a conf call 1830-1900, but will get changed first.

I have a plan involving a bit of mild (hopefully) off-roading on the way, if you arrive on the right bike!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1952 on: 18 May, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »
I have a plan involving a bit of mild (hopefully) off-roading on the way, if you arrive on the right bike!
Ah ok, I was planning on riding the Milano this evening but given the recent light shower and potential off-roading the wiser choice will probably be the Explorer  :-\

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1953 on: 18 May, 2011, 06:51:18 pm »
Ah ok, I was planning on riding the Milano this evening but given the recent light shower and potential off-roading the wiser choice will probably be the Explorer  :-\

;D :thumbsup:

I might even get us lost :)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1954 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:10:17 pm »

I'll have the GPS so we'll know how lost we are  :P

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1955 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »

I'll have the GPS so we'll know how lost we are  :P

I'm doing the Dengie Marshes tomorrow so I'll keep my eyes peeled for you!

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #1956 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:52:26 pm »
Think I saw 2 MEMWNS cyclists on there way towards Faulkbourne on Flora Rd, both with yellow jackets. Wish I could have Joined you  :'( havn't been on a  MEMWNS for such a long time  :facepalm:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

JOC

« Reply #1957 on: 18 May, 2011, 10:48:11 pm »
Just back from first MEMWN outing, led by super smooth cyclist Tom. My legs a bit heavy on the final climb! Excellent ale at the compasses, though the juke box left a bit to be desired.... Good to meet you all.
joc

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1958 on: 18 May, 2011, 11:36:08 pm »
Think I saw 2 MEMWNS cyclists on there way towards Faulkbourne on Flora Rd, both with yellow jackets. Wish I could have Joined you  :'( havn't been on a  MEMWNS for such a long time  :facepalm:
That would have been me & Oaky on the way to The Vine @Black Notley before heading over to The Compasses via a bit of off-road track  :o
May-Bee a bit more of a report to follow but now off to take care of the future Mrs H (and not in the way you're thinking either!!)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1959 on: 19 May, 2011, 01:30:42 am »

Ah - that was you over to the right.  I did wonder!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1960 on: 19 May, 2011, 10:40:03 am »
Mainly for the benefit of Chief here is our track log for yesterday evening's ride including some off-roading

Andyf

• I would engage you in a battle of wits, but it appears you came unarmed.
  • I love my Specialized, and my Specialized loves me
« Reply #1961 on: 19 May, 2011, 01:18:06 pm »
Ah - that was you over to the right.  I did wonder!

Just coming home from an 11 hour day, soaked through  for the second time. Had just been round to the courner shop for some super charged 9% 'Essex Energy Drink'  :thumbsup:
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "What a ride!" - Brian Davies

« Reply #1962 on: 19 May, 2011, 03:51:32 pm »
A very little jaunt would suit me, bearing in mind the time trial looming on Thursday...

Good luck this evening, Tomsk, looks like near perfect conditions for it, if I don't see you at signing on I'll be on the roundabout at Dunmow, then back down to the meeting point some time after the last rider.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1963 on: 19 May, 2011, 04:47:58 pm »
OD the Pathfinder reporting in ...

The Railway Arms at Southminster is excellent as apparently is The Cap & Feathers at Tillingham according to Huggy. I only had a mug of coffee there but there was about 4 proper beers on offer.

« Reply #1964 on: 19 May, 2011, 11:23:43 pm »
Mainly for the benefit of Chief here is our track log for yesterday evening's ride including some off-roading

Thanks Huggy :thumbsup:

Excellent night out, great to catch up with people and welcome JOS on board.

I got home at a naughty time for a school night but it was worth it :D

« Reply #1965 on: 20 May, 2011, 08:57:13 am »
The Railway Arms at Southminster is excellent...

I think this is the one Pip recommended ages ago when we bumped into her at the Square & Compasses beer and jazz fest.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1966 on: 22 May, 2011, 07:11:55 pm »
Ok, so who's out and about this Wednesday? How about we meet up somewhere half-way between Dunmow and Witham, like the Sq & Compasses, then ride on somewhere else [via North Hill ;D]? [I rode with the Chelmsford CTC today - they very carefully skirted most hills including NH, the only significant climb being up to Wickham Bishops. I don't think I've been up NH this year. :(] Just a thought!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1967 on: 22 May, 2011, 09:34:23 pm »
Regretfully not out this Weds - I have swapped this Weds with mrs_o so that I can go to a pub quiz on Tuesday night.  :-\

It feels like ages since I went up North Hill too. I like the idea of an S&C meet up prior to grumping up it though - definitely up for this another week.

I don't think I've been up NH this year. :(

I just checked - I'm on 27 (13 on fixed).

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1968 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:32:41 pm »
Well done, excellent grimping tally Oaky :thumbsup:

Anyone else free Weds?

JOC

« Reply #1969 on: 23 May, 2011, 07:56:01 pm »
would likely be around for a shorty. still awaiting wheel rebuild for my geared bike with lights, and still playing with set up/comfort on the fixed ,,,
joc

« Reply #1970 on: 23 May, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »
Afraid I won't be about as I'll be taking up old carpets on Wednesday evening ready for the new ones to be laid on Thursday.

If anybody wants some large pieces of old carpet please let me  :thumbsup:

As the work on the house is finally coming to an end after 7 months (excluding the previous mods) I'm wondering about hosting a MEMWNS event here one evening.  I'm not sure if that complies with the MEMWNS rules or not?  If it does I could get a polypin or 2 in and we could make use of the light evenings.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1971 on: 23 May, 2011, 09:38:54 pm »
I'm not sure if that complies with the MEMWNS rules or not?

As long as you take an indirect route to get there (up North hill, for example :) ) it should be fine.

« Reply #1972 on: 23 May, 2011, 10:00:49 pm »
Sounds like a plan then  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1973 on: 24 May, 2011, 09:28:29 am »
Ok, so who's out and about this Wednesday? How about we meet up somewhere half-way between Dunmow and Witham, like the Sq & Compasses, then ride on somewhere else [via North Hill ;D]? [I rode with the Chelmsford CTC today - they very carefully skirted most hills including NH, the only significant climb being up to Wickham Bishops. I don't think I've been up NH this year. :(] Just a thought!
I may have a pass stamped for Wednesday evening, but will have to make a final call on that tomorrow morning  :-\
What time are you likely to be at Fuller Street, Tomsk?

I'm not sure if that complies with the MEMWNS rules or not?
As long as you take an indirect route to get there (up North hill, for example :) ) it should be fine.
And waiving the MEMWNS forward planning ettiquette  ;)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1974 on: 24 May, 2011, 06:52:13 pm »
If JOC and I leave Dunmow at the usual Flitchbikes time of 7:30, we could be there for about 8.15, I guess, if we take a direct route. [JOC, if you want to head back from there would that be short enough? :D] Then a loop up over North Hill [to The Cricketers?] - I'll probably strike out south of Chelmsford to go back, rather than reverse the route.