Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191102 times)

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #225 on: 15 July, 2012, 12:05:01 pm »
So, a week on Thursday (that's Thursday 26th July), we'll have a short run from Darlington. Approximate route here:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/the-waterways-of-darlo

About 17 miles, the first half being mainly off-road (through Seven Woods and around the Tees from Low Connie to High Connie). The pub will be the Crown at Manfield, and it's a quick run back to the station from there.

Shall we meet at 6.30 at Darlo station? Victoria Road entrance, which is through the underpass from the platforms.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #226 on: 16 July, 2012, 08:31:05 am »
Sounds good to me, Deano, I shall fit the knobblies to InBred, in fact I will do that this week, as we are repeating the COR route to Thringtoft (lumpy fields on the way out and shark lane on the way back :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #227 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:03:12 am »
We can make it a bit later from Darlo. Trains back are a bit later, so there's nae rush.

LindaG

« Reply #228 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:57:28 am »
Yes, it was a good run on Thursday.  Thanks Deano.  I wonder what we looked like, middle-aged wheezy old bag with tourer/pannier, and slimline young whippet making poetry in motion on his Fixie.  If I'd had half a clue I'd have come on my road bike and dropped my overnight stuff at Deano's, it would've made for an easier day for me and more fun for him, instead of a bit of a waitfest.  Of course he uttered (barely) a word of complaint  ;)

But not to worry, it was a grand bike ride in the sun with lovely company, and it did me good  :)  Followed by more lovely company, beer, and chips.  In summary:  a good day!

I'm in for this week.  I was supposed to be on a mini-break with a friend, but Daisyhill can't make our overnight trip after all.  But I'm working next Thursday and can't do the Darlo run.  I'm trying to persuade Jane to go though ...

« Reply #229 on: 16 July, 2012, 10:58:11 am »
Sounds good to me, Deano, I shall fit the knobblies to InBred, in fact I will do that this week, as we are repeating the COR route to Thringtoft (lumpy fields on the way out and shark lane on the way back :) )

There's no real need, Phil (but don't let me stop you). I've ridden it on my Dave Yates. And of course, CL did it.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #230 on: 16 July, 2012, 12:44:42 pm »
Did I?  Oh - is it that path along the river?  In which case SlowCoach has also ridden it on Beryl!  Grand fun :)  Sorry I won't make that one, but I'll be there for thrintoft.

« Reply #231 on: 18 July, 2012, 10:21:58 pm »
Hmm - family crisis... I'm afraid I can't get out tomorrow night. I'll have to seriously look at Dean's ride from Darlo next week.

tiermat

« Reply #232 on: 19 July, 2012, 02:29:58 pm »
A quick head count for tonight.

Me
Deano
CL
LG

Have I missed anyone? Is tiptop going to manage to make it out for one more ride before disappearing southwards?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #233 on: 19 July, 2012, 02:54:56 pm »
I can bring my road bike for you if you like tiptop?

Oh gowan!

LindaG

« Reply #234 on: 19 July, 2012, 02:58:34 pm »
It has SPD pedals on do you have appropriate footwear?  Or shall I swap the flat pedals from my shopper?

tiermat

« Reply #235 on: 19 July, 2012, 03:00:28 pm »
\o/ I love this forum, an our group of cycling buddies....

Lots of chips and beer to say Adeyu to tiptop then?

LindaG

« Reply #236 on: 19 July, 2012, 03:01:11 pm »
Aye  :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #237 on: 19 July, 2012, 03:05:21 pm »
I tried to get Robyn out too but she's otherwise busy ...

She runs away whenever I go into Wilkos :)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #238 on: 19 July, 2012, 04:53:50 pm »
Sorry, looks like I'm out. Have fun!

LindaG

« Reply #239 on: 19 July, 2012, 04:54:31 pm »
Aw!

tiermat

« Reply #240 on: 19 July, 2012, 04:56:46 pm »
Sorry, looks like I'm out. Have fun!

Darn! Hope everything is ok.

tiermat

« Reply #241 on: 20 July, 2012, 08:55:46 am »
What great night, barring the bad pint of Gun Dog.  Oh and the landlady giving us the evils 'cos we asked for more beer after she had turned the pumps off....

Sunshine, lovely roads, majorly comedy off roading and a dog with one eye...

« Reply #242 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:47:37 am »
"One-Eyed Dog"  -  good name for a beer, nicht wahr?

tiermat

« Reply #243 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:52:50 am »
"One-Eyed Dog"  -  good name for a beer, nicht wahr?

Very good, and they could sell it at:

http://www.oneeyedrat.com/

One of my favourite pubs ever, spent many a drunken night in there in my late teens/early twenties...

« Reply #244 on: 20 July, 2012, 09:55:46 am »
Ha!  Now I'm sure I've got a DIY Audax that goes through Ripon.......

tiermat

« Reply #245 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:01:34 am »
Ha!  Now I'm sure I've got a DIY Audax that goes through Ripon.......

If I were you I would make it one where the final control is Ripon.  Once in that pub you never want to leave, a bit like Hotel California, but with beer. And in North Yorkshire. And no vestal virgins :(

« Reply #246 on: 20 July, 2012, 10:07:58 am »
I have no steely knives but I could always put an edge on my tyre-levers!

LindaG

« Reply #247 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:05:57 am »
What a nice night that was!  Hilarious Cyclo-cross/COR on the out and back legs, Shark Lane in the dark (sound effects from tiptop), beer (but not for me), good mates ... oh, and chips.  Sadly our official photographer was at the wrong end of the train line so you'll just have to imagine the pictures.

So my road bike is now at tiermat's, caked in a stone of mud.  I've just woken up  ::-) and need to decide whether to catch a train to NTR and ride it back home via a few fords, puddles and jetwashes.  Hmmm.  What's the weather doing ...

tiermat

« Reply #249 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:12:50 am »
It's gorgeous, weatherwise, down here.

If you are coming for it today you will have to get here before 15:00.

Actually, come to think of it if you can't make it before then I could leave it at the FiL's for you to collect, if needs be.