Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191320 times)

LindaG

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #250 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:14:38 am »
Blimey Deano - that really is the long way home  ;D

« Reply #251 on: 20 July, 2012, 11:35:49 am »
'Snot really. It'd only add 3 or four miles. I don't think there are any fords downstream of that. You could go up Foxton Lane, but that would defeat the purpose a bit... No fords on the Leven?

LindaG

« Reply #252 on: 20 July, 2012, 12:26:44 pm »
Right t, my train gets to NTR at 14.18.  See you shortly after that.  Get kettle on ...

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #253 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:37:03 am »
Remember, this weeks is a Darlo ride, meet 18:00 onwards @ Darlo station (my train gets in @18:07 if I can wing it on a EC train)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #254 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:41:05 am »
I think we'll have:

Me
tiermat
Crusty
LG
"Slow"coach

Anyone else?

LindaG

« Reply #255 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:46:39 am »
Phantasmagoriana?

« Reply #256 on: 23 July, 2012, 10:48:40 am »
Phantasmagoriana?

I can't see any expression of interest on the thread - but all welcome!

LindaG

« Reply #257 on: 23 July, 2012, 11:03:06 am »
That's because I posted on the wrong thread.   ::-)

I'm working on Thursday and definitely won't be there.  Crusty I don't know about.

tiermat

« Reply #258 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:07:21 am »
It doesn't look like I will be able to get there until 18:46, the train that gets in at just after 18:00 is an East Coast and the earlier TPE gets in at 17:33, which is cutting it too fine for Mrs T getting home and me getting tot he station on time.

Hope that's not too much of a problem for you guys?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #259 on: 24 July, 2012, 09:13:39 am »
No probs. There's a slightly shorter route we can take down to the river.

« Reply #260 on: 24 July, 2012, 10:13:48 am »
Phantasmagoriana?

I can't see any expression of interest on the thread - but all welcome!

Actually, I might come as am free Thursday this week!

« Reply #261 on: 24 July, 2012, 10:58:41 am »
Come along if you can. It's a nice an interesting route.

« Reply #262 on: 24 July, 2012, 11:35:24 am »
Sorry - I can't make it. I'd forgotten I have a game of football to watch at St James Park for those Olympic thingies.

« Reply #263 on: 24 July, 2012, 05:12:34 pm »
That's a shame. You'll be out on Friday, though, no?

So just the three of us (I'll twist Crusty's arm), or will we have a phantasmagoria too?

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #264 on: 24 July, 2012, 07:09:19 pm »
Hi

Yes, I'm in.  I'll be in Darlo anyway, I finish work at 5 and because LG will have the car with her at work, I'll also have my bike with me, so it would be more difficult not to come.

I think I've persuaded LG to come and meet us at the pub after work, and this means I'll be able to get a lift home too.

See you there.
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

« Reply #265 on: 26 July, 2012, 01:35:03 pm »
I'll probably get the train that arrives at 18.13. Provided I put my bike back together by this evening. ::-)

tiermat

« Reply #266 on: 26 July, 2012, 03:23:40 pm »
The rain has stopped, it's not going to go below double figures tonight (so liquid refreshment @ Manfield will be very welcome) and it's then not forecast to rain again until Saturday afternoon!

\o/ win all round, I would say :)

« Reply #267 on: 26 July, 2012, 04:06:28 pm »
What time are we likely to get back to Darlo? Not sure whether to book a space for the 22.25 train...

tiermat

« Reply #268 on: 26 July, 2012, 04:09:11 pm »
What time are we likely to get back to Darlo? Not sure whether to book a space for the 22.25 train...

That's the one we usually jump on (by we I mean myself and CL, but she won't be there tonight), and we haven't had a problem yet with not having bike reservations (knowing my luck tonight will be the night we do!).  We use that one as it is drop off only @ NTR then straight thru to York.

« Reply #269 on: 26 July, 2012, 04:24:49 pm »
Ah good, thanks.

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Rides
« Reply #270 on: 26 July, 2012, 06:00:19 pm »
Isn't there an 11.15-ish train you guys can catch? You'll deffo need a bike reservation, mind.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #271 on: 26 July, 2012, 07:08:44 pm »
Indeed, the 23.19 EC service.

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #272 on: 27 July, 2012, 06:50:55 am »
I think that was one of the most bonkers bike rides I've ever been on.  It's at least in the top three (funnily enough Dean was organising the other two as well). 

10 miles of riding alongside the Tees over tree stumps, rocks, tree trunks, flattening giant bogweed with my pannier full of junk, sometimes the path was so overgrown I just had to hope there really was a path as I ploughed on through the bushes.  I was going so slow I was nervous about overtaking a dog walker in case I couldn't stay ahead of him, and this morning my legs look like they've been in a slasher movie. 

It's the kind of ride that really deserves a full blown ride report which I hope to get round to in time.  So much happened in such a short amount of time, but I have to go now, to put my shredded legs back on the personal bogweed flattener and do once again my 12 mile commute....yay!
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

tiermat

« Reply #273 on: 27 July, 2012, 09:17:53 am »
That was grand, right up to the bit when we got to the station.

As Crusty has said, it was major COR, Hogweed, mud, paths you could only ride by blind faith and only couple, but very cheery, dog walkers.

Lovely beer and the landlord wasn't as surly as normal @ Manfield.  A mad dash back to DAR to catch the train, only to be told by the guard that he only had room for one bike (there was 3 already on there).  I let Phanta take the space and I jumped in a cab, I tried reasoning with the guard but it seems that this time we got the wrong guard :(  Nevermind, you live and learn.  Back home by 23:45, in bed by 00:15 and slept like a bairn.

« Reply #274 on: 27 July, 2012, 11:35:35 am »
I think that was one of the most bonkers bike rides I've ever been on. 

Ditto! That was, er...interesting. :o To think I'd cleaned my bike properly for the first time in ages only a few hours before, too... :facepalm: I did walk a bit, but a lot less than I thought I would, given that I won't normally even ride on bridleways. At least normal COR will seem tame in the future!  I can't comprehend how Deano could do that on a completely inappropriate bike, and nor could some of the walkers.

Tiermat very kindly let me have the last space on the train (IMHO there was plenty of space in the bike section for two more, but the guard wasn't having it!), thus meaning I didn't have to ride back to York in the middle of the night with no map or GPS, which I momentarily considered (for some reason I didn't even think of taxi - had no idea they took bikes). Thanks Tiermat, and sorry you had to get a taxi. :( I know for next time to book a space on the 23.19, not the 22.25.