Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191199 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #625 on: 14 March, 2013, 09:49:42 am »
If we time this right we can do NTR > Maunby, a quick pint in the Copper Dragon lottery, then Green Lane back to NTR and The Station in time for food and to see CL, obviously!

So the starters list, tonight, so far is:
Me
LG
That Deano
Torslanda

Meeting us at the pub:
CL
Crusty
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #626 on: 14 March, 2013, 10:00:36 am »
I forgot to say, I won't be drinking tonight, darned antibiotics :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #627 on: 14 March, 2013, 10:07:57 am »
I might join you in that.  Darned depressive illness.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #628 on: 14 March, 2013, 05:16:58 pm »
Looks like the Station does grub til 8?  I'll aim for the train into NTR at 7 or half past, I suspect.  Maybe call my mob if you're running late and need a food order relaying?

tiermat

« Reply #629 on: 14 March, 2013, 05:54:50 pm »
Sounds like a plan to me, we are all here, barring that deano, so shan't be too long before we head off, I suspect :)

LindaG

« Reply #630 on: 15 March, 2013, 11:45:15 am »
Well, that was different.

I rode 30km on Crusty's bike with the dodgy headset to the House of Fine Coffee, in the cold rain.  Torslanda was already in residence, Fine Coffee was supped, and then I had a happy time getting introduced to n+1, a saucy French Mixte-Fixte who shall henceforth be known as Joan (of arc).  Because there's a lot of shiny metal on her.  Also because I know at least one superb Joan who is also very pretty indeed.

So that was nice.

Someone was late.  And later.  Then very late.  The only answer was to do a bike ride to the pub (it's what he would have wanted) and if Someone was dead in the ditch, well, at least we'd have had a bike ride.  It was nippy on the way out, we didn't talk much (controlling that dodgy headset takes a lot of concentration, and I was fretting like a fool) but it was, actually, a fine night for a ride, 'specially on the way back, with the wind behind us.  Very, very dark, and I know now how much better my Hope light is than Crusty's CatEye.

Torslanda, crusty and CrinklyLion were at the pub, tucking in, when we arrived for Chips and Beer (rather a lot of the latter, oops) and when CL had peeled me off the ceiling it was a nice evening.  A very pleasant change to have Torslanda along, he hurt his knee riding with me and Joan round the block so was on foot.  Good beer.  Good chips.

At the last moment we found out our absent friend wasn't dead, and that was good too.

We went back to tiermat's to collect Joan, and that was the pubbe run for this week.  Thursday nights have become a lot more eventful since we started doing this.

tiermat

« Reply #631 on: 15 March, 2013, 11:48:33 am »
I was just about to write a post.

Then I looked at this thread and saw you had basically written what I was going to write, not quite verbatim, but not far off.

I agree, it was different, nice to see those we haven't seen in a while and not so nice to spend some time worrying about absent friends (and no he will not be allowed to live it down, he had 5 of us at the pub worrying about him, and 2 back at THoFC).

CrinklyLion

« Reply #632 on: 15 March, 2013, 12:54:55 pm »
Ermm... can I just state for the record that I wasn't worrying?  I _told_ you that someone would probably be asleep.  I also think the cunning strategy of distracting you from fretting with Beer worked well.

Pics later, when I get round to it.

LindaG

« Reply #633 on: 15 March, 2013, 01:53:47 pm »
Yeah, well, I never used to worry, until a series of police officers turned up at the door in the wee smalls with me in me nightie and people impaled on fence posts and stuff.

Although, annoyingly, worrying does not seem to prevent this kind of incident.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #634 on: 15 March, 2013, 04:30:18 pm »

My dinner

Ham, egg and chips as purchased by  that there Tiermat and the lovely LG - 'cept I fogot to take a photie until the eggies were gone....

For some reason it seems my phone (which was clearly having a slightly perturbed evening, it must be said, as it kept mis-behaving) appears not to like Sweet and Sour Chicken and has therefore refused to take photos of it. Not to worry though, as Crusty and Torslanda both seemed to like it muchly, and they were the ones eating it :)  And the Railway serves pints in Proper  Glasses.

I had a bit of sprint to make my train there when I just missed one bus to the station and then saw the next one sailing by just behind it, a good 5 minutes early, with no more due for 20 minutes so leaving me not-quite-long-enough to walk to the station and get a ticket.  Well, not with legs as little as mine anyway.  So I walked fast - well, by my definition of fast, at least.  It's not a good thing when you get to the station and on the departures board in the ticket office your train is already listed as 'arrived'.  Especially when it is on platform 11 and you have have to salmon against the disembarked passengers across the bridge to get there.  Swines didn't check my ticket either!

Splendid grub and gossip, and then the train back.... delayed East Coast, on which I had a carriage to myself and the guard made a point of greeting all 4 of us who boarded at NTR, but also didn't check my ticket so I guess I gambled on orange and lost this time.  Got home absolutely cream-crackered, so it was the right choice to not ride a bike but good to see everyone!

« Reply #635 on: 15 March, 2013, 04:47:52 pm »
Oh proper mushy peas - I should really move back to the North.

tiermat

« Reply #636 on: 18 March, 2013, 05:24:13 pm »
Who is going to sleep in for this week then?

Come rain, shine or snow I am.

Oh, and Jen, YES YOU SHOULD! Bring Clarion and Butterfly with you.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #637 on: 19 March, 2013, 07:53:10 am »
I'm pretty unlikely, given how tired I am right now - before the working week has technically started, and having been in bed and fast asleep by 9 last night I've managed to wake up still knackered!  I suspect a week of early nights beckons.

tiermat

« Reply #638 on: 20 March, 2013, 09:30:37 am »
PLEASE NOTE:

I am dropping out of this week's, due to a) Having the mother of all migranes for the last 24 hours and b) puking for the same amount of time.

Sorry

CrinklyLion

« Reply #639 on: 20 March, 2013, 03:03:57 pm »
Migraines are crap.

GWS!

tiermat

« Reply #640 on: 23 March, 2013, 12:41:36 pm »
RIGHT!

Health back on track.

Weather not so...

BUT! There is still a ride on this week.  As it is the Thursday before good Friday we can (trains and stuff permitting) stay out to play for a bit longer, if we like \o/

It is also quiz night @ The Farmers, anyone up for defending our first losers second place crown? :)

tiermat

« Reply #641 on: 23 March, 2013, 01:48:49 pm »
We had snow when I got up (at about 07:30) but it has all melted now.

Still a bit bitter, though.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #642 on: 23 March, 2013, 02:08:36 pm »
I expect to have a houseful of pre arrow hardy audaxers so won't be out to play.  And in the event of pre arrow hardy audaxers say 'feck that for a game of soldiers' because of weather, I can't imagine that I'll be playing on bikes!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #643 on: 23 March, 2013, 11:07:25 pm »
I expect to have a houseful of pre arrow hardy audaxers so won't be out to play.  And in the event of pre arrow hardy audaxers say 'feck that for a game of soldiers' because of weather, I can't imagine that I'll be playing on bikes!

I'm planning on coming to see you on Friday morning.  What time is too early?
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #644 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:14:04 pm »
Just cold in Darlo. Nowt's laying.

Scorton, then?

tiermat

« Reply #645 on: 27 March, 2013, 06:16:56 am »
Yup, Scorton it is  :thumbsup: don't fall asleep this time, will you?

LindaG

« Reply #646 on: 27 March, 2013, 11:42:55 am »
Crusty's in. See you at the pub.

« Reply #647 on: 27 March, 2013, 11:43:37 am »

I needs sleep for the Arrow!

tiermat

« Reply #648 on: 27 March, 2013, 12:09:23 pm »
Crusty's in. See you at the pub.

:thumbsup:

I needs sleep for the Arrow!

They'll be plenty of time to sleep on Saturday, Sunday and Monday :D

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #649 on: 27 March, 2013, 07:21:15 pm »
Yes, I'll be there.  I aim to be at THoFC no later than 6.  Famous last words.
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.