Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 190918 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #700 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:14:44 pm »
Bullamoor, unless you fancy hills, or comedy off road, might be out.

If CL is coming along (and I seriously hope she is) I suggest a loop via Maunby, back to the Station for beer, food and a grumpy landlord!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #701 on: 11 April, 2013, 03:24:52 pm »
Actually, if people can tolerate the grumpy landlord, that plan would work quite well for me as I have a metric shitload of Stuffs to do but could pop over and join you there for a pint and a sarnie...  before 8, mind, and it might be worth giving them a ring just to check what time they're closing the kitchen!  Or the Lion, if that's nicer, since you could get your chip quota in Maundby first :D

What d'ya reckon?

« Reply #702 on: 11 April, 2013, 04:26:06 pm »
Sounds fine. I'll be setting off soon - let Phil know your plans, or text me.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #703 on: 11 April, 2013, 04:32:01 pm »
I'll aim for the train into NTR about half 7 if that works - so long as someone tells me where in town you'll end up!  Then you can phone ahead orders to me if timing is tight.

tiermat

« Reply #704 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:36:58 pm »
I'll aim for the train into NTR about half 7 if that works - so long as someone tells me where in town you'll end up!  Then you can phone ahead orders to me if timing is tight.

Fine by me, shall we say the Station, then?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

« Reply #705 on: 11 April, 2013, 05:43:46 pm »
Cool :) I'll aim for half 7 ish, see you later!

*returns to the housework once more*

CrinklyLion

« Reply #706 on: 23 April, 2013, 10:09:15 pm »
Since Tiermat is off sunning himself in Catalonia I'm guessing he won't be out to play this week, but anyone have any thoughts on a more northerly pubbe runne?  I heard a rumour (OK, got a PM) implying that some more distant visitors might be up for a visit to somewhere for chips....

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #707 on: 24 April, 2013, 09:27:45 am »
Helleau, southern softies here. I say, you don't 'alf get some weather up this way, it's jolly breezy at the mo.

Anyway we are currently near Kielder so about 60 miles north of Darlo but we have the mobile bike shed with us and can travel to a beer'n'chips opportunity. Anybody about and if so where?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #708 on: 24 April, 2013, 11:38:19 am »
Probably, so long as someone who knows the way to the pub is in charge of navigation :)

« Reply #709 on: 24 April, 2013, 11:46:46 am »
I'm around! I know a good pub that doesn't do chips...

There's free parking at North Road Morrison's. probably other places too. What's a good time for us to meet?

tiermat

« Reply #710 on: 24 April, 2013, 11:48:25 am »
Shame I will miss this, maybe next time, Clare?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #711 on: 24 April, 2013, 02:31:23 pm »
I'd need to check train times and stuff, but should be able to get there by half 6 or so I guess?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #712 on: 24 April, 2013, 05:51:57 pm »
Where's the pub?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #713 on: 24 April, 2013, 05:54:00 pm »
Shame I will miss this, maybe next time, Clare?

We'll have to come back up this way and impose on THOFC at a later date.

:)

tiermat

« Reply #714 on: 24 April, 2013, 05:57:45 pm »
You are more tham welcome, and it wouldn't be an imposition :-)

Sorry for any bad typing, blame Spanish beer! <hic>

« Reply #715 on: 24 April, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »
Where's the pub?

The Crown, Manfield.  Here:

http://goo.gl/maps/uH0nb

Wanna just meet there?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #716 on: 24 April, 2013, 07:53:51 pm »
Is there a time limit on the parking at Morrison's?

We're hoping to blatt around Kielder on the MTBs tomorrow and will need to drop them off here and head down your way with the tourers. I'm guessing it'll take us a little over an hour to get to Darlo from Greenhaugh. What's the plan from Darlo to the pub, is it straight there or via an exceedingly flat section of that up north?
Does the pub do food? I can only find mention of 'bar snacks' which could be anything from crisps to gourmet pickled eggs. If not we can grab a Mozzer's pasty before leaving Darlo.

Anyway, the above is random thoughts but we'll aiming to get to Darlo for a ride to a pub and will try to get to Mozzer's for 18:30 ish.

I have a mobile number for Deano from last September, is that still current?

« Reply #717 on: 24 April, 2013, 08:11:12 pm »
I don't think there is any limit on parking - I've suggested it before for people to park there all day while doing audaxes.

The pub does food, just not chips. The pie-anna-pint is a good deal. Best pork pies in the world, from Taylor's in Darlo. Plenty of other options, too.

It's not entirely flat, but not hilly. About the only hill is where you have to cross the Tees. It's about five miles from Darlo.

It may take you longer than an hour to get to Darlo. Coming south on the A1, come off the motrway at junction 59, and follow the A167 into town. Morrison's is on your right, with the old railway works clock on the wall. Parking's round the back.

My number's still the same! Are yours and Vern's?

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #718 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:19:54 pm »
Yeah, the day we change our mobile numbers is the day the world ends with Pierce Brosnan at its helm or something like that.

We're going to give ourselves an hour and a half to get to Darlo, are we meeting in Mozzer's car park or cycling to the train station. Which will be best?

We'll probably be coming down the A68 but Google maps has pointed me in the right direction as long as we don't hit a bizarre one way system.

« Reply #719 on: 24 April, 2013, 10:44:33 pm »
Ah, if you're coming down the A68, it might be best to park in the village. I'm pretty sure the car park behind the Co Op is free, and we can meet there. It's a nicer route out to the pub, too.

Linkyto follow when I'm at a computer. It's Cockerton Co Op, but there are a few Co Ops around there.

« Reply #720 on: 25 April, 2013, 10:21:54 am »
Right - here it is:

http://goo.gl/maps/KpUcB

Stay on the A68 all the way into Darlington, until you get to the mini-roundabout by the Traveller's Rest. Go right, and take the next left, which goes into the car park behind the Co-Op. You'll see the Co-Op on your left.

We'll meet you out the front of the Co-Op.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #721 on: 25 April, 2013, 10:39:34 am »
Excellent we'll aim for 18:30, we've got your mobile numbers in case of delay.

« Reply #722 on: 25 April, 2013, 10:41:29 am »
Champion. Have fun in the forest.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #723 on: 26 April, 2013, 01:14:56 am »
Well we're back in Greenhaugh after a splendid ride with excellent company around a very flat section of up north, beer chosen from an extensive range at Manfield, another ride around another bit of flatland and beer from an even more extensive range in Darlo.
What a spiffy evening we will have to come back and do it again soon.

tiermat

« Reply #724 on: 27 April, 2013, 08:40:29 am »
So where to this week?  And who is in? I promise NOT to bore you (too much) with tales of daring-do in the Iberian Peninsular :)