Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 191261 times)

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #925 on: 07 April, 2015, 03:01:43 pm »
dagnamit... would have joined you but am off to London on thursday evening for a wedding on friday... wednesdays or tuesdays are generally better for me, but can occasionally escape on a thursday depending on Band commitments.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #926 on: 08 April, 2015, 01:28:26 am »
Having consulted oracles and soothsayers, saner heads than mine have prevailed.

It is indeed too close to our holiday. Moreover it's rather rash to make a 150 mile round trip just to go to the pub. Peter can't make it either on a Thursday. Have fun everyone, we'll be up sometime in the near future . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #927 on: 09 April, 2015, 07:42:01 am »
Sorry - I can't get down tonight. I have something come up at work which means I'll not get away.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #928 on: 09 April, 2015, 08:47:36 am »
Sorry - I can't get down tonight. I have something come up at work which means I'll not get away.

No worries, baggsy your pint!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #929 on: 09 April, 2015, 10:44:32 pm »
Good night that, cheers, guys. I'm still full of fajitas  :smug:

« Reply #930 on: 10 April, 2015, 01:18:34 am »
Where did you go, in the end?

tiermat

« Reply #931 on: 10 April, 2015, 09:24:17 am »
Where did you go, in the end?

Farmers @ Scorton. It was brill! The trip back was just as quick as the trip there, that Jason being far too fast!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #932 on: 10 April, 2015, 10:30:52 am »
Perfect destination.  Shark Lane on way back?

tiermat

« Reply #933 on: 10 April, 2015, 10:31:40 am »
Perfect destination.  Shark Lane on way back?

Of course!!!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #934 on: 10 April, 2015, 10:53:10 am »
So is the pub run going to be a fast blokey ride from now on?  Nothing wrong with that, but it's not really me.
Milk please, no sugar.

tiermat

« Reply #935 on: 10 April, 2015, 12:03:43 pm »
So is the pub run going to be a fast blokey ride from now on?  Nothing wrong with that, but it's not really me.

No, not at all, just was the way it worked out last night. You know how we roll.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #936 on: 10 April, 2015, 12:11:02 pm »
I know how we used to roll, back in the day.  But that was in a galaxy far, far away and another lifetime.  Things move on.
Milk please, no sugar.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #937 on: 11 April, 2015, 01:32:43 pm »

I'm sure I'll be there at some stage this Summer to hobble everyone to about 10mph ensure a more sedate pace as befits a man of my lardiness years.  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #938 on: 14 April, 2015, 09:23:28 am »

Mrs. M is tempted by the prospect of some more sociable riding as we often ride on our own.
If I can tear myself away from work stuff , we could slow down the pace a bit for you, so long as we don't have too long a return leg.
Maunby ??

tiermat

« Reply #939 on: 14 April, 2015, 10:42:01 am »

Mrs. M is tempted by the prospect of some more sociable riding as we often ride on our own.
If I can tear myself away from work stuff , we could slow down the pace a bit for you, so long as we don't have too long a return leg.
Maunby ??

Sounds like a plan, we have a circuitous route that does about (IIRC) 10-15 miles to get there, then, obviously, only about 5 to get back.  Or we could just go the whole hog and just ride there then back :)  Dave (NOTP) is up for this week, not sure about his step son, and it is his stepson that tends to "put the hammer down".  I am in, definitely, as no one has said to me, yet "GO HERE!", here being somewhere far flung.  I believe Deano is in, unless anything has changed since last Thursday night.  Do you know the meeting point, madcow? If not, drop me a PM and I'll send you the address.

Come to think of it, it might be time to do a Moor & Pheasant run, which would work out even better for you, wouldn't it?

« Reply #940 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:22:18 pm »
Thanks for the info.
Ref. Moor and Pheasant-I haven't been along that stretch of road in Dalton for years , as we either go round the top end for Sowerby or stay on the Helperby side of Sessay if coming home.
The West Park group run the Grantham Arms at Boroughbridge and they have just refurbished the Blue Bell at Arkendale.
The Grantham is a bit too poncey  sophisticated  for turning up in lycra  so it would be interesting to see if they have toned it down a bit out in the sticks. I suppose with the new houses on the old "Chickenchokers*" site there will be few more executives in the village.

*Ross/Buxted poultry factory.

« Reply #941 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:24:52 pm »
oooh you're all on my doorstep! think I shall be joining you :)

Tiermat, I'll PM you for more details

tiermat

« Reply #942 on: 14 April, 2015, 12:38:46 pm »
Reply sent, jenhunt.

I have just realised it is 4 years, pretty much to the day, since we (well, ok, Deano and CrinklyLion) started these.

I don't think I would have even gotten back out on my bike, that year, if they hadn't.  Instead I have lots of great (and small) adventures, become a local in a pub many miles away* and seen sights, on my own doorstep, that are enough to make you gasp**.

*though, not as far away as Clarion's local is to him!
**being shadowed by an owl or a bat, seeing fields of corn glowing in moonlight, being scared half to death by a deer jumping out of a hedgeback, having a pint too many and running into a telegraph post before I had even gotten out of the pub car park.

« Reply #943 on: 15 April, 2015, 09:31:10 pm »
So that's four of us then.
The weather looks set to be dry ,if a little cool. Anyone else coming out tomorrow?

tiermat

« Reply #944 on: 16 April, 2015, 06:27:43 am »
I make it 5 so far.

The dependables (myself and Deano)
Mr & Mrs mad cow
Jenhunt

Dave (NOTP) can't make it, his step son may be out with us, though, shall check.

« Reply #945 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:01:20 am »
 :'( something's come up at work and I'm unlikely to get there tonight after all... I will cycle up the direction of your route if I do get away at a sensible time and hopefully meet you somewhere along there. otherwise, it'll have to be another time!

tiermat

« Reply #946 on: 16 April, 2015, 09:14:14 am »
:'( something's come up at work and I'm unlikely to get there tonight after all... I will cycle up the direction of your route if I do get away at a sensible time and hopefully meet you somewhere along there. otherwise, it'll have to be another time!

OH! NO!

We won't hard to spot! :)  I will even wear one of my YACF jerseys, to avoid any doubt

« Reply #947 on: 16 April, 2015, 10:21:51 am »
What time is kick-off? 
We can get there for around 6.30.

tiermat

« Reply #948 on: 16 April, 2015, 11:00:25 am »
What time is kick-off? 
We can get there for around 6.30.

Fine by me, it is a nice, easy, hour (or there abouts) to Dalton from here.  IIRC the pub stops serving food at 21:00, so no huge rush.

tiermat

« Reply #949 on: 17 April, 2015, 08:24:20 am »
Another brilliant night! Cool-ish, no real wind to worry about and a great ride out. Lots of beer consumed at the pub, we tried to get another at South Otterington, but they had called last orders, and turned the lights off just as we got there!

I have discovered how to slow Jason down, go somewhere he has never been!

One other, useful, discovery last night. There is a TPE from NTR to DAR and DHM at 23.06. Just saying.

ETA: I almost forgot "Tonight, Matthew, I am going to be Casper the Friendly Ghost". You had to be there :)