Author Topic: Hase Pino  (Read 2046 times)

Hase Pino
« on: 09 March, 2010, 08:06:00 am »
My partner & I were at a chance to try out a Hase Pino at a bike show the other weekend. We'd been thinking of trading up the second hand Vittorio for something better fitting. My partner likes to captain but the size doesn't suit, either for her at the front or me at the back. When we tour with weight on the front it's too difficult for her to captain. Additionally when I'm captain it's difficult to get myself heard with any background noise.

The Pino looked to solve many of these problems. It was a really nice ride. Does anyone on this forum have one? The guy who took us through rode explained some of the features and extras.

He said that many people opted to get front suspension as the stoker sat over the front wheel which being of a recumbent was small. He said the this made for a nicer ride. I was wondering how important this was. I don't see too many single recumbents with suspension, I'd have thought it unnecessary. Does anymore have an opinion on this?

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
Re: Hase Pino
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:17:25 am »
I think one member hear has one.

I've used the version before the Pino called the Periscop alot but that doesn't really help, but the guy who lent it to me not only has the periscop but a Pino too and has recently test driven the last and greatest version too.

If you'd like i'll put you in contact.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:48:56 am »
Tim Hall has one.  I've seen him cycle it on a FNRttC to Brighton, with Mrs Tim Hall on the front.  They made it up Ditchling OK, which impressed me, but I don't know if theirs has suspension or not.
Actually, it is rocket science.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:03:48 am »
Yes, Tim's is a lovely machine.  I do want one, but it never gets to the top of the Shed Fund List ;D

I wanted one as a first tandem, so my stoker was recumbent and closer to me so he could tell me if he had problems.  But it was a lot of money to gamble on something which we thought might not work.  We got a KHS, and it did work, but the Pino is a coooool tandem.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:05:10 am »
I'd like a tadpole version.   

Tim

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2010, 10:09:05 am »
Tim has one (as already mentioned upthread). We took one for a test ride a few weeks ago as a potential niche filler of a seperable tandem*. It's a nice bike and rides well, but we came to the conclusion that we didn't need to spec up a bike to £4.5k to fill such a niche (but if someone spots one second hand please point me in the direction).

In terms of suspension on recumbents I have both a suspended SMGT and an unsuspended windcheetah. For comfort the SMGT wins hands down, and a lot of non-fast recumbents (when luggage and comfort is a requirement over speed) are at least partially suspended, even some quick ones are at least partially suspended. The problem is you can't take the bumps through your legs as you would on an upright. I suspect that you would otherwise have to run a low pressure fat tyre for the benefit of the stoker which would lead to a danger of pinch punctures.

If you want to try one with suspension chat to JD cycles - their demonstrator is equipped with one and they'll happily let you play.

*We have since noticed that Virgin Atlantic's cycle policy stretches to taking tandems free of charge as sporting goods.