Author Topic: Intended Purpose  (Read 1816 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Intended Purpose
« on: 23 August, 2010, 09:32:05 pm »
One of my least-used n+1 is the Dawes Discovery Twin.  I bought it to get given more room on the road to take a blind friend out-and-about, but his guide dog didn't like the trailer ONE BIT.

The local CTC rep is arranging a training session for sighted tandemers to learn how to pilot with a blind-or-visually-impared stoker.  So I get to ride the tandem without the rear seat being situation-normal-empty.

Wish me luck.  And keep reminding me not to swing leg over bike when mounting/dismounting.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Intended Purpose
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2010, 01:17:49 am »
Good stuff.

It seems that riding with a deaf stoker is a bit ...interesting.  Especially when you're both n00bs.

« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2010, 08:02:17 am »
Excellent stuff.   I find that my partially-sighted stoker has bouts of extreme enthusiasm followed by forgetting to pedal  ;D   

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2010, 12:29:24 pm »
Total  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: moment just now.
I took the tandem to work today, to ensure it was all in working order for tomorrow's training session.  At lunchtime, I rode it to Sainsbury's, while in shirt & tie etc, rather than the lycra I wear for the commute.  As normal, I tucked my trouser-leg into my sock.

Wrong trouser-leg.  I got my LEFT trouser-leg caught in the timing chain.  Je suis un muppet.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2010, 03:56:30 pm »
Total  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: moment just now.
I took the tandem to work today, to ensure it was all in working order for tomorrow's training session.  At lunchtime, I rode it to Sainsbury's, while in shirt & tie etc, rather than the lycra I wear for the commute.  As normal, I tucked my trouser-leg into my sock.

Wrong trouser-leg.  I got my LEFT trouser-leg caught in the timing chain.  Je suis un muppet.
Respect for doing the training 8). And you made three tandemmers laugh - the other two guessed what was coming as I read your post! ;D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.